Cable sucks!

you should also checkout dish network

probably has similar deal
I recently found out that Dish uses refurbished DirecTV components.
4i6Ckte.gif

I called DirecTV the other day to tell them I will be returning the bedroom units that came with my signup package two years ago because I never use them. He told me that depending upon what units I had, they may not want them back. They would just cancel the service to those units and I presumably would just throw those receivers away.

Seems pretty wasteful.

Yes it does seem wasteful. I wonder why they would do that?

Come to think of it, I just got a new modem last week from Comcast delivered to my house (which I haven't hooked up yet because I'm dreading getting behind the PC with all those wires and dust bunnies, lol), and they never even asked about the old modem. I wonder what I'll do with that?

Check your bill for the next few months to make sure they are not still charging you rent for the old modem.

You do realize that you pay prolly $7 per month to rent your Comcast modem? In 10 months that's $70. You can buy a nice Motorola modem on Amazon for $70 and after 10 months you start saving money, plus own your modem (and not be charged if theirs breaks and you're not also paying the $7 per month equipment insurance).

It's a racket designed to nickel and dime you. Best to own as much as you can rather than rent.

That's a good point, and I've thought about it before, but I'm not the most computer techy person out there, and if I need help, I can just call cable out to take care of any problems I might have. If I buy my own modem and have problems, I have to call Geek Squad, and that's like $150 or $200 dollars. I had to call them one other time to help with my router because the IP addresses were all messed up, and I had no idea how to fix it. Lol. So I'm mostly paying for the service.

However, in the long run, you could be right in that it would be cheaper, depending on how many problems I had with it.

Lol. :lol:

I can't get satellite anyways because I rent a townhouse, and my landlord won't allow it.
shrug.gif

Ugh. That sucks.

Our Homeowners' Association has a similar policy with regard to window mounted air conditioning units. Several rooms in our house basically feel like saunas in the summer time for that exact reason. lol

My God. That is pure tyranny!!! Off with their heads!! :razz:

Pfff. The guillotine is for sissies. I prefer more "medieval" techniques.
icon_mrgreen.gif

hanging-drawing-and-quartering.jpg

lol

Seriously though, these guys suuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkk.

We can't even leave our gate ajar for more than a few hours without getting a nasty letter in the mail about it.
4i6Ckte.gif

Last edited:

Pfff. The guillotine is for sissies. I prefer the more "medieval" techniques.
icon_mrgreen.gif

lol

We can't even leave our gate ajar for more than a few hours without getting a nasty letter in the mail about it.
4i6Ckte.gif

Although I'm sure it has it's perks, I don't think I would ever buy a house in a community with a home owners association. That's almost as bad as having a landlord! Lol!

icon_mrgreen.gif

lol

4i6Ckte.gif

Although I'm sure it has it's perks, I don't think I would ever buy a house in a community with a home owners association. That's almost as bad as having a landlord! Lol!

it maybe worse since in the association they vote in the bad ideas --LOL

Yea. I'll be avoiding them like the plague in the future. I can tell you that much. lol

icon_mrgreen.gif

lol

4i6Ckte.gif

it maybe worse since in the association they vote in the bad ideas --LOL

Yes, I remember hearing about a veteran who wanted to have a flag on a pole in his yard, and the HOA wouldn't allow him to have it. I thought that they could have made an exception in his case since was a veteran. That's exactly why I would never live in an HOA community.

Yes, I remember hearing about a veteran who wanted to have a flag on a pole in his yard, and the HOA wouldn't allow him to have it. I thought that they could have made an exception in his case since was a veteran. That's exactly why I would never live in an HOA community.

That's nuts. It's basically like you don't even own your own home!
5eek.gif

That's nuts. It's basically like you don't even own your own home!
5eek.gif

Tis truth!! Lol!

Anyway, heading off to bed now! Nightie-night! TTYL!

Just a minute ago, I lost my phone and internet too. I reset my modem and I have those back now, but still no cable TV. It says "this channel should be available shortly." Grrrrr.

Cables does suck. But the only way you could have lost your phone and internet is if you are one of the suckers who uses VOIP.

Just a minute ago, I lost my phone and internet too. I reset my modem and I have those back now, but still no cable TV. It says "this channel should be available shortly." Grrrrr.

Cables does suck. But the only way you could have lost your phone and internet is if you are one of the suckers who uses VOIP.

Lol! VOIP? :neutral: If you mean a bundle, yes I do have a bundle with cable, phone, and internet service. It's about $160.00 a month, or a little more, depending on if I rent movies or what not. Probably not the best deal, but I mostly did it that way for convenience sake. One bill.

what about VOIP is for suckers?

I've heard that you get charged more and have more hidden fees and stuff like that. I'm not sure though. It would be interesting to find someone in my area who pays for all 3 services separately and see if they pay more than I pay for the bundle. I imagine that, even if there are savings, they wouldn't be all that significant though.

I've heard that you get charged more and have more hidden fees and stuff like that. I'm not sure though. It would be interesting to find someone in my area who pays for all 3 services separately and see if they pay more than I pay for the bundle. I imagine that, even if there are savings, they wouldn't be all that significant though.

I've been using this for the past 1.5 years, and it's unbelievably good:

Ooma_Web_Carousel-Template-Final-slide4_0.jpg

Free Home Phone Service | Ooma – Ranked # 1 Internet Home Phone Service

Better sound quality than a landline, I got it for $99 at Costco, and all I pay is $2-$3 per month for local/state/fed communication taxes.

It is placed between your modem and your router to ensure that call quality is not compromised. I love mine.

I've been using this for the past 1.5 years, and it's unbelievably good:

Better sound quality than a landline, I got it for $99 at Costco, and all I pay is $2-$3 per month for local/state/fed communication taxes.

It is placed between your modem and your router to ensure that call quality is not compromised. I love mine.

Now that is a good deal!!! I've heard of them, but I was concerned about the reliability and quality of those. Maybe I'll look into that. I've thought about cancelling my land line altogether and just keeping the cell, but I like to have a land line for important calls.

I think I'm going to start charging my cable company money every time my cable TV, my phone, or my internet (or ALL three) go down. My cable TV has been out now for about an hour. Don't you think they should take some money off my bill? I'm sure if I added up all the times I lost one of the three, it would add up in a year's time. I should start keeping track of this and send them a bill. :crybaby:

I'd call the cable company and ask for a credit on my bill for the outage and inconvenience.

Cable companies are losing customers. If you get a competent person (a big if), he'll give you the credit in the hopes of retaining you as a customer.

I think I'm going to start charging my cable company money every time my cable TV, my phone, or my internet (or ALL three) go down. My cable TV has been out now for about an hour. Don't you think they should take some money off my bill? I'm sure if I added up all the times I lost one of the three, it would add up in a year's time. I should start keeping track of this and send them a bill. :crybaby:

I'd call the cable company and ask for a credit on my bill for the outage and inconvenience.

Cable companies are losing customers. If you get a competent person (a big if), he'll give you the credit in the hopes of retaining you as a customer.

They should. I've been a customer with them for years now. After all the money I've given them . . .

BTW, the little mermaid in your sig line is adorable!!!! :)

Is that thing battery powered? How does it work when the electricity is out?

BTW, the little mermaid in your sig line is adorable!!!! :)

Thanks! I'm rather fond of her.

On the cable topic, I have it for only two reasons: Game of Thrones and mr. boe's sports addiction.

Forum List

Back