BREAKING: United States attacks Syria

you mean this?

look in the story, the headline claims a US source, but an unnamed one
which could mean no one

US special forces launch rare attack inside Syria

DAMASCUS, Syria — U.S. military helicopters launched an extremely rare attack Sunday on Syrian territory close to the border with Iraq, killing eight people in a strike the government in Damascus condemned as "serious aggression."

A U.S. military official said the raid by special forces targeted the network of al-Qaida-linked foreign fighters moving through Syria into Iraq. The Americans have been unable to shut the network down in the area struck because Syria was out of the military's reach.

"We are taking matters into our own hands," the official told The Associated Press in Washington, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the political sensitivity of cross-border raids.

Associated Press reporter Pamela Hess in Washington and Sam F. Ghattas in Beirut contributed to this report.

U.S. confirms strike on Syria that killed eight

U.S. confirms strike on Syria that killed eight - Haaretz - Israel News

thats still an unnamed source

excuse me, but i am very skeptical of an "unnamed source"

Dude, its the AP quoting a military source. The press uses unnamed sources all the time, and generally they are accurate. Especially when it comes to something like this. The AP isn't just going to make something up like this, and Syria isn't going to lodge a formal complaint over an incident that didn't happen.

Its real. I guarantee it.

DAMASCUS, Syria — U.S. military helicopters launched an extremely rare attack Sunday on Syrian territory close to the border with Iraq, killing eight people in a strike the government in Damascus condemned as "serious aggression."

A U.S. military official said the raid by special forces targeted the network of al-Qaida-linked foreign fighters moving through Syria into Iraq. The Americans have been unable to shut the network down in the area struck because Syria was out of the military's reach.

"We are taking matters into our own hands," the official told The Associated Press in Washington, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the political sensitivity of cross-border raids.

Associated Press reporter Pamela Hess in Washington and Sam F. Ghattas in Beirut contributed to this report.

so, what could the ramifications be? syria isn't exactly defenseless.

so, what could the ramifications be? syria isn't exactly defenseless.

They aren't going to attack the US. I think the ramifications are going to be subtle, but perhaps important. Less Syrian cooperation. Perhaps actual help to the foreign fighters going through Syria. Or it could be just that the US has to backdoor them some aid or something as an apology.

We offered Saudi Arabia our troops before Gulf War I, which they reluctantly accepted on the condition that we pull out at the end of Gulf War I. We renegged.
Why is it that a unilateral withdrawal (as opposed to what?) is a dangerous message to send to the world, but an invasion which violated international law wasnt?
At what point is it no longer a slap in face to our troops? When they are there for fifty years?
How is the power of oil in ht balance?
Obama is not pulling out of the Middle East.

So we FORCED Saudia Arabia to let us keep troops in their Country? How?

those are STILL unname sources
sorry, i remain a skeptic

What's frightening is what will Syria's response be?

Syria's been upgrading its military through Russia lately, but most of its technology is still pretty old. 1960s-1970s Soviet Era tanks, artillery, etc. Syria could pose a serious threat to only 150,000 US troops on the ground. If Syria invaded Iraq in response to this, Israel would get involved. If Israel got involved, Iran would get involved. You would have the ultimate Sunni vs. Shi'ia war. I'm sure Turkey would find an excuse to unleash their military on the Kurds like they've been wanting to do. Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Qu'tar, The UAE, would probably remain neutral since Israel would be involved. It could destabalize Afghanistan and Pakistan, which could lead to a conflict with India. If any of the Eastern European countries got involved, Russia would join in. If that happened, Western Europe would get involved. We would essentially have World War 3.

Syria has been holding peace talks with Israel for a while. It could call off the talks and expell the US ambassador to Syria. Syria also controls Lebanon and Iran controls Syria.

My gut reaction tells me this was beyond stupid. If it was Bin Laden that we killed, ok, whatever... but honestly, the US has been making almost daily cross border raids with Pakistan. Pakistan has been ignoring it. If Syria ignores this, they will look weak. Syria just got owned last year by israel when Israel took out a nuclear reactor. And all Syria did was complain. If Syria just complains again, this will encourage further attacks by the US. Assad will look weak if he doesn't do anything and there will be a bounty on his head from the radicals and Syria could turn into another Iran.

What we've done is handed power to Syria waiting for their response. What we've also done is violated the sovreignty of another nation. You can make the excuses for Afghanistan, we had a UN resolution supporting that. You have a problem with Iraq, but right now we're there with the new government's permission. We've had drones go into Pakistan, but this is the first time since Iraq that the US military has had actual soldiers on the ground of another foreign country. You can't just take matters into your own hands here and make cross border raids into Syria.

Dude, its the AP quoting a military source. The press uses unnamed sources all the time, and generally they are accurate. Especially when it comes to something like this. The AP isn't just going to make something up like this, and Syria isn't going to lodge a formal complaint over an incident that didn't happen.

Its real. I guarantee it.

The same AP that helped with the Green hat guy in Lebanon? The same AP that wants Obama to win? Ya they would never make anything up.

The same AP that helped with the Green hat guy in Lebanon? The same AP that wants Obama to win? Ya they would never make anything up.

Right. They want Obama to win, so they falsified a report about the US bombing Syria. Awesome logic there RGS. :clap2:

And what exactly is your complaint about the green helmet guy?

Right. They want Obama to win, so they falsified a report about the US bombing Syria. Awesome logic there RGS. :clap2:

Ohh the fact it is clearly the same person in numerous shots from all over Lebanon with the same rusty ambulance and yet he was reported to be a new guy in every shot. I really loved the rusty holes on top of the ambulance being claimed to be a MISSILE attack.

you're reading far more into what he said than what he actually said

basically, the AP is not to be trusted

So we FORCED Saudia Arabia to let us keep troops in their Country? How?

We decided not to overthrow Saddam in 1991. But we kept troops there to make sure Saddam wouldn't attack the country. This is when bin laden became an enemy of the US instead of its ally.

Ohh the fact it is clearly the same person in numerous shots from all over Lebanon with the same rusty ambulance and yet he was reported to be a new guy in every shot. I really loved the rusty holes on top of the ambulance being claimed to be a MISSILE attack.

He wasn't reported to be a new guy. Sorry but you seem to be listening to the right wing blogosphere a bit too much.

We decided not to overthrow Saddam in 1991. But we kept troops there to make sure Saddam wouldn't attack the country. This is when bin laden became an enemy of the US instead of its ally.
but Saudi still wanted us to stay there
we didnt force them to let us stay

you're reading far more into what he said than what he actually said

basically, the AP is not to be trusted

:lol::lol::lol:

Ok then you can just go to the right-wing blogs instead. Or just distrust everyone and hide in your basement and subsist on beans.

Just curious...do you think FOX news is trustworthy?

He wasn't reported to be a new guy. Sorry but you seem to be listening to the right wing blogosphere a bit too much.
yes, he was reported to be some new attack each time
and he used the same dead bodies each time as well

Forum List

Back