California Atheists prevail on xmas in Santa Monica

The difference being that Christians are compelled to spread the Word of God. It seems the motivation behind atheism behavior is often just to be obnoxious. Would you agree?
I would agree that the atheists in the OP are, but other than that, no. I do not agree that they are any more obnoxious than a normal distribution of obnoxiousness in the total population.

I clarified "often".
Oh, I noticed. I don't find atheists any more obnoxious than Christians who want to tell me how to believe, too. I don't find either groups' level of obnoxiousness any more different than a normal distribution of obnoxiousness in the total population.

That's my observation, thus I find no validity to any relationship between obnoxiousness and atheism or obnoxiousness and Christianity.

That's my experience.

The behavior by the atheists cited in the story is obnoxious, just as the behavior of Christians who are compelled to put up billboards that imply non-believers will burn in hell is obnoxious.

See, here's the thing; I don't actually believe in hell. So a Christian telling me I'm going to hell is like "ho-hum, who cares?" Clearly, the Atheists are not at all secure in their faith to the deity Nogod that they worship.

I don't care if they feel compelled to spread this message of "love" and "forgiveness," it's pretty goddamned obnoxious and it doesn't excuse their actions. If I feel compelled to masturbate in public, does that make me better than the person who does it just to be obnoxious?

If you didn't believe, it would have no power over you.

I would say the general motivation behind "atheism behavior" (what the fuck does that even mean) is to promote the separation of church and state and to promote a healthy skepticism of supernatural claims, although I certainly don't speak for all atheists. Some atheists are more compelled than others to spread this message, a great deal of them don't give a flying fuck either way though.

Nonsense, the motivation is fear.

So if Christians don't believe what atheists believe, then why are they offended by atheist billboards or obnoxious displays of non-belief during the holiday season? They believe, so the disbelief of an atheist should have no power over them just the same, correct? Is the motivation behind theistic behavior fear as well? Or do they get a free pass?

A billboard telling me I'm going to hell because I'm an atheist does not necessarily have any power over me, and I usually laugh out loud when I see one because I think they're funny. However, I can understand why someone might be offended by such a billboard.

You're simply incorrect. The motivation behind the atheist action that you are so offended by (you afraid of something?) is to preserve separation of church and state and minimize the influence of religion in governmental policy and work place policy.

Motivation and intent is part of the formula. The Bible instructs Christians to spread the Word. I'm not claiming that it offends your less or more.

It is just something to think about. Intention.

Motivation and intent are irrelevant. Stop trying to justify intrusive practices that are unwanted 99% of the time, from either side.

I don't care what your book tells you to do.

You're not preaching to a member of the congregation here, so I'd suggest you give it up. We aren't going to agree on this one.

Motivation and intent is part of the formula. The Bible instructs Christians to spread the Word. I'm not claiming that it offends your less or more.

It is just something to think about. Intention.

Motivation and intent are irrelevant. Stop trying to justify intrusive practices that are unwanted 99% of the time, from either side.

I don't care what your book tells you to do.

You're not preaching to a member of the congregation here, so I'd suggest you give it up. We aren't going to agree on this one.

Intrusive practices. :badgrin:

So if Christians don't believe what atheists believe, then why are they offended by atheist billboards or obnoxious displays of non-belief during the holiday season?

I think the issue is with the Atheists denying them the right to display their message.

They believe, so the disbelief of an atheist should have no power over them just the same, correct? Is the motivation behind theistic behavior fear as well? Or do they get a free pass?

I think Christians do believe that Atheists are competing for souls.

I just happen not to. I find both religions ridiculous.

A billboard telling me I'm going to hell because I'm an atheist does not necessarily have any power over me, and I usually laugh out loud when I see one because I think they're funny. However, I can understand why someone might be offended by such a billboard.

Really? If you laugh, why would you be offended? This is illogical.

You're simply incorrect. The motivation behind the atheist action that you are so offended by (you afraid of something?) is to preserve separation of church and state and minimize the influence of religion in governmental policy and work place policy.

Church and state has to do with the church dictating the mechanism of government such as the Church of England and Catholic Church did in Europe. The founders were rightly concerned of ecumenical involvement in the laws and application of justice in the courts. The absurdity of the state denying first amendment rights of religious expression in the name of separation would appall the founding fathers, particularly Jefferson.

Do you welcome being prostelytized by atheists?

I tell them to fuck off, just like I do the Mormons and JW's who come to the door.

Why on earth do you think that I'd want what you're selling?

A billboard or other passive message can simply be ignored. You don't seem to mind a Calvin Klein ad, but are determined to silence Christians in the same venue.

It's bigotry, nothing else.

Do you welcome being prostelytized by atheists?

I tell them to fuck off, just like I do the Mormons and JW's who come to the door.

Why on earth do you think that I'd want what you're selling?

A billboard or other passive message can simply be ignored. You don't seem to mind a Calvin Klein ad, but are determined to silence Christians in the same venue.

It's bigotry, nothing else.

Welcome to the strawman emporium. Catz has never expressed any desire to silence Christians or inhibit their freedom of speech, and neither have I.

They have just as much a right to have a space in the commons as any other group.

Damon Vix is behind the effort.

Last year, he put up a sign quoting Thomas Jefferson: "Religions are all alike -- founded on fables and mythologies." There were also selections on U.S. Supreme Court decisions about the importance of separating church and state.

Secularists feel a need to be more vocal and express their civil rights, he said.

Read more: Atheist Messages Displace California Park Nativity Scenes | Fox News
Problem is they got the spaces just to push Christmas messages on the way side. That is what anti Christian groups do then cry free speech. Bulloney. I say go and nativity scenes up right in front of the satanic signs.

What have I tried to sell you? I explained motivation. That is not a sales pitch. Why the hysteria and aversion to anything Christian for you? Sensitive much? :badgrin:

The motivation doesn't justify unsolicited selling. I haven't demonstrated hysteria and aversion to Christianity in this thread, you repped me for suggesting that the atheists acted inappropriately. They did. However, I don't consider Christian prostelytizing in any way superior to Atheists promoting their own message.

p.s. I don't like Amway shills, either, so don't get all butthurt. It's not exclusive to Christianity.

Last edited:
Problem is they got the spaces just to push Christmas messages on the way side. That is what anti Christian groups do then cry free speech. Bulloney. I say go and nativity scenes up right in front of the satanic signs.
I don't think the Satanic groups got a site this year, but there's always next year.

What have I tried to sell you? I explained motivation. That is not a sales pitch. Why the hysteria and aversion to anything Christian for you? Sensitive much? :badgrin:

The motivation doesn't justify unsolicited selling. I haven't demonstrated hysteria and aversion to Christianity in this thread, you repped me for suggesting that the atheists acted inappropriately. They did. However, I don't consider Christian prostelytizing in any way superior to Atheists promoting their own message.

Yea, God Forbid we talk about people thinking freely.

How dare we.

Yea, God Forbid we talk about people thinking freely.

How dare we.

Careful, you're one step away from being accused of being an anti-Christian bigot. :lol::eusa_boohoo:

I don't know why atheists care about religious displays. I don't and I'm an atheist. If people want to believe in fairy tales why should it bother me?

I don't know why atheists care about religious displays. I don't and I'm an atheist. If people want to believe in fairy tales why should it bother me?

For those who truly don't believe, I don't think it does.

I can't imagine being offended by a statue of Zeus with a thunder bolt in the lobby of the local court house. Yet let a picture of Jesus creep in and the Atheist lose the contents of their bladders and their minds.

can't imagine being offended by a statue of Zeus with a thunder bolt in the lobby of the local court house. Yet let a picture of Jesus creep in and the Atheist lose the contents of their bladders and their minds.

I think that you're generalizing a large group of people on the basis of a very small percentage of fanatics, and that's never wise.

I think that you're generalizing a large group of people on the basis of a very small percentage of fanatics, and that's never wise.

I might very well be, I freely admit it. In the real world, I virtually NEVER run into people who call themselves Atheist. So my exposure is mostly to those like the slugs in Santa Monica or the other ones using lawsuits as a club to deny civil rights to others. I form my opinions around what I'm experience. It could be that I just haven't run into Atheists who don't want to crush the civil rights of others. (Skull Pilot may be one.)

Forum List

Back