California now has $2.4 billion surplus. Another liberal success

I have one thing to say about California

The Best and Worst Run States in America - Yahoo Finance

50. California
> Debt per capita: $3,990 (20th highest)
> Budget deficit: 27.8% (3rd largest)
> Unemployment: 10.5% (2nd highest)
> Median household income: $58,328 (11th highest)
> Pct. below poverty line: 17.0% (18th highest)

For the third year in a row, California is the worst-run state in America. California faced a nearly $24 billion in budget shortfall in fiscal 2012, including a mid-year shortfall of $930 million and $8.2 billion carried over from the year before. California carries an A credit rating from Standard & Poor's, and an A1 from Moody’s -- both worse than any other state except for Illinois. Explaining its rating, Moody’s pointed to the state’s history of one-time solutions to resolve its budgetary gaps. It also noted the state's “highly volatile revenue structure,” due to its over reliance on wealthy taxpayers. The Golden State was also among the worst states in the nation for educational attainment, health coverage, and unemployment.

Ah, the "rich are leaving California is droves" myth.

Yet another rightwing myth. They find a handful of examples that fit their wishful thinking, then chain e-mail the stories to themselves through their aol.com accounts.

Canadians who come to the US for medical services, black voters who are driven around from precinct to precinct to vote again and again, massive inflation from QE2, and most costly of all, WMD in Iraq.

The rightwing myth machine is always at work.

It ain't the rich that is leaving, it is the middle class.

Conservative Myths & Legends change with every post.

What good is that when you have $340 billion in un-funded liabilities?

Fixing California: Report ignores state?s vast pension liabilities | UTSanDiego.com

LOL, what a ridiculous comment. The issue of government employees retirement benefits will solve it self in a generation or two - those of us who have these benefits won't live forever. Those currently employed are now paying more then my generation did [I was paying #1,700 per month into my retirement the year I retired (2005)] and their benefits will be less.

So, is a surplus better than a deficit? Yep. Should Gov. Brown's leadership be celebrated? Yep. Has Gov. Brown solved all the problems? Nope, the damage done by prior elected officials will require many repairs. We learned, and I suspect the nation will learn, tax cuts are not the panacea the GOP wants us to believe. There is something much worse than Tqx and Spend Democrats, it is Don't tax and spend, spend and spend more as did the California Legislature under the previous four Governors and as the Congress has done since 1981.

Last edited:
Yeah, move to Florida where your business could disappear completely...:lol:

Huge sinkhole swallows homes in Florida

Are you saying that doesn't happen in California?

The Loma Prieta — literally, dark knoll — earthquake occurred on October 17, 1989, in the greater San Francisco Bay Area in California at 5:04 p.m. local time and measured 7.1 on the Richter magnitude scale. The earthquake lasted for 15 to 20 seconds. Its epicenter was at geographical coordinates 37.04° N 121.88° W, near Loma Prieta Peak in the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 10 miles northeast of the city of Santa Cruz, California, in the Forest of Nisene Marks State Park. The fault rupture did not break the ground surface. The focal depth was 11 miles, which is unusually deep. Typical California earthquake focal depths are 4 to 6 miles. That earthquake was the largest to occur in the San Francisco Bay area since 1906.

Sources place the death toll at between 63 to 68 people. Deaths in Santa Cruz occurred when brick storefronts and sidewalls in the historic downtown (what was then called the Pacific Garden Mall) tumbled down on people exiting the buildings.

Loma Prieta, the 1989 San Francisco Earthquake

Greater Los Angeles area residents were shaken out of their beds by the most severe urban temblor since the devastating 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

The initial Northridge quake shook with a staggering Richter magnitude of 6.9, and lasted for more than 20 seconds. The earthquake occurred along a "blind" thrust fault, close to the San Andreas fault. The outcome resulted in one of the most financially destructive natural disasters in American history.

The Northridge quake also claimed 72 lives and inflicted 9,000 injuries, where 1,500 of the injuries were considered severe

Northridge Earthquake

If North Dakota was like California with high taxes and out of control spending, the state would be empty of white people except for stupid fuck white liberals like you.

California is lucky that its sheer size, weather and resources makes it an economic power that only liberals can destroy in due time. People are willing to pay a lot in taxes because living near the beach or mountains with nice weather appeals to them...for now.

Many middle class whites are leaving because it is slowly becoming Mexifornia. When there are only rich white liberals and poor minorities....the riots will begin and whitey will be on the menu (see LA riots).

Good news, California: Surplus is $2.4 billion - SFGate

Good news, California: Surplus is $2.4 billion
Melody Gutierrez
Updated 10:38 pm, Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sacramento --

For the first time in nearly a decade, California is collecting more revenue than it is spending and will finish the fiscal year with an extra $2.4 billion, according to a report released Wednesday by the Legislature's nonpartisan budget analyst.

The good news comes after an era that saw one of the worst budget crises in California history - the fiscal shortfall sank to $60 billion in the 2009-10 budget, the state controller mailed IOUs to vendors in 2009 and state lawmakers slashed programs year after year to make ends meet.

Now, thanks to the passage of Proposition 30 last year and the improving economy, California is looking at surpluses for the next six years - even after the temporary taxes under Prop. 30 expire, according to the Legislative Analyst's Office.
==================================================

They did not have a spending problem at any point. They had a "the GOP has power" problem. Once the voters finally culled the GOP from any real power in Sacramento, the Democrats got down to governing responsibly. They now have funds to spend on education for hispanics and blacks, and services for young women who want to obtain an abortion.

The rest of the country has a lot to learn from California.

What good is that when you have $340 billion in un-funded liabilities?

Fixing California: Report ignores state?s vast pension liabilities | UTSanDiego.com

LOL, what a ridiculous comment. The issue of government employees retirement benefits will solve it self in a generation or two - those of us who have these benefits won't live forever. Those currently employed are now paying more then my generation did [I was paying #1,700 per month into my retirement the year I retired (2005)] and their benefits will be less.

So, is a surplus better than a deficit? Yep. Should Gov. Brown's leadership be celebrated? Yep. Has Gov. Brown solved all the problems? Nope, the damage done by prior elected officials will require many repairs. We learned, and I suspect the nation will learn, tax cuts are not the panacea the GOP wants us to believe. There is something much worse than Tqx and Spend Democrats, it is Don't tax and spend, spend and spend more as did the California Legislature under the previous four Governors and as the Congress has done since 1981.

You don't drink Kool-Aid.

You take in intravenously.

In a generation or two, the state will essentially be a suburb of mexico and there will be no jobs.

Melody Gutierrez

Sacramento --

For the first time in nearly a decade, California is collecting more revenue than it is spending and will finish the fiscal year with an extra $2.4 billion, according to a report released Wednesday by the Legislature's nonpartisan budget analyst.

The good news comes after an era that saw one of the worst budget crises in California history - the fiscal shortfall sank to $60 billion in the 2009-10 budget, the state controller mailed IOUs to vendors in 2009 and state lawmakers slashed programs year after year to make ends meet.

Now, thanks to the passage of Proposition 30 last year and the improving economy, California is looking at surpluses for the next six years - even after the temporary taxes under Prop. 30 expire, according to the Legislative Analyst's Office.

They did not have a spending problem at any point. They had a "the GOP has power" problem. Once the voters finally culled the GOP from any real power in Sacramento, the Democrats got down to governing responsibly. They now have funds to spend on education for hispanics and blacks, and services for young women who want to obtain an abortion.

The OP is a lying faggot, another liberal epic fail...........

Melody Gutierrez

Sacramento --

The OP is a lying faggot, another liberal epic fail...........

Not too convincing of an argument.

Except for the bloated coasts, California is republican! It's just top heavy with the megacities. Like Colorado is weighed down with the albatross of Denver.

That statement right there shows the average intelligence of Republicans. Why would anyone want to live anywhere in California except the coasts? Hot and desolate for the most part once you go inland.

You know very little about the state then.
The southern part of the state is made up of mountainous regions as well as desert. Sparsely populated.
The fact is the coastal regions are no longer the places to be.
That fact is proved out by the in-state migration.
People are sick of the traffic, crime, high cost of living and the far left wing political environment. I think they are also tired of the influx of Latinos who fill the schools with their over sized families and overburden the social safety nets.
If I were offered the choice of Los Angeles or Lake Tahoe, that's a no brainer. I would have ZERO reason to go to LA...Or anywhere near the LA Basin....
Your statement "why would anyone want to live in California except the coasts" is merely your opinion. The fact that new population centers are developing across the state, pours cold water on your endearment to the coastal regions

Ok....Is there any way you could be more off topic?
Your post is ridiculous.
Sionk holes....Jesus Christ...Have you forgotten that half the population of California lives within 50 miles of a major fault where two continental plates are grinding together?
Just as hurricanes are inevitable in Florida, earthquakes are likely in California.
Isn't there some kind of protest march you need to be at?

Think of the state legislature in Sacramento as a huge, giant sinkhole.

They were...until we voted in a Democratic majority that could actually get some work done. :lol:
And that sound you think is your Dyson vacuum is actually people LEAVING California.
Yeah, getting things done. Like WHAT? Increasing the welfare state? Feeding the public worker unions? Buying Latino votes with free shit?
Getting things done. Yeah. The typical slacker mentality of the average California resident is ripe for dependence upon government.
California is forever broke broke broke.....Budget surplus, my fanny.
You people have been lied to so often, you now believe the lies. Do the rest of us a favor. Stay in California. Keep your insipid liberal ideas right there in the People's Republic, where they belong.

Yeah, thankfully, we don't have to worry about earthquakes and falling into the Pacific ocean. Or brush fires. Or mud slides.

Or wall-to-wall people EVERY place you go and EVERY thing you do. I've been there. I know.

And the cost of living in California? Stupid. Beyond stupid

My boy's in-laws came down (from the People's Republic) and were flattened by the house he just bought for $200k (he did kinda steal it :) )

They make twice as much money as he does, a fact they like to remind he and his wife of, but they live like shit.

Know why? Because the house my boy got for $200k you couldn't TOUCH in Taxachusetts (where they're from) for less than half a million. If that. Likely more than that.

And while his Property taxes are $2,500 a year, their taxes (on a house that doesn't compare, it's a cracker box) in the People's Republic are over $6,000 a year on a shit box.

Not to mention their Income Taxes. And City Taxes. And general cost of living.

It works out. We don't make as much money as people in some other high-end States, (he's only making around 75k) but we live better.

A LOT better.

I've lived in both Florida and California. You can have your sinkholes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and humidity. I'll take CA any day over Florida.
Good. You keep paying those confiscatory taxes.
Suckerrrrrrrrrrr.

California's high taxes are driving the people that can afford the move to Texas!

The people who move to Texas will regret it. I lived in California in the early 90's when they were having the first major recession in recent history. Utah was the destination of choice back then. It probably looked good on paper - beautiful mountains, big enough to have some cultural amenities and good restaurants and you could buy about 3 times the house there as in Cali. But then they discovered that there's this ultra-conservative/religious vibe that's repulsive to anyone who's not used to it. Also the weather sucks about 50% of the time and I won't even go into the moronic liquor laws... Most of the transplants left after a few years.

That's a load of shit.
The fact that Texas is a destination state for those moving out of their home state proves your assertion is merely your uneducated opinion.
Sheesh, you people will stop at nothing in order to cloister yourselves in the belief that liberalism is allegedly popular.

Melody Gutierrez

Sacramento --

SO TRUE. California is an amazing place and I hope to return there soon and STAY.

New Jersey sucks. The roads are nothing but pot holes strung loosely together with asphalt.
NJ..Another Blue State with a disappearing population, why should we mentality, overtaxed property owners living in over prices homes.
Nothing ever gets done in that state because EVERYTHING is up for public referendum. If there is the slightest chance that the voters perceive something will increase their taxes, they vote against it. Even the liberals vote 'no'.
There are people in NJ who are pissed off because the Super Bowl will be played there next February. Hundreds of millions of dollars in total commerce, and those people are MAD.....Fuck 'em. I spent the first 30 years of my life in NJ. I would NEVER move back. Never.

Forum List

Back