British Comedy

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
Does anyone else enjoy British comedy? Since the days of Benny Hill, I've always been a big fan. Of course, everybody always mentions Monty Python, but some of the modern Brit shows are awesome.

A few of my favorites have been:

Fresh Meat- The lives of 6 college freshmen living in university housing together. I don't know what the proper name is.. I call it "dramady" because it is a mix of drama and comedy. There is no laugh track or live studio audience and the show has lots of college-age "drama" but it is mostly funny. The characters range from cool to quirky to different.

Friday Night Dinner- At first, I thought this sounded like it would be boring as hell. It centers around Friday night dinner with a Jewish family. The most unusual thing about the show is the way they repeat the same "jokes" over and over every week... and it works somehow. Again, sounds like it would get boring but it never does. The circumstances of the characters and their interactions, the introduction of new characters and some really creative story ideas keep it fresh and funny every episode.

The Inbetweeners- This follows the lives of 4 friends in high school. Now it sounds like this might not be enjoyable for adults but Brits are a lot more 'adult' oriented in their comedy and this one is pretty raunchy at times. Since the 4 friends are guys, you can imagine there is lots of discussion about sex and girls. In fact, that's mostly what the show centers around... these 4 geeks in 'sixth form', trying to lose their virginity.

Peep Show- I discovered this one a while back. It's like a modern British "Odd Couple" type of show. Two flatmates who are as different as night and day. It is an innovative and unique style that catches your eye on this one. Originally, it was called "POV" for 'point of view' because the camera shots often appear as if seen through the eyes of the characters.

A few more details about Brit-Coms... their "seasons" are called "series" and typically have 6-10 episodes per... much less than most American shows who can have 30 episodes or more per season. Some of the comedy centers around personalities and British culture and is hard to follow unless you are familiar.

Here are some links for the shows mentioned in the OP:

Fresh Meat - 1st episode:

Friday Night Dinner- The Fox (one of the best episodes)

The Inbetweeners- 1st ep.

Peep Show- first episode:

We enjoy them quite a bit.

Even better, we find the British murder mysteries and police procedurals to be far better than their American counterparts.

Only the American True Detective and Longmire even come close to such as Broadchurch or Happy Valley.

British Comedy and Drama are superb.

Last edited:
Are You Being Served, Are You Being Served Again, 'Allo 'Allo, Yes Minister, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, BlackAdder, Dads Army....

Loved them all

British Comedy and Drama are superb.

Definitely shits on American offers. Even shows like Friday Night Dinner which sound like it would be excruciatingly boring... Someone said they are planning on doing a US version... it will tank because it will suck. Somehow the Brits make it work, the writing is excellent, the ideas are fresh and imaginative. And they aren't afraid to take chances or push the boundaries.

Never saw Steptoe and Son, which turned into Sanford and Son, or Til Death Do Us Part, which became All in the Family, while I lived outside London.

May look them up, and see how they compared,

I'm a big fan of Catherine Tate. She plays so many characters (all of them well) it would be hard to pick one as representative... but here's Nan -- all of the characters in the intro are her:

And here she is doing an American accent...

I'm a big fan of Catherine Tate. She plays so many characters (all of them well) it would be hard to pick one as representative... but here's Nan -- all of the characters in the intro are her:

Only time I ever saw her is as Dr Who assistant.

Ah -- then you'll dig this:

They're both well versed in Shakespeare.

Seriously, they're British.

EVERY British actor has a background in Shakespeare.

(Whether they want it or not)

Watched the first Inspector Morse tonight again featuring Sergeant Lewis (John Thaw, Kevin Whatley).

Seriously, they're British.

EVERY British actor has a background in Shakespeare.

(Whether they want it or not)

No, I mean at expert level. I've seen them competing in Shakespeare-offs.

But the Brits are very attached to their Shakespeare, speaking of comedians...

Forum List

Back