Christian faith (THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LIBERAL CHRISTIAN)

Christian faith (THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LIBERAL CHRISTIAN)...Cop Guy said that btw.

Originally posted by deciophobic
Christian faith (THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LIBERAL CHRISTIAN)...Cop Guy said that btw.

I wouldn't even respond to a dumb, blanket statement like that. :p:

i'm opening a can of worms, but i think the basics of it are that some issues that liberals support, i.e. pro-choice, homosexuality, are in direct conflict with the teaching of christianity

Originally posted by Bern80
i'm opening a can of worms, but i think the basics of it are that some issues that liberals support, i.e. pro-choice, homosexuality, are in direct conflict with the teaching of christianity

Now ya done it :D

Pro-choice is a decision a woman makes about her body.
Homosexuality is a decision one makes about their personal life.
Christianity is a religion.
The Bible is a book.

Liberals believe in liberty, the governance of law(by and for the people) and freedom from authoritarianism. Generally.

Originally posted by nycflasher
Now ya done it :D

Pro-choice is a decision a woman makes about her body.
Homosexuality is a decision one makes about their personal life.
Christianity is a religion.
The Bible is a book.

Liberals believe in liberty, the governance of law(by and for the people) and freedom from authoritarianism. Generally.

First, I am not a Christian. I am what one calls agnostic i guess. I'm just arguing the side. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

My question is how can one claim to hold values such as pro-choice and homosexuality and claim at the same time to part of a religion that directly opposes them?

First, I am not a Christian. I am what one calls agnostic i guess. I'm just arguing the side. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

My question is how can one claim to hold values such as pro-choice and homosexuality and claim at the same time to part of a religion that directly opposes them?

I don't agree w/ abortion, cept to save the mothers life. But it is still there choice, i can't force my views on them, let them do whatever they want.

i believe homosexuality is a sin...however, i dont believe gay marriage will ruin society. Killers are allowed to marry and they are sinners just like gays.

I believe in a clean environment and taking steps to help achieve that goal.

just a few examples.

I don't encourage abortion, but I recognize a woman's right to decisions involving her health and body...basicly.

I suppose I am agnostic, too, so saying homosexuality is a sin means little to me. Killing is a sin, surely there is a difference.

I believe that the United States needs to do more thaqn it currently is to promote a clean enviroment.

Could i get a direct answer to this sometime in the near future?
I help you out. It shoud start with something like "People can hold these beliefs and still be Christians because.......

I don't agree w/ abortion, cept to save the mothers life. But it is still there choice, i can't force my views on them, let them do whatever they want.

I have never understood this train of thought. We have been creating laws(pushing views on people) from what people "think" is right for quite a while. If you are not willing to defend what you think is right and change the world for the better becasue of what you think is right, what is the point in having a view pt in the first place.

She can do with HER body whatever she likes. I don't think that she should be free to do as she pleases with someone else's body. Half of the chromosomes of the fetus are from the father.

I support the outlawing of abortion except to save the life of the mother (and perhaps in cases of rape). If you don't want to bring a baby into the world, don't get pregnant.

Though we don't force our views on others, we do force behavior on others via the law.

homosexuality isn't a value to hold.

and you don't have to agree with everything in the liberal viewpoint to still be a liberal.

homosexuality isn't a value to hold.
okay, that homosexuality is okay would be though.

and you don't have to agree with everything in the liberal viewpoint to still be a liberal.

i agree, but that wasn't the question, the question was (and still is) how can these people claim to follow christianity.

okay, that homosexuality is okay would be though.

i agree, but that wasn't the question, the question was (and still is) how can these people claim to follow christianity.

i don't think you get what i'm saying...there is more to liberalism than just gay marriage and abortion. most of it is political.

Let's take gay marriage, which most liberals are in favor of.

Do i think homosexuality is a sin? Yes.
Do I think they should still be allowed to marry? Yes.
Murder is a sin, yet they are still allowed to marry, why not gays? Sins are sinz.

Murder is a sin, yet they are still allowed to marry, why not gays? Sins are sinz.

I have no problem with homosexualty. My problem is with gay marriage becasue "marriage" is a term derived from a religin that opposes homosexuality.

Yes I know there is more to a liberal than these two issues, but you must admit they are a couple of the bigger ones. They are also major issues in the bible as well. My original question still stands.

In response to the argument that there are no liberal Christians or that this is somehow hypocritical....I can think of many devoutly Christian friends of mine, including one clergyman who would strongly disagree with that statement.

acludem

Jesus was, in our American definition, a Liberal. I advise that you just read his words and abide them and you too will call yourself a liberal as Americans understand the term.

As a Christian who is also a conservative (but not a "conservative Christian" as that term is used today) I know several Christians who hold liberal values. They believe, for example, that Jesus' admonition to help the poor and downtrodden is a command for society to follow, not just individuals. I also know Christians who believe that homosexuality is not a sin. Those people I don't understand. The people who believe that Jesus' commands are meant for society as a whole to follow, I disagree with, but I understand their reasoning.

Originally posted by Psychoblues
Jesus was, in our American definition, a Liberal. I advise that you just read his words and abide them and you too will call yourself a liberal as Americans understand the term.

Jesus advocated higher taxes, forced wealth redistribution, and repression of the free market? I'd love to see those verses.

Originally posted by Psychoblues

what? here all along I thought jesus preached love for your fellow man, free will, and a pure life. silly me.

Forum List

Back