Can you pass the citizenship test?

For citizenship there is no standard test. It is wholly up to the interviewer what questions to ask and how many to ask.

So who are the qualified interviewers? Who decides the policy about the content of citizenship tests.

Each interviewer decides what to ask, how many questions to ask and whether or not any wrong answers disqualify you on that visit.

My wife is a naturalized citizens as are all her female friends. None of them were asked the same questions and none of them were asked the same number of questions. My wife couldn't miss any and had to be interviewed 3 times to pass, several of her friends missed several questions and were stilled passed for citizenship. One of her friends was ask who was President who was Governor and was passed on those 2 questions.

I took that test months ago. I won't gloat or lie about the results, because either way, I had the good fortune to be born here. I also noticed that the "test' is available in Spanish, too. Hint, hint.

Oh, by the way I like question twelve, the answer is beautiful, if no ironic here. I quote "What is the rule of law?" The answer? verbatim: 1) Everyone must follow the law. 2) Leaders must follow the law. 3) Government must follow the law. 4) NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW.
Well, if that don't beat all. Illegal aliens are not immune from the law, it seems. But in practice, they seem to be. Seems pretty clear, illegal aliens are breaking both American laws and generally accepted international immigration protocol. We can't start picking and choosing what laws should be followed, because it is convenient. Or can we?

Oh, by the way I like question twelve, the answer is beautiful, if no ironic here. I quote "What is the rule of law?" The answer? verbatim: 1) Everyone must follow the law. 2) Leaders must follow the law. 3) Government must follow the law. 4) NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW.
Well, if that don't beat all. Illegal aliens are not immune from the law, it seems. But in practice, they seem to be. Seems pretty clear, illegal aliens are breaking both American laws and generally accepted international immigration protocol. We can't start picking and choosing what laws should be followed, because it is convenient. Or can we?

That's the one I missed too! Yep, only one.

I've always thought the 'rule of law' applied to the government, not foremost to the people. Seems like every definition I'm finding agrees with me, here's one:

Rule of law

Rule of law Legal Definition - Lawyers.com
Definition
1 : an authoritative legal doctrine, principle, or precept applied to the facts of an appropriate case <adopting the rule of law that is most persuasive in light of precedent, reason and policy Wright, 904 P.2d 403 (1995)>
2 : government by law
: adherence to due process of law

Logic is that if the laws 'apply fairly', i.e., follow the rule, then people will obey them.

That's the one I missed too! Yep, only one.

I've always thought the 'rule of law' applied to the government, not foremost to the people. Seems like every definition I'm finding agrees with me, here's one:

Rule of law

Rule of law Legal Definition - Lawyers.com
Definition
1 : an authoritative legal doctrine, principle, or precept applied to the facts of an appropriate case <adopting the rule of law that is most persuasive in light of precedent, reason and policy Wright, 904 P.2d 403 (1995)>
2 : government by law
: adherence to due process of law

Logic is that if the laws 'apply fairly', i.e., follow the rule, then people will obey them.

Hate to break it to you but the second definition applies to the people that are Governed. And the first is also applicable to the people. The rule of Law only works when the majority of the people enforce it and follow it.

Haha, that was fun. I got 91/96 or 94%, though a couple I just guessed (Susan B. Anthony?? Huh??). Some of the bad responses were hilarious, though. The one that said something like "What keeps one branch of government from being too powerful," the answer was checks and balances but one of them was 'The United Nations', and it made me "lol".

If we don't ENFORCE the law, that does not make them ABOVE the law. It makes us UNDER it.

A bunch of f*ing geniuses are running the place....

Pass the citizenship test?? Probably not - but I was born here so why does that matter? Now, if I had not been born here, I would study it to make sure I pass it in order to become a citizen of this great country! Other than that, the test is of no interest to me.

The Rule of Law? Simply put - THE LAW OF THE LAND. Not above; not below; just there to be respected.

Pass the citizenship test?? Probably not - but I was born here so why does that matter? Now, if I had not been born here, I would study it to make sure I pass it in order to become a citizen of this great country! Other than that, the test is of no interest to me.

The Rule of Law? Simply put - THE LAW OF THE LAND. Not above; not below; just there to be respected.
If the citizens do not understand the underlying principles of our system of government, they will lose it.

[In a republic, according to Montesquieu in Spirit of the Laws, IV,ch.5,] 'virtue may be defined as the love of the laws and of our country. As such love requires a constant preference of public to private interest, it is the source of all private virtue; for they are nothing more than this very preference itself... Now a government is like everything else: to preserve it we must love it... Everything, therefore, depends on establishing this love in a republic; and to inspire it ought to be the principal business of education; but the surest way of instilling it into children is for parents to set them an example.'" --Thomas Jefferson: copied into his Commonplace Book.

96 out of 96... Quite frankly that test was so simple, poorly worded, and poorly crafted I am offended. It seems like it was crafted for a 5th grader.

The only ones I had to guess on were... I didnt actually know that the Missouri River was the second longest river and I wasnt sure which island was its own sovereign nation, the Cayman Islands.

'96 out of 96... Quite frankly that test was so simple, poorly worded, and poorly crafted I am offended. It seems like it was crafted for a 5th grader. '

5th grader? To high as many of these people come here with little or no education from their countries. So what can one expect???? What is the answer? Lower it to 1st grade level? And still it would be too hard for many.

Forum List

Back