Break up Facebook

star-icon-vector-classic-rank-260nw-429574270.jpg
I want real competition in these services and no monopoly.

If you think that is pro-big government, so be it.

They aren't a monopoly

Depends....

They don't have to be technically a perfect Monopoly to fall under the guidelines of the government's antitrust regulations.

For instance recently Amazon was clandestinely buying up salespace on eBay.
It was strictly an illegal move being done through a dummy corporation. Customers who visited that sale space were redirected to Amazon. That's exactly the kind of thing of the attorney general could use to indicate to a federal judge that Amazon is a de facto Monopoly even if it's not a perfect Monopoly.

Jo
Nonsense.

The internet is virtually infinite – ample opportunities for all to be heard.

Rightists want FB ‘broken up’ solely because they incorrectly perceive the platform to be ‘anti-conservative.’

Such hypocrisy from conservatives comes as no surprise.
Shouldn't be anti-anything that is ethical and morally fit to be part of a properly operated platform. Otherwise no politic's should be allowed if can't handle being fair and decent when promoting anything that is political. The rule should be made.
people do in fact "pay" for the services from facebook. our activity and "surfing value" to advertisers keeps them alive and well. so when they are able to utilize my information for their profit then yes, i feel i have a stake in the game.

that stake it stay or go.

i saw a usa.life site pop up the other day (or something like that) and i joined because it said it was an upcoming facebook alternative. hey - i WANT to find a replacement. i just value my online friends more than i hate facebook at this point.

but that could change. :)

usa.life was HUGE IN YOUR FACE God action, so i left. i got no use for that extreme either. we seem to have forgotten the middleground *most* of us live in while we work through how much of an asshole we can be to each other.

whether its right or wrong, facebook is going to get the shit kicked out of it soon enough. when microsoft got told what to do they cooperated and never rubbed faces in things or silenced customers or views. they just went for the $ at every possible turn and were ruthless about it.

facebook does cater to the left HARD and twists the news to that direction. if they are in fact a "media" outlet then rules that media has to follow *are* going to come into play but given the state of our media these days, what *are* those rules?

i think we could resolve this by simply allowing tagging of posts. if i post something political, mark it political and people can filter out what they want to come or get blocked from their feed. but facebook would have to view it as a problem before they look for a solution and given they created this problem, i don't see them inclined to fix it.

Key point:

we seem to have forgotten the middleground

Last edited:
View attachment 260839
They aren't a monopoly

Depends....

They don't have to be technically a perfect Monopoly to fall under the guidelines of the government's antitrust regulations.

For instance recently Amazon was clandestinely buying up salespace on eBay.
It was strictly an illegal move being done through a dummy corporation. Customers who visited that sale space were redirected to Amazon. That's exactly the kind of thing of the attorney general could use to indicate to a federal judge that Amazon is a de facto Monopoly even if it's not a perfect Monopoly.

Jo
Nonsense.

The internet is virtually infinite – ample opportunities for all to be heard.

Rightists want FB ‘broken up’ solely because they incorrectly perceive the platform to be ‘anti-conservative.’

Such hypocrisy from conservatives comes as no surprise.
Shouldn't be anti-anything that is ethical and morally fit to be part of a properly operated platform. Otherwise no politic's should be allowed if can't handle being fair and decent when promoting anything that is political. The rule should be made.
people do in fact "pay" for the services from facebook. our activity and "surfing value" to advertisers keeps them alive and well. so when they are able to utilize my information for their profit then yes, i feel i have a stake in the game.

that stake it stay or go.

i saw a usa.life site pop up the other day (or something like that) and i joined because it said it was an upcoming facebook alternative. hey - i WANT to find a replacement. i just value my online friends more than i hate facebook at this point.

but that could change. :)

usa.life was HUGE IN YOUR FACE God action, so i left. i got no use for that extreme either. we seem to have forgotten the middleground *most* of us live in while we work through how much of an asshole we can be to each other.

whether its right or wrong, facebook is going to get the shit kicked out of it soon enough. when microsoft got told what to do they cooperated and never rubbed faces in things or silenced customers or views. they just went for the $ at every possible turn and were ruthless about it.

facebook does cater to the left HARD and twists the news to that direction. if they are in fact a "media" outlet then rules that media has to follow *are* going to come into play but given the state of our media these days, what *are* those rules?

i think we could resolve this by simply allowing tagging of posts. if i post something political, mark it political and people can filter out what they want to come or get blocked from their feed. but facebook would have to view it as a problem before they look for a solution and given they created this problem, i don't see them inclined to fix it.

Key point:

we seem to have forgotten the middleground
Forgotten or had it stolen by the Democrats ??

A founder of Facebook says the government should break up Facebook:

Opinion | It’s Time to Break Up Facebook
BLOWS AGAINST THE EMPIRE: CROSSFIT, INC. SUSPENDS USE OF FACEBOOK AND ASSOCIATED PROPERTIES.

Recently, Facebook deleted without warning or explanation the Banting7DayMealPlan user group. The group has 1.65 million users who post testimonials and other information regarding the efficacy of a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet. While the site has subsequently been reinstated (also without warning or explanation), Facebook’s action should give any serious person reason to pause, especially those of us engaged in activities contrary to prevailing opinion.

Facebook and its properties host and oversee a significant share of the marketplace of public thought. To millions of individuals and communities across the world, Facebook and its properties remain the platforms where ideas and information are exchanged. Facebook thus serves as a de facto authority over the public square, arbitrating a worldwide exchange of information as well as overseeing the security of the individuals and communities who entrust their ideas, work, and private data to this platform. This mandates a certain responsibility and assurance of good faith, transparency, and due process.

CrossFit, Inc., as a voluntary user of and contributor to this marketplace, can and must remove itself from this particular manifestation of the public square when it becomes clear that such responsibilities are betrayed or reneged upon to the detriment of our community. Common decency demands that we do so.​

Boom.

"IOW, I'm a Trump supporter and Pretend Conservative, and I believe Big Gubmint should interfere in individual liberty and freedom because I don't like what that company is doing."

Awesome ethics.

Mark Zuckerberg Says Breakup of Facebook Would Make it Harder to Crack Down on Conservative Pages

Nationalize the whole goddamned internet. Trump requires it!
Did we have to nationalize restaurants to get them to serve everyone? Why no, Drama queen.

"IOW, I'm a Trump supporter and Pretend Conservative, and I believe Big Gubmint should interfere in individual liberty and freedom because I don't like what that company is doing."

Awesome ethics.

Mark Zuckerberg Says Breakup of Facebook Would Make it Harder to Crack Down on Conservative Pages

Did we have to nationalize restaurants to get them to serve everyone? Why no, Drama queen.

For the record: To the "Bake the Cake" contingent - the above rationalization is exactly what I told you would happen. This is what happens when you give government the power to regulate business in the name of social engineering.

Awesome ethics.

For the record: To the "Bake the Cake" contingent - the above rationalization is exactly what I told you would happen. This is what happens when you give government the power to regulate business in the name of social engineering.
Equal access is "social engineering"? Are you a segregationist?

[
Another "small" government conservative looking to Big Brother government to fix your problem because the free market isn't working in your favor.

Hi

Many times it's not the government OR the big mean corporation that's the real problem.
Sometimes it's simply widespread stupidity and abject apathy concerning their freedom among consumers and lazy people who care more about their convenience and entertainment than about equity. Remember, this is the Me! Me! Me! era.

They still could "choose" not to use Facebook....or Google. Whatta concept !

Another "small" government conservative looking to Big Brother government to fix your problem because the free market isn't working in your favor.

Many times it's not the government OR the big mean corporation that's the real problem.

"Big government is great when we're in charge!"

But THAT's the problem.....one day you are, the next day you aren't.
Personally, I'd prefer NO government...and let human nature take it's "natural" course.
The strong will survive. That'd be me ;)

[

Hi

Sometimes it's simply widespread stupidity and abject apathy concerning their freedom among consumers and lazy people who care more about their convenience and entertainment than about equity. Remember, this is the Me! Me! Me! era.

They still could "choose" not to use Facebook....or Google. Whatta concept !
Sure, and when Blacks were regulated to the Back of The Bus you can claim that they don't have to ride the bus. The Left hates civil rights, because they want to be able to shun and silence people that disagree with them.

Sure, and when Blacks were regulated to the Back of The Bus you can claim that they don't have to ride the bus. The Left hates civil rights, because they want to be able to shun and silence people that disagree with them.

Wait....I thought we were talking about MODERN times and events ?

Also, you think I'm a lefty? roflmao

Google failed to become another Facebook or Amazon or Uber.
Facebook failed to become another Google or Amazon.
Amazon is not another Google or Facebook or Uber.
What’s the problem?
Many smaller companies would love to be bought out by a larger entity.

Forum List

Back