Cats now killing billions of other mammals

cat-gun.jpg

...:eusa_shhh:

Predation is not necessarily a bad thing.

Over the years man has reduced the predator population...the feral cats are filling a vacancy we created.

Ummmm, no. Obviously you're just as stupid as dottie. dottie made the assertion so HE has to provide the evidence to support it nimrod. You see how that works? YOU make the assertion, YOU support with evidence. dottie tried to insult Mr H and Mr. H rightfully slammed dottie, then you, obviously trying to suck up to the aforementioned dottie jumped on the bandwagon.

Sheesh you asshats are all alike. You don't ever practice what you preach....how unsurprising.

This isn't the Flame Zone, Priscilla.

DC didn't make the assertion; Mr. H did.

Then i suggest you read the thread again dumbass.

Another one who makes shit up as he goes. You're as bad as special Ed - but with a much smaller vocabulary.

We need to educate people about cats. They really do not need to roam and have much shorter lives if they're allowed. They're less healthy and often killed by dogs, cars or disease.

I used to disagree with TNR and believed it best to trap and euthanize feral cats. I've since learned that feral cat colonies can remain stable for generations, thereby not adding to the death rate of wildlife. BUT, they need to have people who are committed to altering, vaccinating and feeding.

Keeping cats inside and altering keeps everyone happy. Cat lovers and wildlife.

Umm, "feral cat colonies can remain stable for generations" but...they need humans to feed them and vaccinate them for diseases. What about the word feral don't you understand?

The US Fish and Wildlife has a set of voluntary guidelines to reduce bird deaths. The Forest Service has studied how many deaths are attributal to various sources and the Fish and Wildlife department is doing the same;

"A 2005 Forest Service report estimated that 500 million to possibly more than 1 billion birds are killed in the U.S. every year in collisions with manmade structures such as vehicles, buildings, power lines, telecommunication towers and wind turbines. The report estimated that 550 million are killed by buildings and 130 million by power lines, while only 28,000 are killed by wind turbines; a 2009 report by Fish and Wildlife scientist put the figure at 440,000 annual bird deaths by wind turbines"

Some scientist have begun to study how the color of the wind turbines might have an effect on bird deaths. Certain colors attract more insects (the kind that birds and bats like to eat) and found that bird deaths were up significantly at night and during the summer (insect time). They found that lavender colors attract the least amount of insect. The studies did not have a conclusion one way or another, just looking at different causes for the bird deaths.

If any of you were really interested in the answers to your kittah's vs. birds vs. wind turbines question you could have looked it up yourself. But, I get it sometimes it's fun to just sit back and snipe at other posters and call each other names like 12 year olds sitting on the monkey bars.

You fuckers. ;)

Last edited:
The US Fish and Wildlife has a set of voluntary guidelines to reduce bird deaths. The Forest Service has studied how many deaths are attributal to various sources and the Fish and Wildlife department is doing the same;

"A 2005 Forest Service report estimated that 500 million to possibly more than 1 billion birds are killed in the U.S. every year in collisions with manmade structures such as vehicles, buildings, power lines, telecommunication towers and wind turbines. The report estimated that 550 million are killed by buildings and 130 million by power lines, while only 28,000 are killed by wind turbines; a 2009 report by Fish and Wildlife scientist put the figure at 440,000 annual bird deaths by wind turbines"

Some scientist have begun to study how the color of the wind turbines might have an effect on bird deaths. Certain colors attract more insects (the kind that birds and bats like to eat) and found that bird deaths were up significantly at night and during the summer (insect time). They found that lavender colors attract the least amount of insect. The studies did not have a conclusion one way or another, just looking at different causes for the bird deaths.

If any of you were really interested in the answers to your kittah's vs. birds vs. wind turbines question you could have looked it up yourself. But, I get it sometimes it's fun to just sit back and snipe at other posters and call each other names like 12 year olds sitting on the monkey bars.

You fuckers. ;)

I've posted the wind turbine studies on at least two occasions. Flicker Vertigo is the most likely cause of the birds flying into the blades. That too has been posted. You are relatively new to the forum and these folks have a very long history of ignoring posted links, and just general douchebaggery.

I've posted the wind turbine studies on at least two occasions. Flicker Vertigo is the most likely cause of the birds flying into the blades. That too has been posted. You are relatively new to the forum and these folks have a very long history of ignoring posted links, and just general douchebaggery.

Yeah, I figured as much these types of people are very easy to spot.

I never really cared about birds or wind turbines to be honest, but I figured I would educate myself. I'll keep an eye out for more information now...funny how that works.

I drive by a pretty big wind farm here in Washington state and watching how slowly they turn, I would assume that it would have to be a pretty dumb bird to fly into those things :cuckoo:

My cat who was a stray that found a home with us, has certainly got to take credit for 1 billion of those bird kills :( and maybe a million of the snow shoe hare rabbits! :eek:

P.S. I don't know why I bother buying cat food for her....

EDIT: she was fixed when she first got here too.

AND, my sister is a school teacher and she bought discount SPADE and NURTURED coupons at a discount through the school somehow, $20 each and bought 10 of them and every stray cat she found in the neighborhood, she captured, got them fixed, nurtured them till well, then paid for all their shots and then found homes for them.....in FACT I would not have my eldest cat, who is 16 now, if it were not for my sister forcing her on to me!!!

she captured 2 cats of her neighbor across the street too and told the neighbor she was going to have them fixed...her ignorant neighbor refused to have them fixed and in 3 years the whole neighborhood was filled with stray cats that my sister was capturing and fixing. the lady neighbor told her to go ahead and get them fixed, but she was not going to pay for them.....sheesh, this lady was the problem all along....

BUT, I guess I should be happy that her cats were not fixed, because I would not have my eldest cat, who I love dearly, if she had fixed them.

Last edited:
Ummmm, no. Obviously you're just as stupid as dottie. dottie made the assertion so HE has to provide the evidence to support it nimrod. You see how that works? YOU make the assertion, YOU support with evidence. dottie tried to insult Mr H and Mr. H rightfully slammed dottie, then you, obviously trying to suck up to the aforementioned dottie jumped on the bandwagon.

Sheesh you asshats are all alike. You don't ever practice what you preach....how unsurprising.

This isn't the Flame Zone, Priscilla.

DC didn't make the assertion; Mr. H did.

That's MR. Mr. H to you, pal.

Wind turbines have the cats bested.

Now go to bed.
I doubt that massive amounts of birds are flying into turbines. It would be very stupid of them.

Yeah, I figured as much these types of people are very easy to spot.

I never really cared about birds or wind turbines to be honest, but I figured I would educate myself. I'll keep an eye out for more information now...funny how that works.

I drive by a pretty big wind farm here in Washington state and watching how slowly they turn, I would assume that it would have to be a pretty dumb bird to fly into those things :cuckoo:

Here's video of it happening. You have heard the expression "birdbrain" I assume....it is a pejorative!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back