Breaking! Colin Powell dies

Not in my mind. His job as Sec State called for him to operate in support of policy he did not set. I am pretty sure he voiced his views to the dumb Son-ova-Bush, but, once the foreign policy was set for him, he publicly supported as is the job of Secretary of State. Does that relieve him of culpability for using the same cherry-picked intel that had been used by the Executive Branch? NO, and it was not his finest hour, but does not change his accomplishments, acumen and service to our country of his very long successful career as a Military Officer. I would have been proud to have served in one of his commands, and still regard him as a great man and a great soldier and leader of men.
What's not in your mind? You've openly admitted that he lied and he knew he was lying. But you claim that was justified.
I have no interest in debating the question of that war being justified or nor, at least not as a part of this discussion.

He was 84 years old. He had successfully been treated for prostate cancer. He had Parkinsonā€™s disease and a blood cancer which destroys oneā€™s immune system the ability to fight infections.

Yet he will be considered another COVID death.

1634581441703.png

You're right! There's no denying the plan to justify their war and there's no need to pretend that they believed that Iraq possessed those missing WMD's.
I was referring to his role and Schwarzkopf's in Gulf War I. I never supported the Iraq war of
Son-Ova-Bush. He served "zero" in the planning and execution of the second Iraq war (we are still involved in), as Secretary of State, and it was not prosecuted or executed in keeping with what is referred to as the Powell Doctrine. #1, It should not have been prosecuted at all. He did not favor common frequent unnecessary us of military forces. #2, it did not have a clearly defined scope and objective that could be supported long term, by the American people. Not part of Powell Doctrine. #3, It's stated objective fell victim to either the unstated misconceived objective or victim to mission creep during its execution. Mission creep is the hobgoblin of military operations, never, ever a good thing.
True, his early support of that administration is an awfully big "aw shit", but I am a realist, in that a hundred "ata-boys" in one area of responsibility and operation (Military) are not wiped out by one large "aw shit" as his civilian role of Secretary of State, working for Son-Ova-Bush, and I know that Sec States do not set policy, only represent that policy in front of the world, for the president.
He was a great man, and I regret his passing.

No. W lied us into a war. He should be imprisoned at Supermax in solitary.
Iraq war was illegal and breached UN charter, says Annan

GW Bush knew more and was quoted as being dead set regarding getting Saddam Hussein for his prior attempt on Bush Sr.ā€™s life. Cheney? A war monger that influenced a few unfortunately. I am still doubtful about Powell (considering his lengthy military experience and honorable behavior) knowing what and when, but lean on believing his words stated years after the fact. Sure, CP wasnā€™t interested in continuing the stain on his record and would have liked to have been able to remove it, but that wasnā€™t a possibility and he knew it.

We have to remember that this wasnā€™t 2021 but 2001, a huge difference in availability of digital information that Powell couldā€™ve tapped into beyond words from Bush, Cheney, and faulty intel. Hindsight too plays into it.

Last edited:
What's not in your mind? You've openly admitted that he lied and he knew he was lying. But you claim that was justified.
I have no interest in debating the question of that war being justified or nor, at least not as a part of this discussion.
I don't really care what you wish to limit the discussion to and doubt the history books will support your opinion of General Colin Powell. You certainly won't sell it to military Combat Arms Officers or Senior Enlisted, active or retired. You are welcome to your opinion. I just don't share it.

I liked him as did most Americans...
He wasn't really a political creature...he was a soldier first and foremost. He did his job well... even as an officer. His wife hated political life...so did he but he did his job as best he could always. He was what a true leader should be.

I wish those around him could have learned that lesson.
Agreed, and I respected him for those things as well. Iā€™ve read also about his wifeā€™s concern about his safety so she influenced him to not run for president in the 90ā€™s.

Another aspect to CPā€™s pre-entry stance on Iraq- if weā€™re going to go in, go in BIG in numbers to avoid what actually transpired with Shiites/Sunnis outright ability to battle following the death of their dictator. US had too little of a presence to prevent the conflict and resulting deaths. It reminds me of the old saying, ā€œGo big or stay at homeā€ā€¦ There are no true winners in war, but there certainly are no winners when you do something in half-measures as weā€™ve seen many times.

GW Bush knew more and was quoted as being dead set regarding getting Saddam Hussein for his prior attempt on Bush Sr.ā€™s life. Cheney? A war monger that influenced a few unfortunately. I am still doubtful about Powell (considering his lengthy military experience and honorable behavior) knowing what and when, but lean on believing his words stated years after the fact. Sure, CP wasnā€™t interested in continuing the stain on his record and would have liked to have been able to remove it, but that wasnā€™t a possibility and he knew it.

We have to remember that this wasnā€™t 2021 but 2001, a huge difference in availability of digital information that Powell couldā€™ve tapped into beyond words from Bush, Cheney, and faulty intel. Hindsight too plays into it.
Make no mistake. He had access to all the data, from every intell service, among ours and allied services. Also, the internet was alive and well. Much of the intell was available if you knew how and where to look, though certainly not on commercial source sites available today, used for partisan dissemination of news, information and propaganda on a daily basis. Groupthink/group speak among intell assessments and reports is easy to spot, even in different languages.

So how did he get WuFlu if he was vaxxed?
Amazing amazing how ignorant supposedly interested in politics GOP base voters can be so ignorant listening to your crap instead of real news. These vaccines have a 94% effectiveness to start with, that means 6% may get it. One hell of a lot better than 100% like un vaccinated dildos. Plus the version they get is much less dangerous. I caramba change the God damn channel. Read something not from GOP propaganda garbage. Poor America

Agreed, and I respected him for those things as well. Iā€™ve read also about his wifeā€™s concern about his safety so she influenced him to not run for president in the 90ā€™s.

Another aspect to CPā€™s pre-entry stance on Iraq- if weā€™re going to go in, go in BIG in numbers to avoid what actually transpired with Shiites/Sunnis outright ability to battle following the death of their dictator. US had too little of a presence to prevent the conflict and resulting deaths. It reminds me of the old saying, ā€œGo big or stay at homeā€ā€¦ There are no true winners in war, but there certainly are no winners when you do something in half-measures as weā€™ve seen many times.
Stupidest war ever, based on lies. CP was duped by Cheney. Biggest swine ever.

You know it was illegal Allan Dulles III.
Prayers up for Colin Powell's family, coworkers and many friends in life. Thanks for the stellar life you lived, General Powell and for the people you led into having worthwhile lives, hopes come true, a good career, and the American dream itself. Your influence will go on in the hearts of young men and women in the armed services who came to follow your example.

Forum List

Back