Brooklyn Speed Camera - 1551 Tickets In One Day - $77,550 - Yay Yay I Love It

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Speeders are deadly criminals and i say make them pay even more. Make the criminals pay and lets reduce taxes on us law-abiders.

A Single Speed Camera On Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn Pumped Out 77 550 In Tickets In One Day Orrazz

sep 29 2014
A speed camera in Brooklyn tallied a bank-busting 1,551 tickets in a single day this summer, according to the Department of Transportation. At $50 a pop, the July 7 ticket blitz generated $77,550 for city coffers.

The camera is located near Ocean Parkway at the end of a 400-foot exit ramp — “a good amount of distance for drivers to adjust their speeds,” a DOT spokesman said.

Local politicians are split over the controversial camera.
The area’s city councilman, Chaim Deutsch, praised it for making roadways safer.

Speed-camera violations are issued to anyone going more than 10 mph over the posted speed limit, which in this case is 30 mph.

• Banned
$50 ain't enough for doing 40+ in a 30. I can see $500 since it appears this is on a freeway and other drivers are stuck there when a speeder causes a crash-jam. Stop coddling these killers.

Deadly criminals? Put a camera in an area where the speed limit is suddenly reduced from 65 to 55 while drivers are daydreaming and harvest a bunch of deadly criminals? In your freaking dreams.

Speeders are deadly criminals and i say make them pay even more. Make the criminals pay and lets reduce taxes on us law-abiders.

A Single Speed Camera On Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn Pumped Out 77 550 In Tickets In One Day Orrazz

sep 29 2014
A speed camera in Brooklyn tallied a bank-busting 1,551 tickets in a single day this summer, according to the Department of Transportation. At $50 a pop, the July 7 ticket blitz generated $77,550 for city coffers.

The camera is located near Ocean Parkway at the end of a 400-foot exit ramp — “a good amount of distance for drivers to adjust their speeds,” a DOT spokesman said.

The area’s city councilman, Chaim Deutsch, praised it for making roadways safer.

Speed-camera violations are issued to anyone going more than 10 mph over the posted speed limit, which in this case is 30 mph.

Nothing more than revenue raising.

sep 29 2014

It's probably going to generate perhaps 1/10th of the actual fines.
Most speed cameras are either illegal or improper.
Look, you're on some stupid crusade. We get it.
Stow it.
BTW, these are not criminal charges. The citations are civil. Meaning, they don't have to be paid.
Speed cameras area all for show.
They are also a violation of the 5th and 6th Amendment. The way the cities get around the Constitutional issue is to make them civil rather than criminal.
Dials it down from "beyond a reasonable doubt" to "based on the preponderance of evidence"...
And your speed thingy is wrong. The most hazardous type drivers are those that indiscriminately change lanes. Drive in the passing lanes without keeping with the flow of traffic. Fail to use turn signals to warn other drivers of their intentions.
You are under the assumption that someone going 70 in a 65 is a criminal.
This is is why most people on USMB thing you're a lunatic fringe far right kook.

• Banned
[
And your speed thingy is wrong. The most hazardous type drivers are those that indiscriminately change lanes..

Neither you nor i know if that is true, but the important thing is that there is no way to enforce a ban against "indiscriminate lane changes". But it's easy to enforce speed limits and red light running and drunk driving. That's why we do it. THINK

[
And your speed thingy is wrong. The most hazardous type drivers are those that indiscriminately change lanes..

Neither you nor i know if that is true, but the important thing is that there is no way to enforce a ban against "indiscriminate lane changes". But it's easy to enforce speed limits and red light running and drunk driving. That's why we do it. THINK
Sure there is. It's called good police work...
I cannot count how many times I have seen egregious traffic violations which occurred in the line of sight of a police officer and the offender was ignored.
There is not a "ban" on the above hazards. They are violations of traffic statutes.
Motorists who have good driving records are pretty sick of the cops going after the low hanging fruit.

Texters and cell phone users in general are the ones who scare the shit out of me. They ought to throw those idiots in jail for a week on their first offense. 65 year-old guys on Harleys scare me too. There's jillions of them out there. They all think they're Marlon Brando, except their reactions are about half as fast as those of a 25 year-old. They die like flies out here on the US 160.

speed kills less than stupidity, less than texting, less than drinking and driving. It isn't speed that kills, its stupid drivers, no signalling, going too slow, changing lanes at the last second, falling asleep at the wheel, looking down texting, driving after dark (old people), aggressive drivers, tailgating, road rage, etc.. that kills..... much much more than going 25 over.

sep 29 2014

Personally, I believe such cameras are unconstitutional and it's only a matter of time before they're outlawed for exactly that reason.

In a nutshell, they violate 5th/14th Amendment right of due process in that the state does not have to prove I violated the law and the 5th Amendment protection from self incrimination.

sep 29 2014

If you don't want to pay.......don't speed.

sep 29 2014

If you don't want to pay.......don't speed.

If the person is going a fair way over the limit, fair enough, but if you are fining people for couple a mile or two over, that's just ridiculous.

speed kills less than stupidity, less than texting, less than drinking and driving. It isn't speed that kills, its stupid drivers, no signalling, going too slow, changing lanes at the last second, falling asleep at the wheel, looking down texting, driving after dark (old people), aggressive drivers, tailgating, road rage, etc.. that kills..... much much more than going 25 over.

Speeders are deadly killers. Only an idiot questions that. Would you rather be hit by someone doing 75 or someone doing 50? THINK

[]

If the person is going a fair way over the limit, fair enough, but if you are fining people for couple a mile or two over, that's just ridiculous.

The article says the tickets are for 10 or more mph over the limit. READ

[

Personally, I believe such cameras are unconstitutional and it's only a matter of time before they're outlawed for exactly that reason.

In a nutshell, they violate 5th/14th Amendment right of due process in that the state does not have to prove I violated the law and the 5th Amendment protection from self incrimination.

You don't know the law. Speeding is not a felony or misdemeanor. It's an infraction and offenders are subject only to a fine. In the eyes of the law, speeding is not really a crime. THINK

Texters and cell phone users in general are the ones who scare the shit out of me. They ought to throw those idiots in jail for a week on their first offense.
Amen to this. As if those who speed wasn't enough. All that people who don't know how to lay their phones down for two seconds do is add more to a mountain that shouldn't even exist.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

[

You don't know the law. Speeding is not a felony or misdemeanor. It's an infraction and offenders are subject only to a fine. In the eyes of the law, speeding is not really a crime. THINK
Too bad you don't think, eh? First of all, speeding infractions can be criminal. It depends on the state, the speed of the driver, and the speed limit. But even in cases which are civil and not criminal, the people are still protected by the Constitution. And very often, tickets stemming from cameras only capture the licence plate and the vehicle, not the driver. Still, the state tickets the owner of the vehicle, who may not necessarily be the individual driving the car at the time of the infraction. It happened to me. My wife's car, which is in my name, was recorded going through a red light. The images didn't even capture who was driving. Meanwhile, without having to prove I broke the law, the state ticketed me. The instructions with the ticket offered me the option of "turning my wife in" (a violation of my 5th Amendment rights). Barring that, the state did not carry the burden of proving I actually drove through a red light (which amazingly, the image they sent me showed a green arrow, so there should have been no ticket issued anyway).

Forum List

Back