Brake problem with 2007 Pacifica

Preacher

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2015
Georgia Mountains
So bought a Pacifica in April noticed then it needed rotors on the back as they were worn and grooved. Had them replaced Saturday and the brakes STILL squeal when braking. Not all the time but its after they seem to warm up, both me and the guy that replaced them looked at brakes and they are plenty thick still only issue I saw was on the upper part of the pads on both sides the pads are worn more at the very top than the rest of the pad is. I assume this is because of the previous owner not replacing rotors when they replaced the pads. What else can I check to fix the sound, and should I just let brakes become accustomed to the new rotors and it will wear the brakes back in the right way or do I need to replace the brakes on the back?

So bought a Pacifica in April noticed then it needed rotors on the back as they were worn and grooved. Had them replaced Saturday and the brakes STILL squeal when braking. Not all the time but its after they seem to warm up, both me and the guy that replaced them looked at brakes and they are plenty thick still only issue I saw was on the upper part of the pads on both sides the pads are worn more at the very top than the rest of the pad is. I assume this is because of the previous owner not replacing rotors when they replaced the pads. What else can I check to fix the sound, and should I just let brakes become accustomed to the new rotors and it will wear the brakes back in the right way or do I need to replace the brakes on the back?
Usually the pads taper off at the ends. Typically I use anti squeal lubricant on connections of metal between caliper and pads being careful not to get it on braking surface, but sometimes they still make noise. As long as everything is bolted together correctly, really nothing to worry about and may settle down after some wear. I always replace rotors with every brake pad job, I never turn them, and I always insist on doing my own brakes.
If pads are wearing funny, it may be that caliper piston is sticking.

Sometimes replacement pads come with a sort of a peal and sick gasket/shim that is supposed to be stuck on the back of the pad to prevent the rotor from ringing when the brakes are applied.
brake pad shim.JPG

Last edited:
I have seen pads squeal that don't match the rotors. It might go away, but pads are cheap & I always get free lifetime replacements, so I always just replace them. my wife wears out 3 sets of pads per rotor.

I have seen pads squeal that don't match the rotors. It might go away, but pads are cheap & I always get free lifetime replacements, so I always just replace them. my wife wears out 3 sets of pads per rotor.
My wife is hard on brakes, warping rotors after 60,000 miles. Damn NASCAR driver is how she rolls. I have rolled over 100,000 and still my brakes are fine. Plenty of pad and rotors still in good shape.

Several years ago a place I worked replaced the pads on a Honda SUV- they squealed from day one- she came back- we replaced them with pads from Honda and the squeal went away-

Usually the pads taper off at the ends. Typically I use anti squeal lubricant on connections of metal between caliper and pads being careful not to get it on braking surface, but sometimes they still make noise. As long as everything is bolted together correctly, really nothing to worry about and may settle down after some wear. I always replace rotors with every brake pad job, I never turn them, and I always insist on doing my own brakes.
Ah, Okay, the guy I had replace them is a mechanic but does side jobs to make more money but we didn't use any brake cleaner etc and the old rotors were quite grooved on both sides of the car and I can see where the brakes are rubbing into them and making dust come off of them, I am gonna try and take tires off tomorrow and spray some brake cleaner on them see if that does anything at all. Wife says they need to wear in and its doing it less than it used to so maybe that's right

Ah, Okay, the guy I had replace them is a mechanic but does side jobs to make more money but we didn't use any brake cleaner etc and the old rotors were quite grooved on both sides of the car and I can see where the brakes are rubbing into them and making dust come off of them, I am gonna try and take tires off tomorrow and spray some brake cleaner on them see if that does anything at all. Wife says they need to wear in and its doing it less than it used to so maybe that's right
You might consider taking it to a professional- just sayin

My wife is hard on brakes, warping rotors after 60,000 miles. Damn NASCAR driver is how she rolls. I have rolled over 100,000 and still my brakes are fine. Plenty of pad and rotors still in good shape.
Yup, my wife never gets more than 20k mile on a set of pads. I always have the new warrantied pads on the shelf ready. If I ever pull the wheel & see any pads under 50%, I replace them right then. She got excited one day & did some extra hard driving & warped the newer rotors. I made her live with the pulsing breaks for a few months to embarrass her as she drove her friends around. That stopped her from warping rotors.

I am assuming that the old rotors are still on? That might be part of it, if they are grooved. Many places will turn them for a small price and they are within tolerances. Hard part is they are usually rusted to hub and end up getting destroyed pounding them off.
My brakes last so long I just always replace the rotors with the pads as I have heavy duty brakes with the tow package. A tip when installing new rotors, is anti seize compound brushed on the hub and they come off like butter next time.

Based on what you said, I assume you replaced just the rotor, and not the pads.
Short answer is, you need to replace the pads, and you need to do this immediately.

If the rotor had grooves, then the pads likely have grooves. So now the old pads are going to dig grooves the new rotors you put on there.

If either of them has clear grooves in them, you need to replace pads and rotors together.

I would replace your old pads as quickly as possible, before they start digging groves into the new rotors.

As far as squeaking, couple of things.

First, if you can, find someone who works on these cars specifically to verify there is no model specific problem. Just every once in a while, you run across a model that has a problem specific to that car, that needs a specific fix. I had a Chevy Lumina years ago, and the back rear wheel brakes were terrible, and I was told... get used to it. Don't waste money trying to make it perfect. Likely saved me tons of money.

Second, the number one error people make when replacing brakes, is saving money on the brake pads. Do not buy cheap brake pads. Buy the expensive ones, or get used to the noise.

My personal recommendation, is Raybestos or ACDelco. You want the Ceramic pads, or better.

Screenshot_2020-07-28 Raybestos Brakes Disc Brake Pad Set-EHT699H - The Home Depot.png

Good pads will have tapers at the edge (red oval). Not a pad that is flat to the rotor. You also want the noise shims (at the bottom the metal shims).

Stay away from cheap semi-metalic pads. They are much cheaper, and routinely loud and noisy.

If you don't get the shims, then you had better get Disc Brake Quiet, which is typically a squeeze bottle, or spray on glue that you put on the back of the pads, to put against the brake calipers. Of course do not get any of that on the pad itself, or the rotors.

If you do, you need to extremely carefully clean it off, and clean the pad and rotor, until you are absolutely sure it is gone. But generally... don't get it on the rotor or pads to begin with. Back of the pad only.

I've even seen people who used both the shim, and the brake quiet glue.

The reason you need to do this, is because sometimes (read many times. So many they sell shims and spray glue) the pad will vibrate, causing a squeal.

The shim and brake quiet glue, prevents the pads from shaking, which prevents squealing.

Lastly, and I mention this because you said it was a 2007 car: Check your brake calipers very carefully. Specifically the boot around the piston. If you see any significant leakage, or holes in the boot, have it replaced.

The smallest amount of brake fluid from a leaking caliper, will drive you insane, trying to stop if from squeaking.

Here's why I say this. You specifically said that it started squeaking more, when the brakes were warmed up.

That's important. If some brake fluid leaked onto the pads (you replaced the rotor), that brake fluid seeps into the pads.

When it's cold, everything is fine. But when it warms up... that brake fluid in the pads gets warmed up too, and starts seeping through the pad.... resulting in squeaking.

Replacing the pads may fix that in the short term, unless brake fluid is leaking, and then eventually it will get in the pads, and you'll have this problem again.

Now just to recap... it could still be that the old pads, are garbage semi-metalic pads that warm up and make tons of noise. But you don't want to put on nice new expensive pads, and have it be a leaking caliper dripping on it. So make sure. Sure that you are sure, that the caliper boot has no holes, and no significant leaks.

Hopefully that helps.

Short answer is, you need to replace the pads, and you need to do this immediately.

If the rotor had grooves, then the pads likely have grooves. So now the old pads are going to dig grooves the new rotors you put on there.

If either of them has clear grooves in them, you need to replace pads and rotors together.

I would replace your old pads as quickly as possible, before they start digging groves into the new rotors.

First, if you can, find someone who works on these cars specifically to verify there is no model specific problem. Just every once in a while, you run across a model that has a problem specific to that car, that needs a specific fix. I had a Chevy Lumina years ago, and the back rear wheel brakes were terrible, and I was told... get used to it. Don't waste money trying to make it perfect. Likely saved me tons of money.

Second, the number one error people make when replacing brakes, is saving money on the brake pads. Do not buy cheap brake pads. Buy the expensive ones, or get used to the noise.

My personal recommendation, is Raybestos or ACDelco. You want the Ceramic pads, or better.

View attachment 368460

Good pads will have tapers at the edge (red oval). Not a pad that is flat to the rotor. You also want the noise shims (at the bottom the metal shims).

Stay away from cheap semi-metalic pads. They are much cheaper, and routinely loud and noisy.

If you don't get the shims, then you had better get Disc Brake Quiet, which is typically a squeeze bottle, or spray on glue that you put on the back of the pads, to put against the brake calipers. Of course do not get any of that on the pad itself, or the rotors.

If you do, you need to extremely carefully clean it off, and clean the pad and rotor, until you are absolutely sure it is gone. But generally... don't get it on the rotor or pads to begin with. Back of the pad only.

The reason you need to do this, is because sometimes (read many times. So many they sell shims and spray glue) the pad will vibrate, causing a squeal.

The shim and brake quiet glue, prevents the pads from shaking, which prevents squealing.

Lastly, and I mention this because you said it was a 2007 car: Check your brake calipers very carefully. Specifically the boot around the piston. If you see any significant leakage, or holes in the boot, have it replaced.

The smallest amount of brake fluid from a leaking caliper, will drive you insane, trying to stop if from squeaking.

Here's why I say this. You specifically said that it started squeaking more, when the brakes were warmed up.

That's important. If some brake fluid leaked onto the pads (you replaced the rotor), that brake fluid seeps into the pads.

When it's cold, everything is fine. But when it warms up... that brake fluid in the pads gets warmed up too, and starts seeping through the pad.... resulting in squeaking.

Replacing the pads may fix that in the short term, unless brake fluid is leaking, and then eventually it will get in the pads, and you'll have this problem again.

Now just to recap... it could still be that the old pads, are garbage semi-metalic pads that warm up and make tons of noise. But you don't want to put on nice new expensive pads, and have it be a leaking caliper dripping on it. So make sure. Sure that you are sure, that the caliper boot has no holes, and no significant leaks.

Hopefully that helps.
:th_thgoodpost:
Another tip people forget.

I am assuming that the old rotors are still on? That might be part of it, if they are grooved. Many places will turn them for a small price and they are within tolerances. Hard part is they are usually rusted to hub and end up getting destroyed pounding them off.
My brakes last so long I just always replace the rotors with the pads as I have heavy duty brakes with the tow package. A tip when installing new rotors, is anti seize compound brushed on the hub and they come off like butter next time.
No replaced the rotors with brand new ones. The old ones were grooved and you could feel the lip on the outside pretty well.

View attachment 368460

Hopefully that helps.
The pads on there look exactly like those you posted actually. I didn't realize the pads could look like that. Thanks for the information

You didnt get the rotors faced?

The new ones? No. I took them out of box I got from store and had guy put them on.

The new ones? No. I took them out of box I got from store and had guy put them on.

I'm missing something here.
You bought new rotors and pads correct?
I think your questioning whether the old owner not replacing pads threw me.
That doesnt make any difference at all.
I agree with some here,you need to either put the sticker or the goo on the backside of the pad.

I'm missing something here.
You bought new rotors and pads correct?
I think your questioning whether the old owner not replacing pads threw me.
That doesnt make any difference at all.
I agree with some here,you need to either put the sticker or the goo on the backside of the pad.
Just bought new rotors. Brakes looked good to me really thick still and he had told me he had replaced the brakes before I bought it.

Forum List

Back