Census Creating Majority of Jobs

I've heard that if someone worked for the census for any part of one day, it was counted as a created job. Does anyone know if this is true?

I will check Fox and get you your thoughts and ideas.

Now where the hell did that answer come from??

I did not hear this from Fox. I don't watch Fox, or any of the other "news" channels. As a matter of fact, I haven't turned on my TV in months.

I heard it from one of my employees yesterday, and thought if there was any place I could get the truth, it would be USMB.

If anyone but this spazz can help me with an answer, I would appreciate it.

They hate big government, yet they want the big bad government to "take over" the oil spill.

Link please, or you're just talking out of your ass again...

You are kidding righty? When I ask the question "are you talking out of your ass" I do it because there is no way that person makes sense/is serious/or I really think they dont realize how dumb they are.

You are not serious...you do know people are asking what the government will do in response to this oil thing. You do know this dont you?

So you have no link with anyone wanting Barry & Crew to "take over"?

Agreed?

I've heard that if someone worked for the census for any part of one day, it was counted as a created job. Does anyone know if this is true?

I did not hear this from Fox. I don't watch Fox, or any of the other "news" channels. As a matter of fact, I haven't turned on my TV in months.

I heard it from one of my employees yesterday, and thought if there was any place I could get the truth, it would be USMB.

Here's answer to your question.....

The New York Post recounts the phony job count:

Last week, one of the millions of workers hired by Census 2010 to parade around the country counting Americans blew the whistle on some statistical tricks.

The worker, Naomi Cohn, told The Post that she was hired and fired a number of times by Census. Each time she was hired back, it seems, Census was able to report the creation of a new job to the Labor Department. . . .

Each month Census gives Labor a figure on the number of workers it has hired. That figure goes into the closely followed monthly employment report Labor provides. For the past two months the hiring by Census has made up a good portion of the new jobs.

Labor doesn’t check the Census hiring figure or whether the jobs are actually new or recycled. It considers a new job to have been created if someone is hired to work at least one hour a month.

One hour! A month! So, if a worker is terminated after only one hour and another is hired in her place, then a second new job can apparently be reported to Labor.
http://www.ihatethemedia.com/census-bureau-created-and-recreated-millions-of-jobs

PS zona AKA Phyllis is a blooming idiot

Last edited:

Here's answer to your question.....

The New York Post recounts the phony job count:

Last week, one of the millions of workers hired by Census 2010 to parade around the country counting Americans blew the whistle on some statistical tricks.

The worker, Naomi Cohn, told The Post that she was hired and fired a number of times by Census. Each time she was hired back, it seems, Census was able to report the creation of a new job to the Labor Department. . . .

Each month Census gives Labor a figure on the number of workers it has hired. That figure goes into the closely followed monthly employment report Labor provides. For the past two months the hiring by Census has made up a good portion of the new jobs.

Labor doesn’t check the Census hiring figure or whether the jobs are actually new or recycled. It considers a new job to have been created if someone is hired to work at least one hour a month.

One hour! A month! So, if a worker is terminated after only one hour and another is hired in her place, then a second new job can apparently be reported to Labor.
http://www.ihatethemedia.com/census-bureau-created-and-recreated-millions-of-jobs

Thank you, I knew someone here would clarify this for me.

Except that it is real people who are getting a paycheck.

Agreed, but it is still temporary and a numbers generator. Looks good doesnt it when the government can say the jobless rate went down and were on the way to recovery. What happens when the census is over?

By then, Obama's economic recovery will have created a permanent job for them

Please consider buying a typing monkey so you stop embarrassing yourself ......

If census jobs are helping the economy why would anyone complain? We are required to conduct a census every ten years, if the timing of the census comes at a time we need jobs......all the better

Agreed, but it is still temporary and a numbers generator. Looks good doesnt it when the government can say the jobless rate went down and were on the way to recovery. What happens when the census is over?

By then, Obama's economic recovery will have created a permanent job for them

Please consider buying a typing monkey so you stop embarrassing yourself ......

Aparently sangha is the unholy spawn of truthdoesntmatter and Autozona...

If census jobs are helping the economy why would anyone complain? We are required to conduct a census every ten years, if the timing of the census comes at a time we need jobs......all the better

I'm not complaining about the census jobs, I think it's great that people can earn something in these hard times.

It seems that there's some funny accounting as far as how many people are being helped with these jobs. 400K jobs would have been great, now that it seems there were far less than that, it doesn't look like as much as a boost to the economy as it should have been.

The government is creating most of the new jobs in America. The private sector is still hurting in job creation. Looks like the unemployment numbers are getting a bump from the part time census jobs. What happens next?

The economy added 431,000 jobs last month, pushing the unemployment rate down a little, but the government was responsible for most of the new hires as it brought on temporary workers for the massive U.S. Census effort.

The jobless rate fell to 9.7 percent from 9.9 percent in April, the Labor Department said.

Payrolls rose for the fifth consecutive month, with May's numbers marking the largest increase in non-farm employment in a single month in a decade, the New York Times said. But only 41,000 of the new jobs were in the private sector and most of the federal government hires were for Census work that will evaporate after the summer months.
Job Growth Surged in May, but Most Was Due to Temporary Census Hires

Another Obama fraud!!!! fixing numbers to fake job creation!!!! now is this the hope and change thet you voted for?
Got to laugh hire you one day then fire you and hire you the next day repeating this over and over this way in one week 5 jobs were created when only one was. What a bunch of bullshit!!!! Typical Obama and democrats!!!!!

No complaints if they just counted heads which is what the census is suppose to do, not count race. all men are created equal and race should not matter for congressional representation!!!

The government is creating most of the new jobs in America. The private sector is still hurting in job creation. Looks like the unemployment numbers are getting a bump from the part time census jobs. What happens next?

The economy added 431,000 jobs last month, pushing the unemployment rate down a little, but the government was responsible for most of the new hires as it brought on temporary workers for the massive U.S. Census effort.

The jobless rate fell to 9.7 percent from 9.9 percent in April, the Labor Department said.

Payrolls rose for the fifth consecutive month, with May's numbers marking the largest increase in non-farm employment in a single month in a decade, the New York Times said. But only 41,000 of the new jobs were in the private sector and most of the federal government hires were for Census work that will evaporate after the summer months.
Job Growth Surged in May, but Most Was Due to Temporary Census Hires

Another Obama fraud!!!! fixing numbers to fake job creation!!!! now is this the hope and change thet you voted for?
Got to laugh hire you one day then fire you and hire you the next day repeating this over and over this way in one week 5 jobs were created when only one was. What a bunch of bullshit!!!! Typical Obama and democrats!!!!!

I didn't vote for him, but I started this thread to show how the numbers are manipulated to look like everything is honkey-dorey.

Two more Census workers blow the whistle

Labor doesn't check the Census hiring figure or whether the jobs are actually new or recycled. It considers a new job to have been created if someone is hired to work at least one hour a month.

One hour! A month! So, if a worker is terminated after only one hour and another is hired in her place, then a second new job can apparently be reported to Labor . (I've been unable to get Census to explain this to me.)

Here's a note from a Census worker -- this one from Manhattan:

"John: I am on my fourth rehire with the 2010 Census.

"I have been hired, trained for a week, given a few hours of work, then laid off. So my unemployed self now counts for four new jobs.

"I have been paid more to train all four times than I have been paid to actually produce results. These are my tax dollars and your tax dollars at work.

I'm not complaining about the census jobs, I think it's great that people can earn something in these hard times.

It seems that there's some funny accounting as far as how many people are being helped with these jobs. 400K jobs would have been great, now that it seems there were far less than that, it doesn't look like as much as a boost to the economy as it should have been.

Love your sig..

As a special note to Zona, I hope the Eagles get beat by every team in the league, the Brownies, the Lighthouse for the Blind, and a hand-picked team from the morgue.

As I said (when responding to your neg rep), my eagles always lose. Its what they do. We all know it, expect it, and curse when it happens. Whats your point? lol

Love your sig..

As a special note to Zona, I hope the Eagles get beat by every team in the league, the Brownies, the Lighthouse for the Blind, and a hand-picked team from the morgue.

As I said (when responding to your neg rep), my eagles always lose. Its what they do. We all know it, expect it, and curse when it happens. Whats your point? lol

If you're going to take a shot at me by implying that I'm stupid and need a television station to tell me what to think, then I'm going to return fire and take a swipe at something that appears important to you.

And yes, I will neg rep anyone who implies that I'm stupid, or am incapable of independent thoughts.

Love your sig..

If you're going to take a shot at me by implying that I'm stupid and need a television station to tell me what to think, then I'm going to return fire and take a swipe at something that appears important to you.

And yes, I will neg rep anyone who implies that I'm stupid, or am incapable of independent thoughts.

Listen Sean, dont Rush to think that I care about you slamming my team. Glenn, my team sucks, they always have and always will, but its still my team. Saying things against my Eagles wont make you as sly as a Fox. We have sucked for so long now. Remember when they recruited Bachmann? How dumb was that! Oh golly, you betcha.

I tell you what, during this season, I will report (to you), you decide if you like them. We lost McNabb, but we will pick up O'reilly and friends. After we get them, we will kill Meade on the other team. I hate him.

"Go Eagles (please)"
:eusa_whistle:

Fucking Fox fans are idots. There are a lot of them, and that is the scary part. They have great ratings because that side loves to be told what to think.

Last edited:
You don't have to be conservative to understand that the census has gone way past its original intent. This is not an enumeration; it's an invasion of privacy. I haven't participated in a census since 1980.

How so? What questions on the census are an "invasion of privacy"?

Count heads not racial information. All men are created equal. what does race have to do with it. If this data is use to buy buses or build roads for example, what does race have to do with it? Billions spent to count heads. here is a good form for the census department and really simple

How many people live at this address? fill in the blank__________.

Do we need ten questions to ask the only one needed and called for in the constitutiion?
It would take the government like ours to screw up a simple process of counting heads and then spend billions doing it. And these morons will be in charge of my healthcare. God help us all!!!!!!! just think of the stupid questions you will have to answer to get any health care services.

The questions were very telling. The race thing especially. And since they are counting heads and asking race questions as fair game, why didn't they ask which of throes heads counted is legal or illegal. Now that would be a census.

At the risk of being immodest, I quote myself:

The Census just added 600,000 more workers for the door to door count.

I’ve discovered that many of our new enumerators, working on the Nonresponse Followup activities of the 2010 Census, are Facebook fans or have looked at my blog, so this is a message to them:

Welcome to the 2010 Census!

You are the heart of the operations for the second half of the census. To everyone you meet as an enumerator, you are also the face of the US Federal government. It’s a big responsibility; you must treat everyone with respect, even though not everyone will treat you with similar respect.

Our “customers” are those who have not yet been counted. You’ll probably meet some people with very little understanding of the census, and some with very deep understanding. Each person will have their own perspective on what we’re asking of them. Listening to what they have to say is an important step for you to effectively communicate our message to them.

You’re probably working in neighborhoods around your own home, but may have assignments in parts that aren’t as familiar to you. One of the interesting things in the job is meeting people you ordinarily would not know. It’s an adventure; remember to enjoy that part of the job.

We are relying on you – to make sure we count everyone once and only once and in the right place. We are asking about the April 1, 2010, composition of the houses you visit. You’ll probably find some complicated situations that aren’t easy applications of the training guidelines. Ask for help when you need it, to make sure we get things right.

According to the Census website, the total field operations for the Census consists of 1.2M people.

Math:

There are approx. 113M households in the U.S. The response rate on the census was 72% ( 2010 Census ), which means 31.6M households need to be visited.

With 1.2M field operations staff, that comes to 26 households to visit person, or 52 if working in teams of two. The door-door phase goes from May through July, 3 months. Assuming 60 workdays (which is what a normal person would work during this time)...well, let's lower it to 52, that means only 1 household visit per team per day.

I don't get it. I suspect there is a minority of Census workers who are quite busy (at least a couple of them are USMB members) while a bunch of them are doing nothing. My guesstimate is that the census is overstaffed by a factor of at least 3X.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2281435

It's also telling that this census, on a constant dollar basis, will cost nearly 2.5X per capita what the 2000 one cost.

Forum List

Back