Break up Facebook

You prove you dont understand the issue or the growing threat

What's the threat? Is it your assertion that conservatives aren't smart enough to stay informed about the issues without Twitter and Facebook?
The threat is a huge power using that power to suppress free speech or speech it doesn't like, yet all the while providing paths or platforms to those for whom it does like. Otherwise taking a side even if the side taken might not be the right side in accordance with the majority of citizens in this country or even within their user base.
I am glad you supported the baker having to make the cake.

You prove you dont understand the issue or the growing threat

What's the threat? Is it your assertion that conservatives aren't smart enough to stay informed about the issues without Twitter and Facebook?
The threat is a huge power using that power to suppress free speech or speech it doesn't like, yet all the while providing paths or platforms to those for whom it does like. Otherwise taking a side even if the side taken might not be the right side in accordance with the majority of citizens in this country or even within their user base.
I am glad you supported the baker having to make the cake.
Are you drinking again ? Don't be applying anything to me that I haven't said or had joined a discussion on.

Breaking up Facebook is not going to solve the problem. The issues are protecting:

- ownership of one's personal data

- freedom of speech / civil rights given that the internet platforms function as public accomodations. (If a restaurant can be forced to serve a meal as a civil right, the platforms should not be able to censor lawful speech).

Smaller platforms can still violate both of these.

This is just a necessity as these two companies have legal protections provided by law, so they should have to be broken up to provide a competitive forum.

Unless they are receiving government funds the gov has no business doing anything to them unless they are breaking the law. If that goes down, then freedom truly is lost. The answer to this is for others to start their own social media forums and do it like they want too. And, on the subject of free speech, you sure as hell can shout fire in a crowded theater, but there better be a fire.

The platforms are increasingly violating the civil rights (freedom of speech) of individuals. Just because they are private businesses and the service is deemed "free" (it's not - people pay for it by providing content and personal data), that does not mean civil rights are voided.

You don't need politics to understand the potential damage of a Monopoly or a near Monopoly. The most dangerous men in world History were the Robber Barons of the Gilded age.

Jo

Start your own competitor.

I hear what you're saying and I agree.
That however does not alleviate the pressure from the already dominant Giants.
They will be broken up...and it will be a bipartisan decision not based on jealousy but based on the already numerous
Crimes that all of them have committed.

Jo

They are not monopolies because they are not essential services, and there are competitors. While a lot of people do use more than one social media platform there are people who have stopped using Facebook to use Instagram. Or stopped using Instagram to use Snapchat. Facebook and Twitter are not services unto themselves. They are competing social media platforms.
In some ways they...bet there isn't a govt agency in US that doesn't use them......Instagram is nowhere near what facebook is as an information platform

Instagram's policies don't appear to be nearly as sporadic as FB. The scariest thing about Facebook is its ownership construct.
I'm beginning to question whether or not Zuckerberg is still even sane. He has absolutely no respect for business laws; and is apparently as pragmatic anf ruthless as a female praying mantis.

Jo

Zuckerborg is not insane. He's corrupt and amoral.

Start your own competitor.

They will be broken up...and it will be a bipartisan decision not based on jealousy but based on the already numerous

Jo

They are not monopolies because they are not essential services, and there are competitors. While a lot of people do use more than one social media platform there are people who have stopped using Facebook to use Instagram. Or stopped using Instagram to use Snapchat. Facebook and Twitter are not services unto themselves. They are competing social media platforms.
In some ways they...bet there isn't a govt agency in US that doesn't use them......Instagram is nowhere near what facebook is as an information platform

Instagram's policies don't appear to be nearly as sporadic as FB. The scariest thing about Facebook is its ownership construct.
I'm beginning to question whether or not Zuckerberg is still even sane. He has absolutely no respect for business laws; and is apparently as pragmatic anf ruthless as a female praying mantis.

Jo

how so?

~S~

Jo

Jo

how so?

~S~

Try watching his Congressional testimony and then read up on how Facebook has violated privacy regulations.

Deplatforming the Platformers: Why Antitrust Legislation Is the Way to Go. Though existing legislation will do the job; we just need antitrust enforcement.
about a year or so ago i started making references into what would happen with Facebook and other "too big" social media companies. while i agree and am on the "if you don't like it, don't use it" mantra, i also said our government and mindset just doesn't work that way. i watched MS go from the total domination they had to their being called a monopoly despite the fact you did have options. MS, apple, linux. but the #'s were with MS so they become the focus and battleground and suddenly it's a whole new game.

social media is now most certainly in that mix. they drive a lot of our economy, our interactions, and if i just stopped using facebook for example, i'd lose touch with many people i do in fact consider friends. that's about the only reason i stay on facebook. find out what is happening and where the gang is going this weekend and being able to talk to a bulk of my friends at once about my own life.

i've just learned not to talk politics on there cause it's not worth the backlash. i do think SJW's are a dying breed and no one would give much of a shit about hambre today, for example. complete rage can only go so long before you just tire out and move on.

people are moving on these days.

what would you do with them? break up instagram / facebook / whatever? to what end? they can still talk to each other via api's as they want to so the integration wouldn't really end any time soon. people use them for different reasons or just stick to 1 anyway.

people just need to learn to stop letting stupid headlines lead them around and to actually study a topic before making up their mind about it.

Deplatforming the Platformers: Why Antitrust Legislation Is the Way to Go. Though existing legislation will do the job; we just need antitrust enforcement.
about a year or so ago i started making references into what would happen with Facebook and other "too big" social media companies. while i agree and am on the "if you don't like it, don't use it" mantra, i also said our government and mindset just doesn't work that way. i watched MS go from the total domination they had to their being called a monopoly despite the fact you did have options. MS, apple, linux. but the #'s were with MS so they become the focus and battleground and suddenly it's a whole new game.

social media is now most certainly in that mix. they drive a lot of our economy, our interactions, and if i just stopped using facebook for example, i'd lose touch with many people i do in fact consider friends. that's about the only reason i stay on facebook. find out what is happening and where the gang is going this weekend and being able to talk to a bulk of my friends at once about my own life.

i've just learned not to talk politics on there cause it's not worth the backlash. i do think SJW's are a dying breed and no one would give much of a shit about hambre today, for example. complete rage can only go so long before you just tire out and move on.

what would you do with them? break up instagram / facebook / whatever? to what end? they can still talk to each other via api's as they want to so the integration wouldn't really end any time soon. people use them for different reasons or just stick to 1 anyway.

people just need to learn to stop letting stupid headlines lead them around and to actually study a topic before making up their mind about it.

If you ever stopped using Facebook you could still correspond with anyone via e mail, phone, or even another social media platform

If you ever stopped using Facebook you could still correspond with anyone via e mail, phone, or even another social media platform
and tell me how much more difficult that would be?

i can spend 10 minutes on facebook and see what 4-5 different groups of people are doing easily that i'd never see otherwise. also, many people post their local events on fb - if i'm not there, what other platform also has these i could use that wasn't facebook related?

i already said i could stop and what i'd miss, your reply doesn't change what i'd miss.

i can spend 10 minutes on facebook and see what 4-5 different groups of people are doing easily that i'd never see otherwise. also, many people post their local events on fb - if i'm not there, what other platform also has these i could use that wasn't facebook related?

i already said i could stop and what i'd miss, your reply doesn't change what i'd miss.

About as difficult as it was before Facebook.

IOW not that difficult.

There is no need to regulate Facebook any more than there is a need to regulate your local newspaper.

About as difficult as it was before Facebook.

IOW not that difficult.

There is no need to regulate Facebook any more than there is a need to regulate your local newspaper.
local newspapers are pretty much gone. and while they may say "xyz show is at 123 club tonight" it won't tell me which of my friends are going. now i need to call many people at once to find out what i can do in a minute on FB.

so yes, does serve a purpose. never said it didn't. i also said it should be left alone to do what they want to do - so don't preach that my way. all i'm saying is regardless of how people may feel, companies tend to reach a certain level of growth that eventually makes them a target. FB playing into the left vs right war is their own downfall eventually but eventually they were going to get hacked up anyway.

This is just a necessity as these two companies have legal protections provided by law, so they should have to be broken up to provide a competitive forum.

Riiiight. We should drink to cure our hangover. Wake up. If Facebook is getting special legal protections, fix that problem. Take those protections away. Don't double down on stupid.

If only there was some way for one to start their own social media platform. If only...

Yeah, I've brought that up many times. Nothing is stopping a few conservative techie nerds from creating their own social media platform for the right, or better yet, for everyone without engaging in bias of any kind and give FB and Twitter a run for their money.

It’s far easier to get the government involved than it is to put in the time, effort, and, capital. I am amazed to see so many suddenly believe they have a right to a social media account.

Again, Trumpsters aren't conservatives. They're not libertarians. They're big government fascists. Period.

Forum List

Back