Brake problem with 2007 Pacifica

So bought a Pacifica in April noticed then it needed rotors on the back as they were worn and grooved. Had them replaced Saturday and the brakes STILL squeal when braking. Not all the time but its after they seem to warm up, both me and the guy that replaced them looked at brakes and they are plenty thick still only issue I saw was on the upper part of the pads on both sides the pads are worn more at the very top than the rest of the pad is. I assume this is because of the previous owner not replacing rotors when they replaced the pads. What else can I check to fix the sound, and should I just let brakes become accustomed to the new rotors and it will wear the brakes back in the right way or do I need to replace the brakes on the back?
Usually the pads taper off at the ends. Typically I use anti squeal lubricant on connections of metal between caliper and pads being careful not to get it on braking surface, but sometimes they still make noise. As long as everything is bolted together correctly, really nothing to worry about and may settle down after some wear. I always replace rotors with every brake pad job, I never turn them, and I always insist on doing my own brakes.
If pads are wearing funny, it may be that caliper piston is sticking.
Ah, Okay, the guy I had replace them is a mechanic but does side jobs to make more money but we didn't use any brake cleaner etc and the old rotors were quite grooved on both sides of the car and I can see where the brakes are rubbing into them and making dust come off of them, I am gonna try and take tires off tomorrow and spray some brake cleaner on them see if that does anything at all. Wife says they need to wear in and its doing it less than it used to so maybe that's right

You didnt get the rotors faced?
The new ones? No. I took them out of box I got from store and had guy put them on.

I'm missing something here.
You bought new rotors and pads correct?
I think your questioning whether the old owner not replacing pads threw me.
That doesnt make any difference at all.
I agree with some here,you need to either put the sticker or the goo on the backside of the pad.
Just bought new rotors. Brakes looked good to me really thick still and he had told me he had replaced the brakes before I bought it.

So you didnt buy new pads?
That explains it.
Never replace one or the other,replace em both if you want em to work right immediately.
Pads are cheap.

So bought a Pacifica in April noticed then it needed rotors on the back as they were worn and grooved. Had them replaced Saturday and the brakes STILL squeal when braking. Not all the time but its after they seem to warm up, both me and the guy that replaced them looked at brakes and they are plenty thick still only issue I saw was on the upper part of the pads on both sides the pads are worn more at the very top than the rest of the pad is. I assume this is because of the previous owner not replacing rotors when they replaced the pads. What else can I check to fix the sound, and should I just let brakes become accustomed to the new rotors and it will wear the brakes back in the right way or do I need to replace the brakes on the back?
Usually the pads taper off at the ends. Typically I use anti squeal lubricant on connections of metal between caliper and pads being careful not to get it on braking surface, but sometimes they still make noise. As long as everything is bolted together correctly, really nothing to worry about and may settle down after some wear. I always replace rotors with every brake pad job, I never turn them, and I always insist on doing my own brakes.
Ah, Okay, the guy I had replace them is a mechanic but does side jobs to make more money but we didn't use any brake cleaner etc and the old rotors were quite grooved on both sides of the car and I can see where the brakes are rubbing into them and making dust come off of them, I am gonna try and take tires off tomorrow and spray some brake cleaner on them see if that does anything at all. Wife says they need to wear in and its doing it less than it used to so maybe that's right

The new ones? No. I took them out of box I got from store and had guy put them on.

I agree with some here,you need to either put the sticker or the goo on the backside of the pad.
Just bought new rotors. Brakes looked good to me really thick still and he had told me he had replaced the brakes before I bought it.

He didnt replace the brakes he replaced the pads. Probably because the rotors were so worn out they couldnt be faced off.
He made up for the worn out rotors by replacing the pads in other words.
Major No,No.

Dont know if you know how it works so here ya go.
Todays brake rotors are good to be faced off one time before they have to be replaced. Once they've been faced thats it,when they wear out after that they have to be replaced.
My guess is the rotors had already been faced once or they committed the cardinal sin of letting the pads wear out until the rivets grooved the rotor past the point of their tolerance.

That explains it.
Never replace one or the other,replace em both if you want em to work right immediately.
Pads are cheap.
Yep. I went and got new pads this morning and have spent most of the day cussing , throwing tools, banging knuckles etc. I think last person who did the brakes didn't put pads on correctly because the drivers side was on one direction and the other side was upside down, on top of that I have broken 3 of the 4 bolts holding the caliper on already replaced 2 but store didn't have another package and I was driving my suburban with only first gear and no tag so I just came home hoping I wouldn't break other side. I did of course and got it all off and got pads on but having a hell of a time getting the whole thing back on the rotor so having someone to come make sure I did this correctly or if I screwed it all up. Oh and the pads were grooved on the inside but the outside was fine so that explains the noise.

I
If they didn't dress the rotors, ie skim cut them smooth, that was a halfassed brake job indeed and not worth however little you paid. Even when I did my own brakes I took the rotors to a shop to be turned and skim cut.

That explains it.
Pads are cheap.
Yep. I went and got new pads this morning and have spent most of the day cussing , throwing tools, banging knuckles etc. I think last person who did the brakes didn't put pads on correctly because the drivers side was on one direction and the other side was upside down, on top of that I have broken 3 of the 4 bolts holding the caliper on already replaced 2 but store didn't have another package and I was driving my suburban with only first gear and no tag so I just came home hoping I wouldn't break other side. I did of course and got it all off and got pads on but having a hell of a time getting the whole thing back on the rotor so having someone to come make sure I did this correctly or if I screwed it all up. Oh and the pads were grooved on the inside but the outside was fine so that explains the noise.

A disc brake job is easy.
You will need a C-clamp to compress the pistons in the caliper. Use a socket or something similar that will drop into the hollowed part of the piston so you dont have to screw in the C-clamp so far. This gives you extra time to get it back together before the pistons return to their normal position. Dual piston calipers are a bit more problematic but I doubt you have them on a 2007 Pacifica. If you do have them you just need a second C-clamp.
You need to have everything ready to go back together since once you release the pressure on the piston they'll slowly start to close.
I can do all four wheels in under two hours if I dont take too many beer breaks.

That explains it.
Pads are cheap.

You will need a C-clamp to compress the pistons in the caliper. Use a socket or something similar that will drop into the hollowed part of the piston so you dont have to screw in the C-clamp so far. This gives you extra time to get it back together before the pistons return to their normal position. Dual piston calipers are a bit more problematic but I doubt you have them on a 2007 Pacifica. If you do have them you just need a second C-clamp.
You need to have everything ready to go back together since once you release the pressure on the piston they'll slowly start to close.
I can do all four wheels in under two hours if I dont take too many beer breaks.
I watched how I took everything off but the brake on the driver side was snapped in differently than the brake on the passenger side and since I have NEVER done this myself and I don't have much confidence in doing it I am having a guy come check it out and finish the passenger side. Wish I had checked the damn brakes when guy was hear replacing my rotors he could have done it then.

I
If they didn't dress the rotors, ie skim cut them smooth, that was a halfassed brake job indeed and not worth however little you paid. Even when I did my own brakes I took the rotors to a shop to be turned and skim cut.

My guess is the original rotors had already been faced and were out of tolerance all ready.
So rather than buy new rotors they slapped on new pads to make up the difference.

That explains it.
Pads are cheap.

I watched how I took everything off but the brake on the driver side was snapped in differently than the brake on the passenger side and since I have NEVER done this myself and I don't have much confidence in doing it I am having a guy come check it out and finish the passenger side. Wish I had checked the damn brakes when guy was hear replacing my rotors he could have done it then.

Have you checked Youtube?

That explains it.
Pads are cheap.

I cant believe he didnt recommend new pads!!

That explains it.
Pads are cheap.

Yes, was watching several videos. That's how I recognized at first I had one broke on the wrong side, that tells you how much of a newbie I am at this, didn't realize the brake pads have specific sides.

That explains it.
Pads are cheap.

Yes, was watching several videos. That's how I recognized at first I had one broke on the wrong side, that tells you how much of a newbie I am at this, didn't realize the brake pads have specific sides.

Some do,some dont.
So an honest mistake.

I just had my '08 Pacifia brakes done @ Les Schwab. Rebuilt calipers, new pads, new front rotors & turned the back rotors, A little problem on rear alignment but reasonably close. Brakes work perfect.

Forum List

Back