Cable sucks!

ChrisL

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2014
Wherever the wild things are!!
I think I'm going to start charging my cable company money every time my cable TV, my phone, or my internet (or ALL three) go down. My cable TV has been out now for about an hour. Don't you think they should take some money off my bill? I'm sure if I added up all the times I lost one of the three, it would add up in a year's time. I should start keeping track of this and send them a bill. :crybaby:

Just a minute ago, I lost my phone and internet too. I reset my modem and I have those back now, but still no cable TV. It says "this channel should be available shortly." Grrrrr.

I think I'm going to start charging my cable company money every time my cable TV, my phone, or my internet (or ALL three) go down. My cable TV has been out now for about an hour. Don't you think they should take some money off my bill? I'm sure if I added up all the times I lost one of the three, it would add up in a year's time. I should start keeping track of this and send them a bill. :crybaby:

i tried that they laughed it off

over the years my cable package would go up in price

in the end the standard bill was over 200 a month

and it was really crappy service cable boxes would have to be constantly reset

internet would go down for hours at a time

when we bought a new home i called about a transfer

they wanted 50 bucks for it and we would have bring in the equipment

to a local office

at that point i questioned if i could get a break on the transfer

since we are starting out at square one newbies get free installation

i was told no i complained

finally they offered a five dollar discount --LOL

so i brought up how expensive the package has become

and wanted to know about other packages to cheapen the price

they switched me to another department where i got to listen to their

advertising for a 1/2 hour or more

once someone answered we went through various options

and they all ran around 200 bucks

the newbie package was 89 bucks a month

when i pointed that out and since they are forcing me to start over

we should be considered a newbie as well

i was told that was not possible

and that i should be damn thankful that my bill was only 200 dollars a month

then she wanted to know if she could switch me back to service

i told her i would get back to her

after i hung up we googled direct tv

ordered up the service

they came straight out the new house promptly

i have had them for three years now

and has been a really good service for tv

i use a local phone company

and a local internet company

all three combined are cheaper then the cable comp

plus direct gives us a 10 dollar break for everyone we

recommend to their service

i tried that they laughed it off

over the years my cable package would go up in price

in the end the standard bill was over 200 a month

and it was really crappy service cable boxes would have to be constantly reset

internet would go down for hours at a time

when we bought a new home i called about a transfer

they wanted 50 bucks for it and we would have bring in the equipment

to a local office

at that point i questioned if i could get a break on the transfer

since we are starting out at square one newbies get free installation

i was told no i complained

finally they offered a five dollar discount --LOL

so i brought up how expensive the package has become

and wanted to know about other packages to cheapen the price

they switched me to another department where i got to listen to their

advertising for a 1/2 hour or more

once someone answered we went through various options

and they all ran around 200 bucks

the newbie package was 89 bucks a month

when i pointed that out and since they are forcing me to start over

we should be considered a newbie as well

i was told that was not possible

and that i should be damn thankful that my bill was only 200 dollars a month

then she wanted to know if she could switch me back to service

i told her i would get back to her

after i hung up we googled direct tv

ordered up the service

they came straight out the new house promptly

i have had them for three years now

and has been a really good service for tv

i use a local phone company

and a local internet company

all three combined are cheaper then the cable comp

plus direct gives us a 10 dollar break for everyone we

recommend to their service

Believe me, I'd love to get satellite TV, but I can't have a dish at my place, and they are the cable company monopoly in my area. :frown:

Call them each time it goes down, and ask them to refund that day. They will.

Call them each time it goes down, and ask them to refund that day. They will.

Hmmm. Maybe I should call them right now. I've been without television for a couple of hours now. This channel should be available shortly my arse!!!

you should also checkout dish network

probably has similar deal
I recently found out that Dish uses refurbished DirecTV components.
4i6Ckte.gif

I called DirecTV the other day to tell them I will be returning the bedroom units that came with my signup package two years ago because I never use them. He told me that depending upon what units I had, they may not want them back. They would just cancel the service to those units and I presumably would just throw those receivers away.

Seems pretty wasteful.

I hear that Prism TV is pretty cool. It's not Satellite or Cable, it's ISP based, over fiber-optic.

CenturyLink | Experience Prism TV Service. See the Prism TV Demo.

I don't know that we have that service available here. I've never heard of it before. :smile: Thanks though.

I am going to look into what other services are around. However, I think Comcast is like the monopoly for cable around here, unless you can have a dish. I don't even think we have Verizon in my city (also fiberoptic network I think).

Seems relevant.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More seriously though, yea, that sucks. :(

If it's any consolation, however, satellite's not much better. My service is slow as Hell, and they're constantly jerking us around on coverage as well.

4i6Ckte.gif

I called DirecTV the other day to tell them I will be returning the bedroom units that came with my signup package two years ago because I never use them. He told me that depending upon what units I had, they may not want them back. They would just cancel the service to those units and I presumably would just throw those receivers away.

Seems pretty wasteful.

Yes it does seem wasteful. I wonder why they would do that?

Come to think of it, I just got a new modem last week from Comcast delivered to my house (which I haven't hooked up yet because I'm dreading getting behind the PC with all those wires and dust bunnies, lol), and they never even asked about the old modem. I wonder what I'll do with that?

I hear that Prism TV is pretty cool. It's not Satellite or Cable, it's ISP based, over fiber-optic.

I don't know that we have that service available here. I've never heard of it before. :smile: Thanks though.

I am going to look into what other services are around. However, I think Comcast is like the monopoly for cable around here, unless you can have a dish. I don't even think we have Verizon in my city (also fiberoptic network I think).
Yeah, it looks like it's just in test cities right now.

Seems relevant.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More seriously though, yea, that sucks. :(

If it's any consolation, however, satellite's not much better. My service is slow as Hell, and they're constantly jerking us around on coverage as well.

Lol. :lol:

I can't get satellite anyways because I rent a townhouse, and my landlord won't allow it.
shrug.gif

4i6Ckte.gif

Seems pretty wasteful.

Yes it does seem wasteful. I wonder why they would do that?

Come to think of it, I just got a new modem last week from Comcast delivered to my house (which I haven't hooked up yet because I'm dreading getting behind the PC with all those wires and dust bunnies, lol), and they never even asked about the old modem. I wonder what I'll do with that?

Check your bill for the next few months to make sure they are not still charging you rent for the old modem.

You do realize that you pay prolly $7 per month to rent your Comcast modem? In 10 months that's $70. You can buy a nice Motorola modem on Amazon for $70 and after 10 months you start saving money, plus own your modem (and not be charged if theirs breaks and you're not also paying the $7 per month equipment insurance).

It's a racket designed to nickel and dime you. Best to own as much as you can rather than rent.

Yeah, it looks like it's just in test cities right now.

Probably because I've never heard of it. I think we only have Comcast and one of the satellite TV companies. Not many options, so I'm probably stuck with Comcast.

Lol. :lol:

I can't get satellite anyways because I rent a townhouse, and my landlord won't allow it.
shrug.gif

Ugh. That sucks.

Our Homeowners' Association has a similar policy with regard to window mounted air conditioning units. Several rooms in our house basically feel like saunas in the summer time for that exact reason. lol

Forum List

Back