Breastfeeding= Nanny State

I am saying it is a non-issue because once again wingnuts like Backmann are harping on a minor part of a larger issue. The issue in Obama's initiative is not to force women to breastfeed but to remove impediments to a woman who wants to breastfeed her child but cant. I said it is a non-issue because a woman will not make her decision based on a $50 breastpump

The REAL issue is that women decide not to breastfeed because it interferes with their ability to work. Either their employers refuse to allow them time to pump or there is no appropriate area where she can pump and store her milk

Yes and no. The issue being "breastfeeding" is a sly cover for intervention into private business.

But the pump is a red herring.... Michelle Obama Pushes Breast Feeding, Employers Need to Act....And the law is on her side. A provision of the new health care law requires employers with more than 50 employees to “provide reasonable break time” for an employee to nurse and “provide a place, other than a bathroom” to do the nursing.
CLICK

The linked article does not honesty reflect the provision.CLICK which address expressing milk not nursing your child.

You have obviously never been around women who breastfeed..

You can pump in a rest room.

Would you eat your lunch in a restroom? Would you feed your most beloved child milk that was expressed in a toilet?

You can pump in advance at home.

Nine to ten hours is a long time to go without pumping milk

You can store in a refirgerator.

or you could buy a small cooler that would be tax deductable
You can store in a cooler.

Yes you can. All your employer would have to do is make sure there is a safe place you can store your cooler

If you mean it's gross to breastfeed your babby in the restroom . . . babbies are clueless, they don't know they're in a restroom and wouldn't care if they did know.

The milk isn't expressed into a toilet it's expressed into a container. Many restrooms also have sofas in them and pumping there would be pretty comfortable. I'm sure there's an empty office around that one could use instead of the restroom though.

Why can't the pumping mother just bring a cooler from home to store the milk in along with some freezy packs. One and done.

Germs are not clueless, restrooms are full of fecal bacteria

All women want is a reasonable accomodation of the time and a relatively clean place to pump milk.

Not that big a deal

So are door knobs. If the mom washes her hands (as she would do regardless of where she was pumping), pumps then seals the container . . . how are fecal germs getting into the milk or even on the outside of the container? They're not.

Like I said, many employee restrooms have sofas/lounge type areas in them. Heck, Target's public bathroom does. There are also office that could be used.

Last edited:
If you mean it's gross to breastfeed your babby in the restroom . . . babbies are clueless, they don't know they're in a restroom and wouldn't care if they did know.

The milk isn't expressed into a toilet it's expressed into a container. Many restrooms also have sofas in them and pumping there would be pretty comfortable. I'm sure there's an empty office around that one could use instead of the restroom though.

Why can't the pumping mother just bring a cooler from home to store the milk in along with some freezy packs. One and done.

All women want is a reasonable accomodation of the time and a relatively clean place to pump milk.

Not that big a deal

So are door knobs. If the mom washes her hands (as she would do regardless of where she was pumping), pumps then seals the container . . . how are fecal germs getting into the milk or even on the outside of the container? They're not.

Like I said, many employee restrooms have sofas/lounge type areas in them. Heck, Target's public bathroom does. There are also office that could be used.

Agree

If it is a clean, reasonable accomodation it should not be that big a deal for most employers

Not that big a deal

Agree

If it is a clean, reasonable accomodation it should not be that big a deal for most employers

You are all missing the point.... tax breaks for breast pumps is stupid!

Michelle is bitching because more blacks dont breast feed.... that has ZILCH to do with a dirty place to pump or feed your baby.

I think the Feds need to stop trying to "MILK" the taxpayers out of more of OUR money for foolish endeavors.

Logical fallacy. Again.

As in Rightwinger got it right. And Allie prefers oil company profits over healthy babies. Typical Conservative:lol:

And how do you prefer to we take care for them in the 1st place.

Without oil and its byproducts we would all be dead.

Go play with your global warming charts and let the grown ups speak...... go to your room!

Well then maybe you should read my original post where I brought up the $50 breast pump being a non-issue

It is an issue becuase of the way it was presented.

If it were presented as a way to make those that wish to breast feed more apt to breast feed...fine.

But it was brought up in a way saying it is PREFERRED by our first lady that women breast feed and therefore an incentive to do so should be implemented.

The approach of this administration and first family is what needs to be worked on. They are the first family....not our masters.

Laws should not be implemented to refelct preferences of the first family. They need to understand this.

It is the preferred way.
No one is forcing anyone to do a damn thing.
They never claimed to be your master. It is NOT A LAW.
MTDAN

No..it is not a law...But she is pushing for legislation to accomodate what SHE prefers.
And it is not preferred by all. I know many that prefer to feed formula

Agree

Michelle is bitching because more blacks dont breast feed.... that has ZILCH to do with a dirty place to pump or feed your baby.

I think the Feds need to stop trying to "MILK" the taxpayers out of more of OUR money for foolish endeavors.

I didn't miss the point, was just pointing out that many places already do accommodate nursing mothers.

Tax breaks for breast pumps IS moronic. Isn't the cry 'Government has no place in the womb' (well unless it's money paying for abortion)? Then why should they have a place at the bewbbie pump? Nope. If a woman wants to breastfeed, have at it but stop expecting a kickback or tax break or whatever, just go buy the damn pump or go get your kid at lunch and suckle them.

I didn't miss the point, was just pointing out that many places already do accommodate nursing mothers.

Tax breaks for breast pumps IS moronic. Isn't the cry 'Government has no place in the womb' (well unless it's money paying for abortion)? Then why should they have a place at the bewbbie pump? Nope. If a woman wants to breastfeed, have at it but stop expecting a kickback or tax break or whatever, just go buy the damn pump or go get your kid at lunch and suckle them.

My point wasnt really directed at you.... Im in your corner on this issue.

Leave my pocketbook alone.

Agree

So when you get a deduction for health care that is "tax dollars"
OK, end all tax dollars for government employees TO GET HEALTH CARE AND HEALTH INSURANCE.
End maternity coverage for government employees.
Are you for that?

My point wasnt really directed at you.... Im in your corner on this issue.

Leave my pocketbook alone.

Tax deductions DO NOT COST YOU A CENT.

Agree

OK, end all tax dollars for government employees TO GET HEALTH CARE AND HEALTH INSURANCE.
Are you for that?
healthcare costs more than $50

Are you for that?

Exactly my point.
Tax deductions do not cost the government any $. That $ WAS EARNED BY THE TAXPAYER.

It is an issue becuase of the way it was presented.

If it were presented as a way to make those that wish to breast feed more apt to breast feed...fine.

But it was brought up in a way saying it is PREFERRED by our first lady that women breast feed and therefore an incentive to do so should be implemented.

The approach of this administration and first family is what needs to be worked on. They are the first family....not our masters.

Laws should not be implemented to refelct preferences of the first family. They need to understand this.

It is the preferred way.
No one is forcing anyone to do a damn thing.
They never claimed to be your master. It is NOT A LAW.
MTDAN

No..it is not a law...But she is pushing for legislation to accomodate what SHE prefers.
And it is not preferred by all. I know many that prefer to feed formula

Where is she pushing anything? She is saying breastfeeding has some definite benefits.....so do many health experts
If you want formula, nobody is stopping you. She just wants to pull down some barriers to breastfeeding

Nanny State?? :lol::lol::lol:

Are you for that?

Exactly my point.
Tax deductions do not cost the government any $. That $ WAS EARNED BY THE TAXPAYER.
the point is, giving a "tax break" for an item that costs less than $50 is stupid because the intended targets for the break are hardly likely to itemize deductions in the first place, let alone understand how it needs to be listed

LOL, poor poor MaBell Obama..

Mrs. Bachman RIPPED INTO HER.

Michelle ought to keep her friggen nose out of our business. WE DIDN'T ELECT her as CO PRESIDENT.

She's referring to AOL's report that The President will push for funding for Breast pumps.

I mean, I consider Bachmann a straight up loon, but I agree with her 100% here:

Obama will push for tax breaks for breast pumps and other nursing supplies and for more flexibility in the workplace so women can breast feed, according to AOL's Politics Daily. The effort is part of the first lady's campaign to reduce childhood obesity.

"I've given birth to five babies, and I breast-fed every single one," Bachmann said. "To think that government has to go out and buy my breast pump. ... That's the new definition of a nanny state."

We're fucking broke. Inane nonsense like subsidizing breast pumps is probably a good part of the reason.

When I think about the 100's of billions of dollars (NOT) in itemized tax deductions that will end up going to breast pumps, it's outrageous. Yeah, that's going to break us. Meanwhile extending the Bush tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans over the next ten years won't really matter one bit even though the CBO estimated that it would increase the national debt by $1.1 Trillion.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back