Cable sucks!

BTW, the little mermaid in your sig line is adorable!!!! :)

Thanks! I'm rather fond of her.

On the cable topic, I have it for only two reasons: Game of Thrones and mr. boe's sports addiction.

I don't watch very often myself, but I do love the Food Network channel and any of the other cooking channels. I also like to geek out and watch documentaries sometimes. Some of the survival shows they have out now are quite interesting. I've been watching Naked and Afraid sometimes. I love the campy cartoons, like Aqua Teen Hunger Force (one of my favorites - Lol), but one of the only shows I will watch religiously is the Walking Dead. I think that show is so good, and I don't even like zombies!

On the cable topic, I have it for only two reasons: Game of Thrones and mr. boe's sports addiction.

I don't watch very often myself, but I do love the Food Network channel and any of the other cooking channels. I also like to geek out and watch documentaries sometimes. Some of the survival shows they have out now are quite interesting. I've been watching Naked and Afraid sometimes. I love the campy cartoons, like Aqua Teen Hunger Force (one of my favorites - Lol), but one of the only shows I will watch religiously is the Walking Dead. I think that show is so good, and I don't even like zombies!

I like Restaurant Impossible, but rarely watch it.

I prefer Vampire shows to zombies...and am really enjoying getting caught up with Lost Girl on Netflix. That's a pretty danged good show.

I prefer Vampire shows to zombies...and am really enjoying getting caught up with Lost Girl on Netflix. That's a pretty danged good show.

There are a lot of good shows on cable, and that's why I can't get rid of cable. I don't really watch anything on regular TV other than my local news in the morning. Too bad we can't just choose which channels we want instead of having to have "packages." There are a LOT of useless channels that we pay for too.

Ooma_Web_Carousel-Template-Final-slide4_0.jpg

Free Home Phone Service | Ooma – Ranked # 1 Internet Home Phone Service

Better sound quality than a landline, I got it for $99 at Costco, and all I pay is $2-$3 per month for local/state/fed communication taxes.

It is placed between your modem and your router to ensure that call quality is not compromised. I love mine.

Is that thing battery powered? How does it work when the electricity is out?

It doesn't. It's just an internet phone. When the power goes out I use my cell phone. But you can buy some very good home telephone equipment these days, like DECT 6, Bluetooth, wireless... so you can really save on mobile minutes without sacrificing anything. Ooma also makes cool phones with a lot of capabilities.

product_hd_handset_medium.jpg

There are a lot of good shows on cable, and that's why I can't get rid of cable. I don't really watch anything on regular TV other than my local news in the morning. Too bad we can't just choose which channels we want instead of having to have "packages." There are a LOT of useless channels that we pay for too.

Be patient. The Great Unbundling is underway even now. Netflix has a lot of series, in addition to movies (I pay $8.99 per month for streaming). Amazon has both paid content and free (with an Amazon Prime membership). Eventually, we'll have internet based content services (bundled and ala carte).

The thing I would miss without TV is actually the news. I like to listen to Fox Business in the AM, and catch up on my local news at night.

Better sound quality than a landline, I got it for $99 at Costco, and all I pay is $2-$3 per month for local/state/fed communication taxes.

It is placed between your modem and your router to ensure that call quality is not compromised. I love mine.

It doesn't. It's just an internet phone. When the power goes out I use my cell phone. But you can buy some very good home telephone equipment these days, like DECT 6, Bluetooth, wireless... so you can really save on mobile minutes without sacrificing anything. Ooma also makes cool phones with a lot of capabilities.

Thanks! That looks like a great product.

I'm still going to keep a landline with an old analog phone however. Mobile batteries run down, but during a long power outage, the copper wires keep working.

I'm still going to keep a landline with an old analog phone however. Mobile batteries run down, but during a long power outage, the copper wires keep working.

That's a good point. A couple of years ago we had a hurricane and lost power for 3 days. It was terrible. Three days feels like two weeks with no electricity or running water!

These types of things are booming:

http://www.costco.com/myCharge-Portable-Powerbank-Charger-|-6000mAh---Red.product.100071483.html

PhoneSuit® Power Core Max Battery Pack Bundle

Grape Solar GoPower-10: Portable Device Charging Kit

Those looks like great possibilities!

I canceled cable years ago. I have never missed it for a single moment. Now, I enjoy every single thing I see on TV, because I only watch what I really like, on Netflix.

I've enjoyed some of those Bar Rescue shows, even if they are fake. That guy Jon Taffer is doing his best Gordon Ramsay impression.

I've seen those shows before. I also like Drive-Ins, Diners and Dives, even though everyone says Guy Fieri is a douchebag. I don't care, I still like that show. Lol!

I canceled cable years ago. I have never missed it for a single moment. Now, I enjoy every single thing I see on TV, because I only watch what I really like, on Netflix.

I'm too weak to cancel cable and go to regular television. :eek:

you would be blown away by the picture quality. Soooooo much better than cable

Obviously I'm going to have to do some exploring of my options. :D

Go buy a cheap set top antenna (Make sure its one you can return) and see if you can pull in ay channels. If one comes in half way strong I think you would be amazed at the picture.

I put my $40 antenna in the attic of my house. I get 19 channels. OK, most is network crap but.........

I'm too weak to cancel cable and go to regular television. :eek:

you would be blown away by the picture quality. Soooooo much better than cable

Obviously I'm going to have to do some exploring of my options. :D

Go buy a cheap set top antenna (Make sure its one you can return) and see if you can pull in ay channels. If one comes in half way strong I think you would be amazed at the picture.

I put my $40 antenna in the attic of my house. I get 19 channels. OK, most is network crap but.........

We have to use digital converter boxes in my city. I don't think you can get really any channels with an old fashioned antenna here.

HowStuffWorks "Do I really need a digital converter box for my TV?"

Forum List

Back