Buying a used car - any advice?

Here is my simplified advice:

1) Always look UNDER the car. If any fluids appear to be leaking don't buy it as that is a sure sign of neglect and/or abuse.

2) Blue Book Values: Make sure you know them and NEVER pay more :)

3) Dont believe ANYTHING you are told about a car. Make sure you either bring someone with a lot of knowledge or take it to a friendly mechanic to check over for you.

4) You can always send me a PM for specifics about a certain vehicle you are interested in :)

Thanks for the offer. I think I covered all those basics in my OP, though. The Bluebook value on both cars listed is posted, and my own mechanic will be looking underneath those two cars.

"black book" Values, is what the dealers use, they laugh at blue book

Black Book, the industry-leading source of used-vehicle valuations, is a service of the National Auto Research Division of Hearst Business Media Corporation. Since 1955 thousands of automotive dealerships and lending institutions have counted on Black Book's data to determine precise values for used vehicles. This data is presented in electronic and printed guidebooks, and in a recent year Black Book distributed more than 6 million of these pricing guides to its business clients.

MaggieMae, just go to any book store and for a few dollars by the NADA buying guide for cars.

It will tell you exactly what the car is worth according to year, condition, and miliage.

1) Always look UNDER the car. If any fluids appear to be leaking don't buy it as that is a sure sign of neglect and/or abuse.

3) Dont believe ANYTHING you are told about a car. Make sure you either bring someone with a lot of knowledge or take it to a friendly mechanic to check over for you.

4) You can always send me a PM for specifics about a certain vehicle you are interested in :)

Thanks for the offer. I think I covered all those basics in my OP, though. The Bluebook value on both cars listed is posted, and my own mechanic will be looking underneath those two cars.

Black Book, the industry-leading source of used-vehicle valuations, is a service of the National Auto Research Division of Hearst Business Media Corporation. Since 1955 thousands of automotive dealerships and lending institutions have counted on Black Book's data to determine precise values for used vehicles. This data is presented in electronic and printed guidebooks, and in a recent year Black Book distributed more than 6 million of these pricing guides to its business clients.

Whatever. These days, the term "Bluebook" is rather like "Kleenex." Everybody knows what you mean.

MaggieMae, just go to any book store and for a few dollars by the NADA buying guide for cars.

It will tell you exactly what the car is worth according to year, condition, and miliage.

I think Consumer Reports puts out a list of cars, by year, and what went wrong that year (as a deterent for buying a particular make or model that might have had a bad year).

Whatever. These days, the term "Bluebook" is rather like "Kleenex." Everybody knows what you mean.

What do you mean "Whatever"? Geez, knowledge is power, silly one. To know what the dealer knows gives you power, silly
Blackbook is a whole other way of evaluation

What do you mean "Whatever"? Geez, knowledge is power, silly one. To know what the dealer knows gives you power, silly
Blackbook is a whole other way of evaluation

Because if I say "What does the Blue Book say?" and the dealer says "I use the Black Book." Why would I care? Ergo...whatever... I really wasn't intending to be hostile. Seriously.

register at littledebbie.com you could win this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE2toTurxVY]YouTube - Little Debbie Chocolate Cupcakes commercial: Coast to Coast[/ame]

Instead of going to other dealers have you tried craigslist? My 19 year old just bought a car after spending 1/2 the summer looking for one. We found a guy who buys only reliable brands . . . Hondas, Toyotas, etc. from trade ins at the local auto auction. Any car we looked at from him we took to a separate mechanic. The car she bought had just been inspected, one owner, Corolla, '99 w/90K miles or so. My brother also just went through this process. He lost his job, his car ('03 Jetta POS that started falling apart at 30K) was on it's last legs. He spent months combing the ads and looking at cars (he only wanted a stick though so he had less to choose from) and he finally found exactly what he was looking for. You'll save money by buying from an individual vs. a dealer but you have to go over it very well. Usually you can negotiate a lower price w/an individual too. Try craigslist. You can sort by specific make/model/price too. Might be worth a look.

I'm going to look at an '02 Jetta GL (wagon) tomorrow. Auto with 88K miles, asking $5,800. What should I be looking for, or did the 03 Jettas have unique problems? I had an '86 Jetta sedan 5-speed, and I loved it.

Instead of going to other dealers have you tried craigslist? My 19 year old just bought a car after spending 1/2 the summer looking for one. We found a guy who buys only reliable brands . . . Hondas, Toyotas, etc. from trade ins at the local auto auction. Any car we looked at from him we took to a separate mechanic. The car she bought had just been inspected, one owner, Corolla, '99 w/90K miles or so. My brother also just went through this process. He lost his job, his car ('03 Jetta POS that started falling apart at 30K) was on it's last legs. He spent months combing the ads and looking at cars (he only wanted a stick though so he had less to choose from) and he finally found exactly what he was looking for. You'll save money by buying from an individual vs. a dealer but you have to go over it very well. Usually you can negotiate a lower price w/an individual too. Try craigslist. You can sort by specific make/model/price too. Might be worth a look.

I'm going to look at an '02 Jetta GL (wagon) tomorrow. Auto with 88K miles, asking $5,800. What should I be looking for, or did the 03 Jettas have unique problems? I had an '86 Jetta sedan 5-speed, and I loved it.
Go to Edmunds.com and read the reveiws of owners and previous owners of any car.

For example, in your case, google: 2002 jetta gl edmunds review :eusa_angel:

I don't know the specifics of years for Jettas but his was an '03 and at 30K major things started going wrong. He sunk bucks into the thing (I'd have to get a hold of him to find out exactly but I do know that it was like a money pit). I'd be wary of Jettas. We used Edmunds to get a ballpark figure on pricing and also to read the reviews. Specific years of cars are more lemony than other years. Also read a lot of consumer's reviews on there to get a feel for what kind of problems to expect.

Corollas hold their value better than most any other car in that price range. My daughter was thinking of getting a Honda Civic and we looked at 4 and they just didn't seem as good as the Corollas. Also - and you have to check for the years because I'm not sure if it's all Corollas or just a range - they have timing chains vs. timing belts. Timing chains don't have to be replaced (hey, if this is wrong somebody please correct me!). If you're looking at mileage in the 75K+ range ask if this has been done yet. A timing belt and water pump (they have to remove the water pump to get to the belt so you may as well put in a new pump at the same time) will run you around $700 give or take.

When you say "Blue Book" value, which price are you referring to? Private party, or dealer price? I only buy used cars also, and I've found a few dealers that actually sell used cars at private party Blue Book prices instead of dealer Blue Book prices.

When you say "Blue Book" value, which price are you referring to? Private party, or dealer price? I only buy used cars also, and I've found a few dealers that actually sell used cars at private party Blue Book prices instead of dealer Blue Book prices.

The only dealer I've talked to pulled out a "book" (I do believe it was black--nod to Pixi), for the prices, so I just presumed it was dealer book. However, as I perused Craigslist yesterday, the price on that 2005 Focus seems very low (4,950), especially with only 86,000 miles, so that might be a red flag that it's a dog for some reason. Anyway, he was supposed to have taken it to MY mechanic yesterday (he uses the same one, did I mention that?), and get back to me with a report. If I haven't heard from him by late today, I'll call my mechanic myself and see what's up.

The only dealer I've talked to pulled out a "book" (I do believe it was black--nod to Pixi), for the prices, so I just presumed it was dealer book. However, as I perused Craigslist yesterday, the price on that 2005 Focus seems very low (4,950), especially with only 86,000 miles, so that might be a red flag that it's a dog for some reason. Anyway, he was supposed to have taken it to MY mechanic yesterday (he uses the same one, did I mention that?), and get back to me with a report. If I haven't heard from him by late today, I'll call my mechanic myself and see what's up.

New Cars, Used Cars, Blue Book Values & Car Prices - Kelley Blue Book

Just plug in the numbers.

Forum List

Back