House Republicans Pissing Away Middle-Class Tax Cut?

Sundial

Class Warrior
Aug 1, 2011
In a surprise turnabout, Republicans in the House of Representatives are now pushing for a one-year extension of the payroll tax cut and have rejected a short-term compromise struck by Republicans and Democrats in the Senate during the weekend.

House Republicans initially opposed renewing the tax break, which expires on December 31, after expressing skepticism that it would boost the economy as the White House claimed.

House Speaker John Boehner, the top Republican in Congress, said his chamber would vote on Monday and likely reject the Senate bill passed on Saturday, despite it having the blessing of Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell.

Even some Senate Republicans were attacking House colleagues for opposing the two-month extension.

"The House Republicans' plan to scuttle the deal to help middle-class families is irresponsible and wrong," said Republican Senator Scott Brown.

Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics, speaking to Reuters Insider, bluntly warned: "I do think recession odds will rise quite significantly early next year if it is not extended."

Payroll tax cut extension stuck in partisan fight | Reuters

I wonder if the Republicans haven't really changed their minds about it - if they're still against it - but don't feel like they can just come right out and say so. This would give them cover - they can say, "Hey, we TRIED to pass it - we just wanted it to be for a whole year, not just two months (or whatever)."

In a surprise turnabout, Republicans in the House of Representatives are now pushing for a one-year extension of the payroll tax cut and have rejected a short-term compromise struck by Republicans and Democrats in the Senate during the weekend.

House Republicans initially opposed renewing the tax break, which expires on December 31, after expressing skepticism that it would boost the economy as the White House claimed.

House Speaker John Boehner, the top Republican in Congress, said his chamber would vote on Monday and likely reject the Senate bill passed on Saturday, despite it having the blessing of Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell.

Even some Senate Republicans were attacking House colleagues for opposing the two-month extension.

"The House Republicans' plan to scuttle the deal to help middle-class families is irresponsible and wrong," said Republican Senator Scott Brown.

Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics, speaking to Reuters Insider, bluntly warned: "I do think recession odds will rise quite significantly early next year if it is not extended."

I wonder if the Republicans haven't really changed their minds about it - if they're still against it - but don't feel like they can just come right out and say so. This would give them cover - they can say, "Hey, we TRIED to pass it - we just wanted it to be for a whole year, not just two months (or whatever)."

Seriously! Do you realize that the big generous democrats and their tax cuts are also cutting desperately needed funds to social security and medicare? How will you explain those loses to the generation following this one when they come up lacking? Give as much detail as you can. Social security lost 111 billion dollars last year because of this tax cut. How many years can that go on? doyathink?

Left, Right, Middle. It is over! Pop the corn, grab a beer and watch the country implode. We can not stop it now. The television political school has indoctrinated the left to hate the right and the right to hate the left.
Americans are idiots. They will watch the country that use to belong to them squeeze the last sense of hope from the very soul of the people. The people of this nation will never unite even at the ultimate demise of the principles this country was founded on. My friend enjoy your back and forth petty arguments and when the last person gets their pink slip and they are kicked out into the street to savage their fellow man for enough food to stay alive, even then more than likely they will look for someone to blame when the entire time the problem was staring at them in the mirror.
Saving to get the hell off of this nightmare of a continent, however I have a large family. I hope I can survive legally till then. Good Luck. By the way, here is an example of why this country is screwed.
Prime example is the vote and redistricting is set up so you can not even fire those who are destroying this country with the vote, and the politicians want authority over the judicial system. Crazy stuff. Enjoy the show. It will be historical, right up there with the fall of the Roman Empire.

Seriously! Do you realize that the big generous democrats and their tax cuts are also cutting desperately needed funds to social security and medicare? How will you explain those loses to the generation following this one when they come up lacking? Give as much detail as you can. Social security lost 111 billion dollars last year because of this tax cut. How many years can that go on? doyathink?
They will explain it by blaming it all on Bush and the republicans, like they always do.

And of course according to Reuters, it's all the Republicans fault.

who didn't see this coming.

Left, Right, Middle. It is over! Pop the corn, grab a beer and watch the country implode. We can not stop it now. The television political school has indoctrinated the left to hate the right and the right to hate the left.
Americans are idiots. They will watch the country that use to belong to them squeeze the last sense of hope from the very soul of the people. The people of this nation will never unite even at the ultimate demise of the principles this country was founded on. My friend enjoy your back and forth petty arguments and when the last person gets their pink slip and they are kicked out into the street to savage their fellow man for enough food to stay alive, even then more than likely they will look for someone to blame when the entire time the problem was staring at them in the mirror.
Saving to get the hell off of this nightmare of a continent, however I have a large family. I hope I can survive legally till then. Good Luck. By the way, here is an example of why this country is screwed.
Prime example is the vote and redistricting is set up so you can not even fire those who are destroying this country with the vote, and the politicians want authority over the judicial system. Crazy stuff. Enjoy the show. It will be historical, right up there with the fall of the Roman Empire.

Yeah, I dont think they should be able to gerrymander there districts, they should be held accountable with whomever is in there district the entire time they hold office, no moving district lines and what not. That is how assholes like Byrd held office for 60+ years.

So you're saying they ARE against it?

We aren't opposing the tax cut. We are simply asking that if you want us to compromise and agree to it, that you need to compromise and agree to the Pipeline.

Not completely unreasonable and it's a win win for everyone except Obama when it comes to donations.

We aren't opposing the tax cut. We are simply asking that if you want us to compromise and agree to it, that you need to compromise and agree to the Pipeline.

Not completely unreasonable and it's a win win for everyone except Obama when it comes to donations.

Wait. If you're not against it, how is it a compromise?

Wait. If you're not against it, how is it a compromise?

Because it's what you want. Not what we want.

So you're saying they ARE against it?

Everyone should be against it.

that would only make sense it all money collected from the pipe line be put into the emptied out social security fund. Even that trade is short sighted.

They do want it to be for a year. They don't want to be on that side of this fight again before the elections. They'll take a beating.

^^^ "Compromise"
Republicans: We want a tax cut on middle-class Americans.
Obama: Great! Let's do it.
Republicans: Wait.
Obama: What?
Republicans: Give us some other stuff too.
Obama: Uh...
Republicans: It's a compromise!

You dishonest scumbag!

First, the HOUSE Republicans passed a bill that would have provided the AMERICAN MIDDLE CLASSES tens of thousands of jobs with the pipeline. The DEMOCRATIC Senate shot it down.

Second, the SENATE DIMOCRATS want a 2 month deal and the GOP wants a YEAR deal. Two month is NOTHING, a full year is something!

Third, the Dimocrats have done dick and this and are playing politics to try to make it appear the GOP wants to raise taxes on the middle class. That is their theme. With one half of one branch in Congress, you libtards give them way too much credit!

Neg

So the plan is to short the SS fund and do nothing for jobs. Brilliant. I've seen smarter retarded algae.

So... you're saying the Republicans ARE against the tax cut, right?

Or are you saying they're retarded algae?

New Topics

Forum List

Back