California Burning

One comment says that it's an invalid comparison. We disagree. Even with 190 inches of rain per year in Finland as compared to 22 in California, (there is more surveillance [italics]). We'll have to hunt back for the story of the person who reported sparks at Paradise, because compared to Finland, that's one rare piece of surveillance history to place in the files for California.

Here we link forest fires in Finland to Pulga, California:

Forest Fires Finland
Forest fires in Finland
'....Adaption options to forest fire risk should aim to decrease the vulnerability, where a change in tree species from conifers to broadleaves had most effect. (Schelhaas et al, 2010)'

Betsy Ann Cowley, Pulga, California
California woman contacted by PG&E about sparks from power lines before Camp Fire started
'....in an oak-filled canyon....'

This broadleaves connection for the Finnish webpage does not give the full Schelhaas, et al citation, and Pubmed only goes back to 2014 for that author:

Schelhaas MJ
Error encountered - PubMed - NCBI

It seems that fire season in California is now unending. No beginning and no end. It is the new normal for those in California in particular, but also out west in general. They are our fellow citizens and we need to offer them all the support we can.

‘The Whole World Was on Fire’: Infernos Choke California, Piling On the Grief
In the summer of 1998, Florida had its wildfire crisis. I remember the air was so dense with smoke you needed to drive with your headlights on. The smell of burning debris was everywhere. Entire neighborhoods were closed off and the sound of fire truck sirens were common. I'll never forget the sky. The sky was like a blue desert barren of all clouds. Every day that scorching sun with no end in sight.

My father joined the volunteer fire department. I remember seeing him on the TV hosing a house down. I went to stay with him and my mom as they were in a danger zone. I joined the small fire department with my dad, for the time I was with my parents, with the department's one fire truck. It was an eclectic group to say the least. Super conservatives like my Dad and a long haired hippie fire captain.

There was a camaraderie among its members. They all joined together in a time of crisis to try to halt what we thought was an unrelenting inferno. The clouds eventually returned and the rains fell. The crisis was over.

But every year could be the year of the next drought. We need to be cognizant that but for the grace of God go I.

I can understand what the people of California are going through. We live in Florida where every summer we face hurricane season and their destructive power. If you ask me the drought and raging fires were every bit as bad, and thankfully, the drought has not returned.

We also need to remember that all people should come together in these times. No one gave a damn about your politics only that you were there to help.
If this is to be the norms, than its time we ADJUST to it. Stop building homes on the ocean or near huge bodies of water, restore our marsh lands that protect us and stop building homes in or near huge areas of brush and trees. This is not rocket science.

The URL is correctly transcribed. The reader can choose to go to youtube to see the video.

No, actually I have nothing but contempt for these people. Wealthy rich white people that choose to live in areas that have high fire risks, historically. So they can get away from all those yucky poor whites, blacks and illegals aliens. Some call that karma, you can't escape it. And don't give me that deer in the headlights "you are shocked" response, either.
You mean Paradise, the low to medium income RETIREMENT community?

Where good people like our own Gracie have been literally burned out of their home.

Mary takes the prize for the most profoundly ignorant head-up-the-ass post of the month, if not the fucking YEAR.
"Where good people like our own Gracie have been literally burned out of their home."

You do realize Gracie is a racist dont you?

No, I don't realize any such thing. What I do realize is that Gracie's a human and in need.
And that is all I need to know. Period.

I'm a human in need.Care about me:

Fatter o' mact I know what your phobia is cuz I have the same one. Care to see some pictures of coral?

I wonder how many of those charred bodies are looters. Looters will go into buildings while they are on fire looking for something to steal.

Of course you would wonder that. You're a sociopath. Your only regret is that you didn't get to shoot them in the face for the crime of being Californians.

What I thought was fog was fucking smoke. Went running and got dizzy so I had to stop and go back in the house.

That's exactly how it was around here two years ago. I went out on a mountaintop to stare directly at the sun on a clear day, and couldn't see it at all. Smoke in everybody's house.

Amazingly nobody blamed "the fed" or "liburruls" or "O'bama" or even "looters" --- we all blamed what the actual cause was: drought. Highly unusual weather. There must have been a shortage of self-delusion around here.

While there was an occasional case of arson (one I think) or careless campfiring the vast majority was natural and the drought caused them to spread and burn for months.

Appalachia is Burning (from 2016)

This video mentions transformers:

Fire Fighting Drone / Flite Test

This video includes a 100Hz extinguisher, which is comparable to sound listening tech that we are interested in for bark beetles (237 Hz):

10 Fire Fighting Inventions

You gotta give up for fire fighters. Fighting a forest fire is probably the hardest shit I have ever experienced. There is nothing you can really compare it to except hell on steroids.

So...while forest management is partly to blame for the fires...it's far from the only cause.

We have Trump and the Trumpeteers blaming it all on the victims essentially.

Why didn't Trump attack Texas for Houstons horrible flooding? It was partly due to over building in flood prone areas. Why doesn't he blame them?
I haven't seen or read anything that indicates President Trump blaming the victims for their problems. Do you have a link?
He blamed the state of CA. He politicized it. Unlike Houston. He blamed it all on CA. Never seen a president do that. Ever. And he certainly didn’t attack government of Houston. It is just wrong when the problems contributing to it are from many causes and people are suffering.

At the Lolo fire in Idaho, the fighters dispersed from a large Sikorsky. Across the road, hawkers were selling t-shirts depicting the very date of that fire. Copters could not procure much water at a time from the river. A reservoir placed on top of a ridge would have been welcomed, gravity could have assisted. Tanks at such elevation could sport various valves to direct dowhill flows in specific directions. To protect near-ridge trees protects from soil erosion, a possible app in California.

"It's some of the hardest work, I think, that exists."

One fighter describes a chain-saw cut to the bone. It is swift. Badger2 passed out from a leg cut just above the knee using a Stihl O45 Farm Boss with carbide-tipped chipper.

What I thought was fog was fucking smoke. Went running and got dizzy so I had to stop and go back in the house.

That's exactly how it was around here two years ago. I went out on a mountaintop to stare directly at the sun on a clear day, and couldn't see it at all. Smoke in everybody's house.

Amazingly nobody blamed "the fed" or "liburruls" or "O'bama" or even "looters" --- we all blamed what the actual cause was: drought. Highly unusual weather. There must have been a shortage of self-delusion around here.

While there was an occasional case of arson (one I think) or careless campfiring the vast majority was natural and the drought caused them to spread and burn for months.

Appalachia is Burning (from 2016)

CA has been the victim of utter malfeasance of Federally owned forests. That's a fact. The fuel has built of for decades; it doesn't take much to start a wildfire under such circumstances.

And as for introducing politics, I'll note the shrieking hysteria of the Left regarding Katrina and New Orleans to blame the floods on Bush instead of the corrupt local Dem politicians who neglected the infrastructure.

Forum List

Back