Brooklyn Speed Camera - 1551 Tickets In One Day - $77,550 - Yay Yay I Love It

[

Personally, I believe such cameras are unconstitutional and it's only a matter of time before they're outlawed for exactly that reason.

In a nutshell, they violate 5th/14th Amendment right of due process in that the state does not have to prove I violated the law and the 5th Amendment protection from self incrimination.

You don't know the law. Speeding is not a felony or misdemeanor. It's an infraction and offenders are subject only to a fine. In the eyes of the law, speeding is not really a crime. THINK
Too bad you don't think, eh? First of all, speeding infractions can be criminal. It depends on the state, the speed of the driver, and the speed limit. But even in cases which are civil and not criminal, the people are still protected by the Constitution. And very often, tickets stemming from cameras only capture the licence plate and the vehicle, not the driver. Still, the state tickets the owner of the vehicle, who may not necessarily be the individual driving the car at the time of the infraction. It happened to me. My wife's car, which is in my name, was recorded going through a red light. The images didn't even capture who was driving. Meanwhile, without having to prove I broke the law, the state ticketed me. The instructions with the ticket offered me the option of "turning my wife in" (a violation of my 5th Amendment rights). Barring that, the state did not carry the burden of proving I actually drove through a red light (which amazingly, the image they sent me showed a green arrow, so there should have been no ticket issued anyway).

In almost every state 20+ over is considered a misdemeanor which is criminal.
So? That's in line with what I said ... depends on the state, the speed of the driver, and the speed limit.

Why is your Wife's car in your name? Some kind of control issue?
Nope, I'm the one with the job and the good credit rating.

The camera doesn't show who was driving the car during the incident, but as the registered owner of the car I need to ask; Who was driving your car on that day?

I honestly have no idea who was driving that car that day. I have 4 cars in my name and there are several drivers in my family, any one whom could have been driving it.

Time to hold a family meeting and tell someone to pay up.

Since when in America is it the job of citizens to prove themselves not guilty when state cannot prove guilt? When did that burden shift to the defendant??

If you have a case, go to court.

Quit hiding behind the constitution you putz, man-up and pay the ticket.........
Pay for what? Going through a green arrow when it may not have even been me driving? Sorry, but I don't cave like whimpering Conservatives. :gay: Instead, I followed the directions with the ticket to fight it in court, which I was actually looking forward to. Unfortunately, the state threw the ticket out.

So now the state threw the ticket out. I see, you made the whole thing up.

[

Personally, I believe such cameras are unconstitutional and it's only a matter of time before they're outlawed for exactly that reason.

In a nutshell, they violate 5th/14th Amendment right of due process in that the state does not have to prove I violated the law and the 5th Amendment protection from self incrimination.

You don't know the law. Speeding is not a felony or misdemeanor. It's an infraction and offenders are subject only to a fine. In the eyes of the law, speeding is not really a crime. THINK
Too bad you don't think, eh? First of all, speeding infractions can be criminal. It depends on the state, the speed of the driver, and the speed limit. But even in cases which are civil and not criminal, the people are still protected by the Constitution. And very often, tickets stemming from cameras only capture the licence plate and the vehicle, not the driver. Still, the state tickets the owner of the vehicle, who may not necessarily be the individual driving the car at the time of the infraction. It happened to me. My wife's car, which is in my name, was recorded going through a red light. The images didn't even capture who was driving. Meanwhile, without having to prove I broke the law, the state ticketed me. The instructions with the ticket offered me the option of "turning my wife in" (a violation of my 5th Amendment rights). Barring that, the state did not carry the burden of proving I actually drove through a red light (which amazingly, the image they sent me showed a green arrow, so there should have been no ticket issued anyway).

So? That's in line with what I said ... depends on the state, the speed of the driver, and the speed limit.

The camera doesn't show who was driving the car during the incident, but as the registered owner of the car I need to ask; Who was driving your car on that day?

I honestly have no idea who was driving that car that day. I have 4 cars in my name and there are several drivers in my family, any one whom could have been driving it.

Since when in America is it the job of citizens to prove themselves not guilty when state cannot prove guilt? When did that burden shift to the defendant??

Quit hiding behind the constitution you putz, man-up and pay the ticket.........
Pay for what? Going through a green arrow when it may not have even been me driving? Sorry, but I don't cave like whimpering Conservatives. :gay: Instead, I followed the directions with the ticket to fight it in court, which I was actually looking forward to. Unfortunately, the state threw the ticket out.

Made nothing up. Who knows how you reached that conclusion based on what I said? Maybe you're just disconnected from reality?

Oh, and you still haven't answered ... when did the burden of proof shift from the state to the defendant?

Most of the time speed cameras catch parents dropping off their kids, elderly folks, and businessmen in a hurry. It is a money making venture for an underfunded police department.

speed kills less than stupidity, less than texting, less than drinking and driving. It isn't speed that kills, its stupid drivers, no signalling, going too slow, changing lanes at the last second, falling asleep at the wheel, looking down texting, driving after dark (old people), aggressive drivers, tailgating, road rage, etc.. that kills..... much much more than going 25 over.
He doesn't care about that stuff. Otherwise he'd be pissed that more and more distractions are being added to cars every year.

Made nothing up. Who knows how you reached that conclusion based on what I said? Maybe you're just disconnected from reality?

Oh, and you still haven't answered ... when did the burden of proof shift from the state to the defendant?

So the story is;

Your car received a ticket.

You don't know who was driving your car.

The ticket was thrown out.

Most of the time speed cameras catch parents dropping off their kids, elderly folks, and businessmen in a hurry. It is a money making venture for an underfunded police department.

They broke the law and got caught..........MAN-UP!

So the story is;

And to you, that makes it "made up." :cuckoo:

At any rate, I believe it was thrown out because somebody reviewed the photo which prompted the ticket and saw the green arrow (next to the red light) and determined that my car was making a legal U - turn.

That has nothing to do with my contention that the process of ticketing individuals without proving they violated the law is unconstitutional.

Oh, and you STILL haven't answered ... in America, when did the burden of proof shift from the state to the defendant? That you refuse to answer is very telling.

[

Nothing more than revenue raising.

So? What's wrong with making criminals pay?

s0n......you gotta get past this silly obsession.

Go out and buy a SMARTFORTWO.......be a good role model!!! Sounding off about this shit in the nether-regions of the intanets, 24/7 makes you look like a k00k......do something productive. Words don't mean shit in life.

Speeding tickets are soley a means for greedy police departments to rake in cash. They don't give two shits about the "safety hazards" caused by speeding, as if speeding creates such hazards in the first place. I drive anywhere from 160kph to 220kph and its perfectly safe and legal to do so where I live. The police here aren't out to get you if you do speed either. I understand having cameras in residential areas and enforcing limits there, but on freeways it's just about making money.

HAHAHA. So if you're a businessman in a hurry you're allowed to break the law and endanger others?? Get help please.

$50 ain't enough for doing 40+ in a 30. I can see $500 since it appears this is on a freeway and other drivers are stuck there when a speeder causes a crash-jam. Stop coddling these killers.
You are a fucking police state moron.

speed kills less than stupidity, less than texting, less than drinking and driving. It isn't speed that kills, its stupid drivers, no signalling, going too slow, changing lanes at the last second, falling asleep at the wheel, looking down texting, driving after dark (old people), aggressive drivers, tailgating, road rage, etc.. that kills..... much much more than going 25 over.
He doesn't care about that stuff. Otherwise he'd be pissed that more and more distractions are being added to cars every year.

I care about stuff like that. It's awful the way the car makers have installed internet access in cars. If i had my way all electronic toys, even radios, would be banned from cars.

[
So the story is;

The ticket is not thrown out. You still have to pay the fine. They don't have to prove you were driving.

Oh, and you STILL haven't answered ... in America, when did the burden of proof shift from the state to the defendant? That you refuse to answer is very telling.

In the first place when are you going to LEARN HOW TO DELETE??? Your threads always contain comments from ten other people.

Now to answer your question - Since the penalty is only a fine not a prison term, this is not really a criminal matter and the rules of evidence are not as strict. THINK

Speeding tickets are soley a means for greedy police departments to rake in cash. They don't give two shits about the "safety hazards" caused by speeding, as if speeding creates such hazards in the first place. .

Hey einstein. You really think speeding is safe??? Would you rather be hit by someone doing 50 mph or 100 mph? THINK

Speeding tickets are soley a means for greedy police departments to rake in cash. They don't give two shits about the "safety hazards" caused by speeding, as if speeding creates such hazards in the first place. I drive anywhere from 160kph to 220kph and its perfectly safe and legal to do so where I live. The police here aren't out to get you if you do speed either. I understand having cameras in residential areas and enforcing limits there, but on freeways it's just about making money.

Where do you live....In the land of Grand Theft Auto?

HAHAHA. So if you're a businessman in a hurry you're allowed to break the law and endanger others?? Get help please.
No. I am pointing out that most of the people caught by speed cameras aren't 'criminals', and there is skint evidence that speed cameras actually dissuade crime, let alone speeding. I would hardly call being over the speed limit by a few miles as 'endangering others', someone can be going at 20 miles and still be a dangerous driver.

They broke the law and got caught..........MAN-UP!
And? Just because people get speed tickets, does not mean that it made the road 'safer', unless you honestly believe that fines offer an effective deterrent to someone who would drive at a dangerous speed, camera or not. As if a criminal in a car chase is going to slow down because there is a red light or a speed camera.

Yep, bet few in this thread have never heard of the autobahn either, the way they go on about how going over the US speed limit by 10-12 miles is a safety risk: Advisory speed limit - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
The Richtgeschwindigkeit (German Advisory or Suggested Speed of Travel) is a legal term in Germany describing the advisory speed limit for roads without a mandatory speed limit. Autobahns have an advisory speed limit of 130 kilometres per hour (81 mph) on non-signposted sections.

Exceeding the advised speed is not a criminal offense, however an increased liability in the case of an accident may result from driving faster than the recommended speed, due to an increased danger of operating the vehicle.[5]

In Germany, the Autobahn-Richtgeschwindigkeits-Verordnung (Directive on Reference Speed on Motorways), introduced in 1974, recommends a speed of no more than 130 km/h (81 mph) for autobahns and similar roads, whose lanes are separated by a median or which have at least two lanes per direction, provided there are no traffic signs posting a lower speed limit.
Heresy! A voluntary speed limit. :eusa_shhh:

Forum List

Back