Chevy Volt Failure: The Next Obama Solyndra Scandal?

I am not rooting for the failure of any technology. I am against government bail outs of private industry.

As for Government Motors- GM will most likely be out of business within 10 years or less. They have an unsustainable legacy cost burden and let's face it , a lot their product is, well, not so great. They never paid back the bailout money and never will.

Why not?

Other governments around the world invest in new technologies and actually WANT their companies to do better. The Japanese auto industry would never be where it is today without investment from their government

China is kicking our butt in solar technology as Conservatives cheer the failure of Solyndra......Ha ...Ha......we told you solar technology was a FAIL
Try and stay focused buddy. We are talking about GM- not solar.

I oppose "bail outs" because I oppose Crony Capitalism. We don't need some bureaucrat sitting in DC picking winners and losers. That is what the marketplace is for. If the product is good- people will buy it. If not, well too fucking bad. GM failed - they should have file BK and reorganized. Instead Obama turned it into a Union payback scheme at taxpayer expense. I don't know how anyone with a shred of intellect can attempt to defend this blatant Crony Capitalism.
If you'll notice, no one with a shred of intellect is defending it. The leftists are.

can one of you guys do the math and caculate how many volts chevy needs to sell to pay off the billion dollar loan? I dont remember how much the Dem's gave GM. I can only guess between 50 and 100,000 units? am i close?

I have 2 GM Cars and enjoy both of them, the main reason I purchased a GM because number one have always driven one, and number two I tend to like the idea that my money is going to an American company. Again, while some may not like the idea of bailouts and in principle I don't myself, however when it comes to industries the sad fact remains that in order to compete on a world stage in which almost all these industries receive subsidies from their Govts. I would rather our industries be promoted by our Govt. rather than sit back and let the rest of the world out compete us because we refuse to support our own domestic industires the same way. This is just my humble opinion, there needs to be more of this supporting American industry not less and less supporting of overseas industry. Here is a good example, that I always like to turn to, recently before it was cancelled after spending over 100 Million dollars, the new Presidential Helicopter was awared to an Italian company that gets subsidies from its Govt. at the expense of American Industry! See what I mean? So when it comes to the Volt, I am all for promotion of anything that promotes American Industry it would be a nice change of pace from the Wal Mart Culture we have become.

I am not rooting for the failure of any technology. I am against government bail outs of private industry.

As for Government Motors- GM will most likely be out of business within 10 years or less. They have an unsustainable legacy cost burden and let's face it , a lot their product is, well, not so great. They never paid back the bailout money and never will.

Why not?

Other governments around the world invest in new technologies and actually WANT their companies to do better. The Japanese auto industry would never be where it is today without investment from their government

China is kicking our butt in solar technology as Conservatives cheer the failure of Solyndra......Ha ...Ha......we told you solar technology was a FAIL
If solar was so awesome, Solyndra wouldn't have flushed a half a billion tax dollars down the toilet. You know, like Obama was told would happen.

:lol::lol::lol: Great logic. One solar company goes bankrupt; therefore, solar technology sucks.

ancient-aliens-i-dont-know-therefore-aliens.jpg

Why not?

If solar was so awesome, Solyndra wouldn't have flushed a half a billion tax dollars down the toilet. You know, like Obama was told would happen.

:lol::lol::lol: Great logic. One solar company goes bankrupt; therefore, solar technology sucks.

ancient-aliens-i-dont-know-therefore-aliens.jpg
Solyndra's certainly did, didn't it?

Bring back the late 80's Camaro and IROC-Z !! then maybe GM will see some profit. (White&Red Combo IROC-Z, the car Ive always wanted !!! are there any left?}

Bring back the late 80's Camaro and IROC-Z !! then maybe GM will see some profit. (White&Red Combo IROC-Z, the car Ive always wanted !!! are there any left?}

My neighbor has one just sitting in the desert , I've tried to buy it from him for years but my last effort of trying to tell him how much more room he would have to plant roses in his back yard didn't work . It's been sitting there for 5 years now, it's a shame too.

The Volt is selling very well recently.

It's dumb fuck comments like that Franco which contribute to your ratio of almost 2,000 posts vs. 13 reps.

13??? way to high. BRB.

I've noticed all the circle jerk brainwashed RW ignorami have an obsession with repping each other. Kind of like their heroes, the bought off lying RW propaganda machine, Rushbo/Fox/Savage/Moonie/Breitbart/Heritage/Kochbots. Very impressive!! Pffft! LOL

1 of 38 major alternative energy projests has gone belly up, dingbatt brainwashees....

No lie is too big for the Pubs, stupidest and greediest party in the modern world.

I have 2 GM Cars and enjoy both of them, the main reason I purchased a GM because number one have always driven one, and number two I tend to like the idea that my money is going to an American company. Again, while some may not like the idea of bailouts and in principle I don't myself, however when it comes to industries the sad fact remains that in order to compete on a world stage in which almost all these industries receive subsidies from their Govts. I would rather our industries be promoted by our Govt. rather than sit back and let the rest of the world out compete us because we refuse to support our own domestic industires the same way. This is just my humble opinion, there needs to be more of this supporting American industry not less and less supporting of overseas industry. Here is a good example, that I always like to turn to, recently before it was cancelled after spending over 100 Million dollars, the new Presidential Helicopter was awared to an Italian company that gets subsidies from its Govt. at the expense of American Industry! See what I mean? So when it comes to the Volt, I am all for promotion of anything that promotes American Industry it would be a nice change of pace from the Wal Mart Culture we have become.

I drive Fords. When I feel the need to replace my pickup, I'm pretty confident they'll still be around.

My neighbor has one just sitting in the desert , I've tried to buy it from him for years but my last effort of trying to tell him how much more room he would have to plant roses in his back yard didn't work . It's been sitting there for 5 years now, it's a shame too.

Well, nostalgia is great, but many compact cars these days wipe out IROCs in every performance category, and lasts 3 times as long.
Unfortunately, fun has been outlawed, and enforced. lol Too many people dadgummit.

Why not?

Solyndra is not so much an indictment of solar technology as an indictment of barack obama's economic expertise and ethics.

It's dumb fuck comments like that Franco which contribute to your ratio of almost 2,000 posts vs. 13 reps.

13??? way to high. BRB.

I've noticed all the circle jerk brainwashed RW ignorami have an obsession with repping each other. Kind of like their heroes, the bought off lying RW propaganda machine, Rushbo/Fox/Savage/Moonie/Breitbart/Heritage/Kochbots. Very impressive!! Pffft! LOL

1 of 38 major alternative energy projests has gone belly up, dingbatt brainwashees....

No lie is too big for the Pubs, stupidest and greediest party in the modern world.

Gotta rep 8 more brainwashed RW ignorami before I can neg you again. Volunteers?

Last edited:

Why not?

Try and stay focused buddy. We are talking about GM- not solar.

I oppose "bail outs" because I oppose Crony Capitalism. We don't need some bureaucrat sitting in DC picking winners and losers. That is what the marketplace is for. If the product is good- people will buy it. If not, well too fucking bad. GM failed - they should have file BK and reorganized. Instead Obama turned it into a Union payback scheme at taxpayer expense. I don't know how anyone with a shred of intellect can attempt to defend this blatant Crony Capitalism.

I worked in R&D for over 30 years. Private industry does not want to risk the capital on a project that may not pay off for 10-20 years. Coporations worry about how they are doing next quarter.....20 years is a lifetime

We need BIG GOVERNMENT to step up to the plate and invest in products that will keep the US at the forefront of emerging technologies. Some of those technologies will lead to something big while others will fail. We can't kill all government R&D because we don't see immediate returns

Solyndra is not so much an indictment of solar technology as an indictment of barack obama's economic expertise and ethics.

Agreed. I like the technology. There is an excellent Solar Technology company in Michigan called UNI-SOLAR. They manufacture a thin film solar sheet....

Forum List

Back