Breastfeeding= Nanny State

I'm learning about logical fallacies. So I''m practicing my critical thinking skills by identifying them in myself and others. Though of course now I'm looking for them, I'm not going to make them. Or maybe I am..that in and of itself is a no-no in critical thinking, but an idiot like Liefinger will never catch on, and I have the added benefit of watching him cry in public.

win win!

Or we could just dispense with the nit-picky bullshit and talk about the larger issues.

Bachman thinks it's idiotic to fund breast pumps to encourage women who are below the poverty line to breast feed.

Considering the relative health benefits to mother and child of breast feeding versus bottle feeding, I think it's pennies on the dollar.

I mean, the government funds circumcision which is basically a cosmetic surgery that's health benefits are so minuscule that it's hard to make an argument for circumcision with a straight face. We basically do it, because of our judeo-christian heritage.

Why is funding something with proven health benefits such a controversial notion?

So are we coming back to the argument breast pumps are necessary to or encourage breast feeding? I guess I should go to the breast pump museum and check out the prehistoric pumps made out of coconuts and bamboo because no one in their right mind would breast feed without one. Even if you do think you need a breast pump, you can buy a mechanical one for thirty dollars or less.

Aside from the health benefits of breast feeding - which are widely known, no one is keeping it a secret - the cost benefits of breast feeding are astronomical. Formula is extremely expensive and not an option for most low income people anyways. The simple fact is the government doesn't need to subsidize breast pumps in order for breast feeding to make economic sense. And again, breast pumps are NOT a necessary part of breast feeding.

No, the state is being called a nanny state for trying to spend money on breast pumps as a way to induce women to breast feed.

Explain how a tax deduction for breastpump is "state trying to spend money on breast pumps"?
A tax deduction ALLOWS CITIZENS TO KEEP THEIR OWN $$ THEY EARNED.
The $$ is not the government's $$. It is the taxpayer's $$$.
You sound like a liberal. You must have a government job.

Why not just do away with the tax write off that every business gets for paying health insurance for their employees.
That is a nanny state also.
SAME EXACT THING.
Americans are DUMBASSES.

Breast pumps themselves are a non-issue a 50 dollar item will yield maybe a 20 buck tax break. What is the issue is that the government is being called a nanny state for advocating healthy activities
It once again shows the pettiness and vindictiveness of Bachmann
The first lady has every right to advocate breastfeeding and trying to remove restrictions in the workplace
Does Bachmann even know what a nanny state is?

evidence please, links?

:eusa_whistle:

A little bump happy aren't we?
Impatient little minx

Here is your link again

http://www.coopernundrums.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/granny-middle-finger.jpg

Last edited:
Why not just do away with the tax write off that every business gets for paying health insurance for their employees.
SAME EXACT THING.
Americans are DUMBASSES.

Another logical fallacy. If we give tax breaks to an industry that produces oil, it's the EXACT SAME THING.

You're a dumbass.

SAME EXACT THING.
Americans are DUMBASSES.

Another logical fallacy. If we give tax breaks to an industry that produces oil, it's the EXACT SAME THING.

You're a dumbass.

How does ANY industry "produce oil"?
Oil is pumped, transported and delivered.
Gasoline is produced.
Tax breaks DO NOT give any $$ to anyone which is what YOU alleged.
Because you know nothing about how the private for profit sector operates.

Last edited:
SAME EXACT THING.
Americans are DUMBASSES.

You're a dumbass.

How does ANY industry "produce oil"?
Oil is pumped, transported and delivered.
Gasoline is produced.
Tax breaks DO NOT give any $$ to anyone which is what YOU alleged.
Because you know nothing about how the private for profit sector operates.

Another logical fallacy.

I want to cut and paste this thread into my homework.

I don't want anything, I know you're full of crap.

If you want to know what you're being asked for, maybe you should scroll back.

A little bump happy aren't we?
Impatient little minx

Here is your link again

http://www.coopernundrums.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/granny-middle-finger.jpg

So you admit you have nothing.
Beautiful.

Name specifically what you and Trajan want links to?

That Breast Pumps cost $50?
so you believe that if a tax break is given for something that costs so little that more people would buy them than do now?

Forum List

Back