Can Trump build the wall without Congress?

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
I was listening to someone on the radio contend that Trump does NOT need Congressional approval to build the wall. According to them, Departments within the Executive Branch routinely take out loans that never get paid. Additionally, Executive power has expanded to the point that a President can now rule by edict.

They even pointed to the fact that budget cuts could be made within the massive 4rth Branch of government to raise funds.

I think they are right, only, the question becomes if Trump really wanted the wall in the first place, or was it all demagoguery?

Obviously, the GOP had two years to get it done and passed, so they don't want the wall.

I was listening to someone on the radio contend that Trump does NOT need Congressional approval to build the wall. According to them, Departments within the Executive Branch routinely take out loans that never get paid. Additionally, Executive power has expanded to the point that a President can now rule by edict.

They even pointed to the fact that budget cuts could be made within the massive 4rth Branch of government to raise funds.

I think they are right, only, the question becomes if Trump really wanted the wall in the first place, or was it all demagoguery?

Obviously, the GOP had two years to get it done and passed, so they don't want the wall.

When in the last two years has the GOP had 60 votes in the Senate?

The border wall will be built only if Donald Trump uses executive power to do it. He has the funds available and the authority to build the wall.

The federal government has shut down because Republicans can’t agree on funding for President Donald Trump’s main campaign promise to build a wall on the southern border with Mexico, and Democrats are insisting they will not vote for wall funding. This typical Washington gridlock is surmountable because Trump can build the wall on his own.

A week ago, the White House put out a call to federal agencies to look for “pots of money” in their existing budgets that could be cobbled together to pay for border wall construction. Immediately, Sen. John Thune, the Republican whip in the upper chamber, shot down the idea of shifting funds from executive departments to the border, saying, “I’m not a big fan of moving money.” Like it or not, there are sources of revenue in the executive branch that the president has authority to use without congressional approval. The Department of Agriculture has about $200 billion in outstanding loans for rural development projects such as community buildings, bridges, roads, fire stations, police stations, water projects and barriers such as fencing and walls. These federal loans to local communities have low default rates that are attractive to private-sector investors because they represent large, reliable cash flows — the kind of investments that big money funds desperately desire.

About $50-100 billion worth currently held by USDA are very marketable and attractive commercial paper investments. The rights to collect the remainder of the debt on these loans could be sold to private parties who would pay a premium for such a steady stream of cash payments. The sales would give a profit cushion to the government and alleviate

Read more at citizenfreepress.com ..

Reconciliation Spanky.

Why is it they can force health care down our collective throats using it but not the wall?

It's a question of will. They wanted one but not the other.

No matter, the Dims are in full control now so can Trump bypass them?

Republicans who aren't tied to the Democrats are afraid of the Democrat media more than they are afraid of Trump's base. It couldn't be more obvious.

They'd better wake up and grow a spine.

Reconciliation Spanky.

Why is it they can force health care down our collective throats using it but not the wall?

Mitch. The Bitch so far refuses to do that....makes one wonder about his DEEP STATE sympathies!

Reconciliation Spanky.

Mitch. The Bitch so far refuses to do that....makes one wonder about his DEEP STATE sympathies!

Mitch is like McCain who voted to repeal Obamacare when Obama was in office to veto it and ran for reelection on the premise of voting to repeal it again.

Then when Trump won and was ready to sign it into law, McCain turned tail.

Likewise, Mitch says he wants the wall but will make sure it never happens.

I believe that these guys are just as much in the pockets of drug lords as are the governments of South and Central America.

But as for Trump, is he as well? Can he bypass the Swamp?

Reconciliation Spanky.

"Spanky"? who the fuck is Spanky? The Rats had 60 Senate votes....it had nothing to do with "will" ,and the Rats don't have control of anything...any budget they propose can be vetoed by the President and they don't have anywhere near the 2/3 for an override.

Reconciliation Spanky.

"Spanky"? who the fuck is Spanky? The Rats had 60 Senate votes....it had nothing to do with "will" ,and the Rats don't have control of anything...any budget they propose can be vetoed by the President and they don't have anywhere near the 2/3 for an override.

For the record, I'm done with Congress, and everyone else should be as well.

Can Trump bypass them, yes or no?

Wow, look at the conservitards turning on their own.

We are not the ones who are turning on them, they have turned on us.

They should do what they said they were going to do, unless you like democracy subverted, but then, most Leftists do.

For the record, I'm done with Congress, and everyone else should be as well.

Can Trump bypass them, yes or no?

Nope, not unless he declares a national emergency and has the DOD build the Wall....now that Mattis is gone, that's possible. Probably why Trump did the Syria pullout...he knew Mattis would spit the bit. Congress can even intercede if he tries moving money from other agencies to a fund for the Wall.....the Founders intended the separation of power to work exactly like it's working whether we like it or not.

It highlights the danger of making obscenely unrealistic campaign promises. Especially when one of the obscenely unrealistic campaign promises is the centerpiece of your Presidency. Mexico is supposed to be paying for the wall according to the blob. Now, everyone with two working brain cells knew that Mexico would never pay for it in any way, any shape, or any form. The rationalizations that Trump and his idiotic supporters are making highlights the dishonesty and actually makes the opposition even more dug in. The dishonesty is the primary stumbling block to Trump being able to strike a deal with the Congress and more precisely Congressional Democrats.

Can you trust this habitual liar? Clearly you cannot.

And if you believe some of the commentators, the “moving of money” or “pots of money” being emptied for the wall even highlights the dishonesty to signed legislation! So lets say there is a compromise struck and there is between 1 and 3 billion set aside for the wall in return for…whatever…lets say more spending for Title X public health care (this is what funds Planned Parenthood when they get grant monies). Who trusts that the blob isn’t going to raid the HHS coffers and take that agreed upon money from Title X? Nobody with two working brain cells.

Anyway, to the OP…can he build it?

There would be court case after court case Trump is sure to lose. Money allocated for NASA being used for the wall is likely to spur debates about abuse of power to say the least (something Nixon was going to be impeached for by the way) since there was a bill signed to send the money to NASA in the first place...

Whether that stops the blob or not…who knows?

Who?

No he doesn't need Congressional Approval to build it, it's already an existing program account on the books of Executive Branch Agencies (primarily DHS and DoD) and there is no need to "take out loans". The Executive Branch has budgetary transfer and re-programming authority to move funds (within limits specified by statute) from program account(s) to other program account(s) within the same Executive Branch Agency or across Agencies, in other words take money out of X, Y and Z program accounts and move it N program account to fund N program and then "re-program" X, Y and Z program accounts to reflect the alterations (i.e. modify timelines, standards, payments, etc..,).

It's pretty routine stuff for the Agencies of the Executive.

Of course blatantly abusing that authority invites retribution by the keepers of the purse strings when it comes around to appropriations time.

No he doesn't need Congressional Approval to build it, it's already an existing program account on the books of Executive Branch Agencies (primarily DHS and DoD) and there is no need to "take out loans". The Executive Branch has budgetary transfer and re-programming authority to move funds (within limits specified by statute) from program account(s) to other program account(s) within the same Executive Branch Agency or across Agencies, in other words take money out of X, Y and Z program accounts and move it N program account to fund N program and then "re-program" X, Y and Z program accounts to reflect the alterations (i.e. modify timelines, standards, payments, etc..,).

It's pretty routine stuff for the Agencies of the Executive.

Of course blatantly abusing that authority invites retribution by the keepers of the purse strings when it comes around to appropriations time.

As I suspected.

So the question is, does Trump want the wall, or is he like the rest of the GOP who do not?

Forum List

Back