Breaking News: EBT To Shut Down Nationwide Starting November (USDA)

Wtf. Wheres all the hatred coming from?

It comes from watching the rampant abuse. It comes from looking at the carts piled high with steak and name brand foods while mine are filled hamburger and store brands. It comes from seeing this money being spent on Cokes and chips and candy and the like instead of on staples. It comes from watching people pay for their carts of food with food stamps and then buy cigarettes and alcohol with pimp rolls. It comes from being forced to pay for all of it without so much as a thank you. It comes from watching this sense of entitlement, as though they are somehow the rightful recipient of that money I work for.

Im not skeerd. Things happen, and then we get over them. I welcome this. Hopefully the Govrenment will learn that if they are going to pay people to be stupid, that they BETTER BE ABLE TO PAY !

This was the opinion of the right when the wanted the shut down then they said it was the dems fault.

History...

Better to let the EBT system go away and replace it with meals provided at the schools. Let them eat the food before they leave the school. Why send people to the grocery store with a credit card? That's just nutz. Keep track of the "loans" given to them in a debt account. When debt accounts reach certain measures assign regional case workers to investigate.

Last edited:
I agree with you Avatar. Personal charities should be in the business of feeding the needy.

The first step is getting people off the EBT system and on the line of charities set up for the purpose. Let the government withhold funds for a month and let people thinking of alternatives. Establish sanctioned food pantries that would be tax deductions even for those that use short form taxes and let's get started for real change!

I give out lunches to the poor every Monday. The church does it Mon-Thurs from 11am - 1pm and we already are on a tight budget, with my friend and I bringing in extra things to help. There is no way charities are going to be able to make up the difference, in this economy, we are already stretched to the breaking point.

IF.... we weren't taxed to the hilt to cover food stamps, and instead we were allowed to take a credit off out taxes for giving to "Charity Food Services" where people could get basic food according to their family size, our federal budget would be so much lower. People woud gladly give to the Charity food services and get tax credits or adjustments. People on welfare could be hired for these jobs, it would be on the order of American Red Cross, but local divisions in each city.

Baloney, those who will give are already giving. If they don't have money, they give of their time, like I do. Actually, I do both. And you are allowed to deduct your charitable giving from your income taxes already. Heck, Clinton even deducted his used underwear he gave to charity.

Occasional frauds? We just heard of the EBT Computer flaw where the cardholders were whipping around Walmart with carts and carts full of goodies, up to $700 and they were sprinting up to the cash register to check out and coming back for more.

My first thought. These people sounded pretty able bodied to me that they should be able to hold jobs and stop sucking on the government' tit. Whether it be janitorial work or landscaping and mowing lawns...get a job and buy your own groceries!

These people may have quit school and not the most educated, but they don't have to be accountants to earn a paycheck. America has to use some tough love here some time.

Many people on foodstamps ARE working. Our minimum wage no longer provides a living wage and we have thousands of people who are doing odd jobs just trying to make a few extra bucks while sleeping in their tents until the cops decide to mow them down and they have to find another place to live. Where are these jobs they are suppose to be getting???

If they keep looking, they are there. Families may have to live with relatives and more than one adult has to work two jobs, but if that is what it takes, go for it. If you quit school and have kids before you have established a career, it's going to be rough and they better know it before they do it. No sympathy here.

My son graduated from DeVry with a 4.0 and still can't find a job. He's nearly 30 years old. In his defense he is special needs. I have a feeling if our economy were better, he'd have a job; but it's not better, it's about as bad as it can be. I know several people who lost their jobs in their 50's and can't find another one. Moving back home with their parents is seldom an option. That's why so many are homeless. The last time I got a job, it took me more than a year to find one. MORE THAN A YEAR! It had never taken me so long to find a job in my life. My husband was laid off for 3 years and, thank the Lord, I got a good job with health insurance right before he was diagnosed with colon cancer. We would have lost EVERYTHING! As it is, I had to sell my 1969 Ford Mustang convertible. Still miss that car. Then, they laid me off and my job went to India. Thankfully, my husband was hired back at Boeing and he had insurance, or we would have lost everything because I was then diagnosed with breast cancer.

Times are bad and when you are working and still qualify for foodstamps in the richest country in the world, that's a sin. Of course, I'm sure you don't think that the top one percent gaining more than 200% on their income while the middleclass lost ground has anything to do with it, just go get a non existent job, it's your own fault you're jobless. The fact that free trade has sent so many jobs overseas and the Guest worker program has brought so many people into this country to take our jobs here has absolutely nothing to do with it, right? And that's not even including the millions of illegals who take our jobs and keep our wages artificially low.

I have always been employed since i was 16 years old and when i turned 26 i had a grand mal seizure in my workplace. Immediately i was granted worker with disability. Also around that time i had a child and was in and out of work and it became very hard to make ends meet. I was givin the option to accept foodstamps and cash assistance at that time. I did not take the cash as i have a job and was having o problems making rent and all other bills i had. But when it came to feeding my family i fell short of the ability to do so as effectively as is needed. I payed in and now am getting help and i dont see any reason why this should be looked at as a terrible thing. Especially not something that warrants assholes on here spouting off about being lazy and jobless sitting on my ass. So before you know people's situation id advise shutting the fuck up. If EBT goes for broke i wont be rioting or causing any disturbance. If you come on here just to be an asshole go crawl back into the hole from whence you came. No one gives a shit about you or your opinion.

I have a friend that left her husband and came home. She lived with her parents while she looked for a job but she had a son my son's age so she needed daycare which she couldn't pay for and her parents were ill equipped to provide. She went to the state to ask for help, just to pay for daycare while she looked for a job. They offered her all kinds of things including an apartment, foodstamps, money, she said all she wanted was help with daycare until she could get a job. Finally they did provide her with daycare and she had a job within a couple of months. Of course that was back in the 80's when we still had jobs here.

Wtf. Wheres all the hatred coming from?

It comes from watching the rampant abuse. It comes from looking at the carts piled high with steak and name brand foods while mine are filled hamburger and store brands. It comes from seeing this money being spent on Cokes and chips and candy and the like instead of on staples. It comes from watching people pay for their carts of food with food stamps and then buy cigarettes and alcohol with pimp rolls. It comes from being forced to pay for all of it without so much as a thank you. It comes from watching this sense of entitlement, as though they are somehow the rightful recipient of that money I work for.

You are seeing the exception. Go work at a local church that provides a community supper, or free lunches for the homeless. You'll see something entirely different, believe me.

I've always believed that instead of foodstamps, they should provided everyone in the country with a box of food every week. You know, canned chicken, some ramen noodles, canned or dried vegetables, powdered milk, powdered eggs, etc. Enough for 3 nutritious meals each day. Maybe some vitamin supplements. Anybody can get the box, you don't have to take it if you don't want to, but it's there if you need it. Then no more judging about people using foodstamps in the stores. A lot of which is people being jealous about other people getting their food paid for by the tax payer. They would have access to the same food. Plus, it would almost totally eliminate fraud. No more selling foodstamps or trading them for drugs. Who's going to pay money for something they can pick up themselves for free?

I too knew a woman with several kids that would misuse her foodstamps and then end up crying about not having enough to feed the kids at the end of the money. Funny, at the beginning of the month she had plenty of money to send her daughter to Albertson's to buy pre-made sandwiches and potato salad, even frozen pizzas. And her kids got free breakfasts and lunches at school, and truth be told, I fed them dinner 1/2 the time. Meanwhile, I always had to pack my kids lunches. It made me very upset.

I also think we need to make our minimum wage a LIVING wage. Enough to pay for a crappy apartment for one person, all the utilities, transportation to and from work, clothes, food and healthcare. That should be the MINIMUM wage. When my brother was working for minimum wage, he could afford his own apartment, buy a car on payments and take college courses in the evening. That is no longer the case, and it should be. They should make enough to be able to improve themselves instead of work like slaves just to stay alive and keep a roof over their head that they share with 2 other people.

Yeah, it will be worth a few million kids going unfed at night just to see those assholes who bought GTA 5 with their EBT whining.

If its about the cheeeeeeeeeldrin, then why do the schools have to feed them too? Some schools are providing 3 meals a day.

And food stamps for the family.
There is little difference in the cost of feeding kids at school on the free and reduced lunch program versus the EBT card. However, not having hungry kids in the classroom makes a big different in student progress.

Last edited:
I have always been employed since i was 16 years old and when i turned 26 i had a grand mal seizure in my workplace. Immediately i was granted worker with disability. Also around that time i had a child and was in and out of work and it became very hard to make ends meet. I was givin the option to accept foodstamps and cash assistance at that time. I did not take the cash as i have a job and was having o problems making rent and all other bills i had. But when it came to feeding my family i fell short of the ability to do so as effectively as is needed. I payed in and now am getting help and i dont see any reason why this should be looked at as a terrible thing. Especially not something that warrants assholes on here spouting off about being lazy and jobless sitting on my ass. So before you know people's situation id advise shutting the fuck up. If EBT goes for broke i wont be rioting or causing any disturbance. If you come on here just to be an asshole go crawl back into the hole from whence you came. No one gives a shit about you or your opinion.

No one.gives a shit ? Hm. Any way, from what I have seen this drop is about $11.00+-. Not riot worthy in my opinion.
Wrong. There are a lot of people that give shit.

Better to let the EBT system go away and replace it with meals provided at the schools. Let them eat the food before they leave the school. Why send people to the grocery store with a credit card? That's just nutz. Keep track of the "loans" given to them in a debt account. When debt accounts reach certain measures assign regional case workers to investigate.
That's not practically. Kids need 3 meals a day every day not just on school days and it does cost a bit more to prepare meals at school than it does at home.

That's not practically. Kids need 3 meals a day every day not just on school days and it does cost a bit more to prepare meals at school than it does at home.

Round here the schools provide meals on weekends too. Costs more to prepare meals in a soup kitchen for a large group than individually? You sure about that? I'm skeptical.

Round here the schools provide meals on weekends too. Costs more to prepare meals in a soup kitchen for a large group than individually? You sure about that? I'm skeptical.

Well, if you are going to replace the EBT cards with the feeding of the children at the schools, I'd say sure, since we are doing both right now anyway. And since some are getting two cards (saying they have "lost" the first and getting replacements cards), using them for manicures, pedicures, cigarettes, drugs, and the like...just saying they aren't all playing by the rules we've heard. Why not?

People are going to die within our inner-cities because of you republicans. There's going to be riots and violence like you can't believe.

You never should of done this.

Gee, I wonder how American colonists conquered the West without food stamps and Obama hellcare.......................... hummmmmmmmmm

... Puritan attitudes and ethics continued to exert an influence on American society. They made a virtue of qualities that made for economic success—self-reliance, frugality, industry, and energy—and through them influenced modern social and economic life. "

People are going to die within our inner-cities because of you republicans. There's going to be riots and violence like you can't believe.

Gee, I wonder how American colonists conquered the West without food stamps and Obama hellcare.......................... hummmmmmmmmm

... Puritan attitudes and ethics continued to exert an influence on American society. They made a virtue of qualities that made for economic success—self-reliance, frugality, industry, and energy—and through them influenced modern social and economic life. "

Something I always found ironic was the Oregon EBT card is called the Oregon Trail card. The original Oregon Trail was made by people walking across a continent to make a better life for themselves and now the term refers to free money to a lot of people who do nothing for themselves.

If only they would die of dysentery...

Something I always found ironic was the Oregon EBT card is called the Oregon Trail card. The original Oregon Trail was made by people walking across a continent to make a better life for themselves and now the term refers to free money to a lot of people who do nothing for themselves.

That's a relief for a second I thought you were gonna mention the Donner Party as a solution to the food problem.

The card should be known as the Parasite Trail Card, instead.

In a "soup kitchen", a lot of the help are volunteers. In a school setting, lunchroom workers are all paid. It may cost less to feed a child in the school lunch room than in a restaurant but it's certainly more expense than mom fixing the meal at home with food acquired via an EBT.

I'm not aware of any public schools that serve meals on weekends. However, Child and Adult Care Food Program provide provide meals both for adults and children. This is not connected with public schools although school lunchrooms may be used in some places. Typical meals are served at adult day care centers, child care centers, outside-school-hours care centers, family and group day care homes, and homeless and emergency shelters.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back