Can A President Tell The Supreme Court How To Decide Cases?

I would be fine with scrapping all nine justices and finding a way to appoint 9 new ones using a non-political system that appoints judges who don't have any obvious political affiliations. Or, leaving the current ones in place and starting the new system now. However, adhering to the law and the Constitution would be important. No judges who decide cases based on feelings and emotions or what they feel is best for Americans - only interpreting the laws we have. That is the reason why they are there.
We do that already! The judges are conservatives. There are six currently on the court.

Last edited:
I'm wondering why Biden thinks he can tell the Supreme Court how to decide a case. Why would Biden even "urge" the Supreme Court how to decide his way unless he thinks he has some kind of power or influence over it? I'm fine with a president asking the Supreme Court to make a decision on a matter but not to "urge" the court to make a particular decision, one way or another. The justices should make their decisions based on the law, not based on what someone tells them how to decide a case, even the president.

Donald Trump urges Supreme Court to overturn election​

He absolutely has influence. He's the president. Trying to make things happen with the weight of his opinions is part of what presidents do.
But let's be honest.. if Trump did what Biden is doing, every leftist and media pundit would have tears drenching down their faces and crying out on how Trump is defying the constitution and democracy.

We know this to be true.. right?

But let's be honest.. if Trump did what Biden is doing, every leftist and media pundit would have tears drenching down their faces and crying out on how Trump is defying the constitution and democracy.

See post 82.

A little ambiguity. A President cannot “tell” the SCOTUS how to rule. A President can “say” anything he wants. He can offer unsolicited advice every bit as much as any of us can. It should be given no greater weight.

They'd be pissed I'm sure.

I'm wondering why Biden thinks he can tell the Supreme Court how to decide a case. Why would Biden even "urge" the Supreme Court how to decide his way unless he thinks he has some kind of power or influence over it? I'm fine with a president asking the Supreme Court to make a decision on a matter but not to "urge" the court to make a particular decision, one way or another. The justices should make their decisions based on the law, not based on what someone tells them how to decide a case, even the president.

Biden has to do this because he knows it's likely losing in Court. And probably losing big.

Forum List

Back