Buying a used car - any advice?

Here is my simplified advice:

1) Always look UNDER the car. If any fluids appear to be leaking don't buy it as that is a sure sign of neglect and/or abuse.

2) Blue Book Values: Make sure you know them and NEVER pay more :)

3) Dont believe ANYTHING you are told about a car. Make sure you either bring someone with a lot of knowledge or take it to a friendly mechanic to check over for you.

4) You can always send me a PM for specifics about a certain vehicle you are interested in :)

Thanks for the offer. I think I covered all those basics in my OP, though. The Bluebook value on both cars listed is posted, and my own mechanic will be looking underneath those two cars.

Its YOUR car so you are the one who decides in the end. Dont let anyone else push you into or away from a vehicle if its what you truly want and it is in good working order.

I guess thats #5. You seem to have it pretty well covered.

I would be VERY concerned by you B.I.L.'s attitude. If he can't find you what you want forget him. It just feels like he wants to profit from a relative however he can. At this point I would REFUSE to buy from him. By the way if anyone has some advice my car just got "totaled out" so I've got about $4,000 to find a decent car.

Ouch. I hope you weren't injured in the wreck. Another thing I found out is that scrap dealers aren't paying nearly what they were a couple of years ago, for obvious reasons. My Mazda would bring in only about $100, but a Ford Tempo I had scrapped in 2007 brought $225.

As for my BIL, he's always been "difficult," but I did always trust his honesty, as I've said. But this time around, he's just acting like a child over this. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with him on a regular basis.

CarFax is good for finding out if the car has been in a wreck or is a flood car.

But it isn't going to tell you if the owner always changed the oil or drove the car hard.

Again, check the classifieds and buy directly from the owner. Not a dealer.

You can quickly tell by the neighborhood and the demeanor of the owner if the car was well kept or abused.

I think that's great advice.

I actually got a pretty fair price for my car but I will not be able to get another one of the same I had. 1999 Grand Am GT TWO DOOR. I have searched the internet with a 500 mile radius and have found ZERO cars that fit my desciription. If I put in ANY range I find all sorts of them in NY, Kentucky, Illinois, Florida. yada yada yada. I live in IDAHO and I am NOT going to drive a car 2000 miles to get it home.

I actually got a pretty fair price for my car but I will not be able to get another one of the same I had. 1999 Grand Am GT TWO DOOR.

Pontiacs and Buicks around that year are great cars.

The 3100 and 3800 engines are very reliable.

Plus they are really good on gas.

Actually I have a 3.4 liter that the GTs had. I have never been a big fan of service contracts but we paid the extra $1,500 and thank Gawd we did. It paid out about $5,000 in repairs. It had about 60,000 mile when we bought it but since then no problems. Fun to drive good looking and FAST. I will have to downgrade significantly from what I had but at least I will be able to get something that will run long enough to get through college.

If you buying a used car get yourself a toyota, Acura, or honda. It will get the best value for your money that way and you won't have a car that is going to break down all the time. There is a reason they keep their value so well.

Seems pretty straight forward to me - your brother in law was not looking out for your interests (evidenced by the fact that he lied to you about the market), thus you have no obligation at all to do business with him if you find something better. It's none of his business now and he needs to grow up about it. Just politely tell him the subject is no longer open to discussion and keep looking.

I would be VERY concerned by you B.I.L.'s attitude. If he can't find you what you want forget him. It just feels like he wants to profit from a relative however he can. At this point I would REFUSE to buy from him. By the way if anyone has some advice my car just got "totaled out" so I've got about $4,000 to find a decent car.

Ouch. I hope you weren't injured in the wreck. Another thing I found out is that scrap dealers aren't paying nearly what they were a couple of years ago, for obvious reasons. My Mazda would bring in only about $100, but a Ford Tempo I had scrapped in 2007 brought $225.

As for my BIL, he's always been "difficult," but I did always trust his honesty, as I've said. But this time around, he's just acting like a child over this. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with him on a regular basis.

Yeah unfortunately I WAS injured in the wreck. I have been in constant pain since it happened about three weeks ago. I am trying to get well ASAP so I can go on with my life.

I wouldn't deal with the BIL at all at this point. He sounds like a jerk.

AutoTrader.com
craigslist
ebay

All great places to look for used cars. You can search by distance from your zip code on ebay.

Stop it. You should not be driving a car, polluting the planet with your CO2 emissions.

LOL --truthfully, if I didn't live in the country, I wouldn't. When I lived in the city (all 60,000 people), I could walk most places or take the city bus. Cheaper and healthier.

Seems pretty straight forward to me - your brother in law was not looking out for your interests (evidenced by the fact that he lied to you about the market), thus you have no obligation at all to do business with him if you find something better. It's none of his business now and he needs to grow up about it. Just politely tell him the subject is no longer open to discussion and keep looking.

Basically that's what I plan to say, if he continues to yap about it. Thanks.

Yeah unfortunately I WAS injured in the wreck. I have been in constant pain since it happened about three weeks ago. I am trying to get well ASAP so I can go on with my life.

Depending on which part of your bod you wrenched, sprained or broke, you'll probably be dealing with some pain for a while. My right leg and foot were broken in a car wreck in 1984, and even today I'll sometimes get a terrific aching in my ankle which was broken in 3 places. But as long as you know what it is, you can deal with it just fine, even back pain if it's intermittent.

Thanks to everyone who recommended Craigslist. I had never ventured there before, and I've already flagged two cars nearby and just waiting to hear back.

Stay 'tuned' -- Thanks folks!

I always by older used cars from the owner and NEVER from a dealer.

That way you go to he persons house and can judge what kind of owner they were.

With a lot car you have NO idea if the previous owner abused the car.

I always buy lower miles.

Even if the year is older.

For instance, with two identical cars: I would buy a used 2004 with 50,000 miles

Rather than a 2006 with 110,000 miles

Even if the price for both cars was the same.

You'll have to wait for your rep, so the usual message says. ;)

I always ask "how long have you owned it" ?

And "why are you selling it" ?

Good advice (I tried to rep you, but got that message that I had to spread some more around first). I should go back and rep everyone who responded, eventually, but probably can't do that today. Rules ya know.

Forum List

Back