California Will Give Free High School Diplomas To Kids Who Flunked the Exit Exam

I've been saying for years that to graduate from HS you should have to pass the GED. California has been doing something like that with this exit exam, but now they've decided to cancel the program no doubt because of pressure from the moron illegals.

sep 11 2015
  • The state of California is poised to award thousands of high school degrees to dropouts by passing a new law retroactively removing the requirement to pass a high school exit exam.
The California High School Exit Exam (CASHEE) was created in 2004, and is intended to make sure that students have a rudimentary grasp of English and mathematics before being awarded a high school diploma, and to counter the phenomenon of students receiving passing grades while learning almost nothing. The test is hardly complex. The math test, for instance, only covers 8th grade-level material and can be passed if students answer 55 percent of questions correctly. About 80 percent of California high schoolers take and pass it on their first try while in the 10th grade, and overall passage rates for the class of 2014 were above 97 percent.

But now, a bill passed Thursday by the California legislature, which Gov. Jerry Brown is expected to sign, suspends the exam through 2018, while also retroactively suspending it back to 2004. That means thousands of students who failed to ever pass the exam but otherwise completed all other requirements will now be able to receive diplomas.

Haven't they been doing that already?

Usually it already going on by the time someone writes a story about it.

This is the natural progression from "participation" trophies.

Everyone is equal!!! Even the stupid people!!

Whipeee!!!

US needs to raise the standards not see how many children they can process through the system without actually teaching them anything.
In fact, economically we are way behind China, an ascending nation that takes the education of their youth very seriously. In the coming years, the nation with the most skilled workers wins.
Yeah, that's why Chinese colleges students go to US colleges...
The ones that can afford to, but skilled workers don't require college, just a very good primary education and then occupational training. Idiot Americans send their kids to college to get a social studies degree while our industries are hurting for skilled labor. It will be Asians who fill those positions.
Around here it's electricians, since being an electrician apprentice involves using a shovel, many American kids want no part of manual labor..You mean it comes with a book?

[

They already passed their damn finals they shouldn't have to pass a fucking exit exam its a waste of money and its idiotic. Some people don't do well remembering EVERYTHING from 4 years of HS and some do technically its also discriminatory.

Wrong - We need a standardized test like the GED to guarantee students did in fact learn how to read and do simple arithmetic.. Black and hispanic kids get affirmative action grading and are often illiterate even after 12 years of school.

I've been saying for years that to graduate from HS you should have to pass the GED. California has been doing something like that with this exit exam, but now they've decided to cancel the program no doubt because of pressure from the moron illegals.

sep 11 2015
  • The state of California is poised to award thousands of high school degrees to dropouts by passing a new law retroactively removing the requirement to pass a high school exit exam.
The California High School Exit Exam (CASHEE) was created in 2004, and is intended to make sure that students have a rudimentary grasp of English and mathematics before being awarded a high school diploma, and to counter the phenomenon of students receiving passing grades while learning almost nothing. The test is hardly complex. The math test, for instance, only covers 8th grade-level material and can be passed if students answer 55 percent of questions correctly. About 80 percent of California high schoolers take and pass it on their first try while in the 10th grade, and overall passage rates for the class of 2014 were above 97 percent.

But now, a bill passed Thursday by the California legislature, which Gov. Jerry Brown is expected to sign, suspends the exam through 2018, while also retroactively suspending it back to 2004. That means thousands of students who failed to ever pass the exam but otherwise completed all other requirements will now be able to receive diplomas.
You pass 12 years of school its fucking IGNORANT to have to pass a fucking exit exam AND your finals every single year to get your HS Diploma. FINALLY some common sense is coming back to education. South Carolina and Georgia are doing this.

But they are not passing 12 years of school. They are being passed.

There is a difference. One is you work your butt off, and get a passing grade. The other is, the system, in an effort to look effective, gives you a passing grade, so that they can meet their political mandates for passing students.

I have told this story numerous times. In my 11th grade year, I went to an inner city school. While in a class, we were given a simple division problem. It was something like 12 divided by 5. The guy next to me, asked how to do the problem.

I was shocked. This was a problem I could do in my head. He's in 11th grade and is asking how to do basic division. (and I'm terrible at math). So I slowly started to pull out a pencil and paper, when he stopped me and pointed to his calculator. He didn't know how to do the division problem.... on his calculator.

He was 'passed' 10th grade. But he most certainly didn't pass 10th grade. I betcha he was 'passed' 11th and 12th, and is now working at a burger king somewhere, wondering why his diploma hasn't landed him a good job.

That's what these exit exams are supposed to catch. I say the entire system is bad. Standardized tests limit the ability of schools to innovate to provide better education.

What we really need is schools that are responsive to student customers. Which socialized education is not.

[

They already passed their damn finals they shouldn't have to pass a fucking exit exam its a waste of money and its idiotic. Some people don't do well remembering EVERYTHING from 4 years of HS and some do technically its also discriminatory.

Wrong - We need a standardized test like the GED to guarantee students did in fact learn how to read and do simple arithmetic.. Black and hispanic kids get affirmative action grading and are often illiterate even after 12 years of school.
Its called the final exam. All schools have it in each subject. An exit exam is idiotic,waste of money and discriminatory to those that don't learn and remember EVERYTHING from 4 years of damn schooling...glad they are ending it.

sep 11 2015

You pass 12 years of school its fucking IGNORANT to have to pass a fucking exit exam AND your finals every single year to get your HS Diploma. FINALLY some common sense is coming back to education. South Carolina and Georgia are doing this.

But they are not passing 12 years of school. They are being passed.

There is a difference. One is you work your butt off, and get a passing grade. The other is, the system, in an effort to look effective, gives you a passing grade, so that they can meet their political mandates for passing students.

I have told this story numerous times. In my 11th grade year, I went to an inner city school. While in a class, we were given a simple division problem. It was something like 12 divided by 5. The guy next to me, asked how to do the problem.

I was shocked. This was a problem I could do in my head. He's in 11th grade and is asking how to do basic division. (and I'm terrible at math). So I slowly started to pull out a pencil and paper, when he stopped me and pointed to his calculator. He didn't know how to do the division problem.... on his calculator.

He was 'passed' 10th grade. But he most certainly didn't pass 10th grade. I betcha he was 'passed' 11th and 12th, and is now working at a burger king somewhere, wondering why his diploma hasn't landed him a good job.

That's what these exit exams are supposed to catch. I say the entire system is bad. Standardized tests limit the ability of schools to innovate to provide better education.

What we really need is schools that are responsive to student customers. Which socialized education is not.
I know how it works. School my wife went to when we met had the exit exam garbage AFTER she and every other senior had taken their final exams. Its bullshit. They pass the final exam the exit exam is bullshit.

Its called the final exam. All schools have it in each subject. An exit exam is idiotic,waste of money and discriminatory to those that don't learn and remember EVERYTHING from 4 years of damn schooling...glad they are ending it.

But the final exam is given and graded by the teacher and they always use affirmative action grading for the students who aren't white or asian. That's why we have an epidemic of HS "graduates" who are illiterate.

Require HS students pass the GED and don't let teachers grade it.

But the final exam is given and graded by the teacher and they always use affirmative action grading for the students who aren't white or asian. That's why we have an epidemic of HS "graduates" who are illiterate.

Require HS students pass the GED and don't let teachers grade it.
Seriously? There is no damn affirmative action grading in High School...jesus what kind of school did you attend? That sure wasn't what it was like in my school or my wife's.

[

Students in England and France systems essentially graduate with the equivalent of a year or two of college level credits. I began college in the US as a Junior in most of my classes.

[
In India they are having the same problem. Rampant cheating to pass exams, so they can get a fantastic job. Of course, when you cheat on the test, you don't know jack, and you end up being unemployed, and protesting in the streets.

The worst case were students who cheated on medical exams, end up in hospitals, and killing patients before they end up unemployed.

Similar thing in america with all the affirmative action scoring at our med schools. That's a type of cheating too and it's one reason i don't buy this story about ben carson being a great doctor. He has admitted he used AA to get his degree. I bet he can barely read.
I think you are wrong about Carson.
I will say this however, because the vast majority of AA awarded minorities are sub standard, it really does hurt society, how many people that didnt know Ben Carson was so skilled passed him up in favor of a less qualified white doctor?
Even if there is a 99% chance that the black doctor is not qualified, that 1% that is Carson suffers.

I don't understand why an exit exam is necessary. To me, passing all of the important classes during your four years of high school should be enough.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

This is fraud, plain and simple. From now on, potential employers will look on California high school diplomas with suspicion.

sep 11 2015

ROFLMNAO!

I remember back when I was coaching Little League and the "Participation Trophy" crap started... I said then that that idiocy would one day result in schools issuing 'Participation Diplomas'.

LOL!

Yes... it is wonderful being RIGHT, ALL THE TIME!

This is fraud, plain and simple. From now on, potential employers will look on California high school diplomas with suspicion.

Suspicion?

LOL! No no... they'll look upon the California HS Diploma as the worthless piece of paper that it is. (Bu they... It hasn't been anything else for 40 years. With rare exception, California HS Grads are barely functional illiterates.)

I know the biggest reason kids are allowed to graduate here in CA without passing the test is parents threatening to sue unless their little darlings get to walk. It's 8th grade level stuff and they start giving the test to 9th graders. My daughter tested out the first time and laughed at it.

I don't understand why an exit exam is necessary. To me, passing all of the important classes during your four years of high school should be enough.
That's because you're a brainless america-hater. Teachers are under huge pressure to pass everyone so the school can brag about their great graduation rate. That's why we need an exit exam and the tests should not be administered or graded by the teachers or any school employee.

Which really screws the whites and asians who deserved a diploma. But it's great for all the illiterate negros and hispos.

That's because you're a brainless america-hater. Teachers are under huge pressure to pass everyone so the school can brag about their great graduation rate. That's why we need an exit exam and the tests should not be administered or graded by the teachers or any school employee.

There's no such thing as "Passing" any more... meet the attendance requirements and at the end of the year you're moving to the next grade, even if you fail each subject ENTIRELY... with a zero grade.

Forum List

Back