Change baseball

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
I was out at a local watering hole the other night with my lovely wife and of course there was a baseball game on the TVs in the bar.

Now most of you know that I don't waste my time watching pampered overpaid athletes on the idiot box but I couldn't escape it.

As I watched some of the game I realized that baseball has got to be the most boring game on the planet.

I watched as the pitcher took about 5 minutes to throw the ball. The hitter swung, missed then had to walk around for a few minutes, fix his gloves, tap his shoes with the bat then take a few swings all just to wait a few more minutes for the pitcher to throw another ball.

It was agonizing.

IMO Baseball should be put on a clock like any other team sport. Now I realize that the entire game can't be subject to a time limit but there should be a pitch clock similar to the play clock in football or the shot clock in basketball.

At least then the game would move along at something more than a snail's pace.

I was out at a local watering hole the other night with my lovely wife and of course there was a baseball game on the TVs in the bar.

Now most of you know that I don't waste my time watching pampered overpaid athletes on the idiot box but I couldn't escape it.

As I watched some of the game I realized that baseball has got to be the most boring game on the planet.

I watched as the pitcher took about 5 minutes to throw the ball. The hitter swung, missed then had to walk around for a few minutes, fix his gloves, tap his shoes with the bat then take a few swings all just to wait a few more minutes for the pitcher to throw another ball.

It was agonizing.

IMO Baseball should be put on a clock like any other team sport. Now I realize that the entire game can't be subject to a time limit but there should be a pitch clock similar to the play clock in football or the shot clock in basketball.

Only a true baseball fan can understand and appreciate everything that goes on during a game. The time spent between pitches has a lot to do with the pitcher and catcher thinking about what pitch to throw next, and the batter thinking about what pitch might be coming next.

I think we should change baseball too. Instead, of grass, it should be played on ice. And instead of a diamond, it should be played on a rink. And we should replace the ball and bat with a puck and sticks. And everyone should be on skates, five aside and a goalie.

Then, baseball would be awesome.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

It was agonizing.

Only a true baseball fan can understand and appreciate everything that goes on during a game. The time spent between pitches has a lot to do with the pitcher and catcher thinking about what pitch to throw next, and the batter thinking about what pitch might be coming next.

Plus, fans need time to order beers.

I think we should change baseball too. Instead, of grass, it should be played on ice. And instead of a diamond, it should be played on a rink. And we should replace the ball and bat with a puck and sticks. And everyone should be on skates, five aside and a goalie.

What would happen with all the black players?

What would happen with all the black players?

What do you mean "all the?". There's almost as many blacks in hockey as there are in baseball!

Oh I have thought about this as well. If I could change baseball I would do the following:

1) Remove the rule about having to drop the bat as you round the bases. Basemen can hold a shield.

2) Put offensive players on each base as well as defensive players.

3) Replace the baseball with a small cannonball....which can be used by defensive players to...ahem...defend the base.

4) Slugouts will count.

so with those we get this hypothetical play between the Mariners (at bat) and the Rangers (pitching)

The Rangers' pitcher pulls the cord on the cannon and shoots the ball. The Mariners' batter connects with a dribbling grounder halfway to the mound. The Mariners' catcher grabs the Rangers' catcher around the throat and horse-collars him leaving the pitcher the only guy to charge for the ball. The batter charges toward first, bat in hand where the Rangers' first baseman has performed a wicked knee drop on the Mariners' first baseman and is wide open. But the batter fakes high with the bat and takes the Rangers' first baseman out at the knee. Noticing the base runner rounding first the pitcher lobs the ball to second but the Mariners' second baseman rips the shield from the Rangers player and cones him with it. The ball rolls to center where the Rangers' outfielder races to make the play. Rounding second the base runner sees the Rangers shortstop has defeated his opponent and is going for a low tackle. The base runner leaps over the defender as the ball goes whizzing by his ear where it's intercepted by the Mariners' third baseman. With an open path the base runner sprints for third as the Rangers' third baseman uses his shield to take the ball holder out at the ankle. The ball dribbles out of his hand toward second base. The Rangers' left fielder has been paying attention and has rushed toward the baseline. He picks up the ball and hurls it to the plate but the baserunner hurls the bat toward the Mariners' catcher who in a stunning move grabs the bat out of the air bringing it down on the shoulder of the Rangers' catcher's body armor. The ball is dropped and the base runner touches the plate. HOME RUN!!!!

Now THAT'S a game I will watch!!!!

Last edited:

Yeah, we all know you are a frail little social outcast who is intimidated by the mere sight of athletes, but if you don't understand or appreciate baseball just STFU and go back to hiding in the bushes.

It was agonizing.

I can tell you've never managed a baseball team.

Have a pitchers duel and the games are usually pretty short anyways.

Have a game where there are a good amount of baserunners and the time flies by, as the strategies change from pitch to pitch.

I love baseball.

Spank.png

It was agonizing.

In fact high school games are time structured, if a batter steps out of the box without permission a strike is called, games are generally limited to two hours. I'm glad my playing days were over when such a sacrilege was imposed on today's players. Aluminum bats are hersey too, for it robs the pitcher of a real skill - sawing the bat off in a batter's hands. The DH robs the game of strategy, an American League manager has little to do today but spit and check the computer to decide his next move.

See, most of you on the right consider me a liberal or progressive - but those of us a bit left of center can be conservative too. Putting baseball on the clock would be an act of revolution making you Skull Pilot a far left commie libtard!:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

It was agonizing.

A football team can call a play and get the ball snapped in 40 seconds. It shouldn't take a pitcher more than 30 seconds to decide what to throw.

Yeah, we all know you are a frail little social outcast who is intimidated by the mere sight of athletes, but if you don't understand or appreciate baseball just STFU and go back to hiding in the bushes.

Yeah a little pantywaist like you would think a baseball player is an athlete. Shit I bet you think bowling is a sport too.

There are time limits at some levels. I believe NCAA baseball has a 20 second pitch timer. Some pitchers work faster than others.......but none take more than 30 seconds unless they are working at keeping a runner close.

Composite bats, having a larger sweet spot and being easier to swing with speed, present a challenge that requires greater skill from pitchers...........not less.

The game is popular because it is difficult to master. Unlike other sports.....every position is a skill position. Pure athleticism is not enough in most cases.

There are time limits at some levels. I believe NCAA baseball has a 20 second pitch timer. Some pitchers work faster than others.......but none take more than 30 seconds unless they are working at keeping a runner close.

Composite bats, having a larger sweet spot and being easier to swing with speed, present a challenge that requires greater skill from pitchers...........not less.

The game is popular because it is difficult to master. Unlike other sports.....every position is a skill position. Pure athleticism is not enough in most cases.

Thank you for calling baseball a game and not a sport.

IMO baseball, bowling and golf should not be considered sports as they require no real athleticism nor any real effort and besides players of these games don't even need to be physically fit in order to participate.

Yeah a little pantywaist like you would think a baseball player is an athlete. Shit I bet you think bowling is a sport too.

That means a lot coming from you, Poindexter, who pisses himself from just seeing an athlete on that darn evil TV machine.

IMO baseball, bowling and golf should not be considered sports as they require no real athleticism nor any real effort and besides players of these games don't even need to be physically fit in order to participate.

Thanks for proving yet again what an ignorant little weakling you are, Poindexter.

Thanks for proving yet again what an ignorant little weakling you are, Poindexter.

While you're sitting on that fat flabby ass of yours I'm actually doing physical activity.

So why don't you get off that gargantuan ass of yours and do one or two push ups since i doubt you can do more

While you're sitting on that fat flabby ass of yours I'm actually doing physical activity.

So why don't you get off that gargantuan ass of yours and do one or two push ups since i doubt you can do more

Don't kid yourself, weakling. You could jazzersize, or whatever you ridiculous weaklings do, and never come close if you live another 100 years. Go sit down, Poindexter.

Forum List

Back