~Bowling~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
Let's talk about bowling......shall we??.....
How many of yunz bowl??.....regularly or just here and there for funzies. Anyone on a bowling league??
I enjoy bowling...to some extent.
I think I can do rather well.......I can make more strikes and spares than I do gutter balls *haha*....but I'm no pro.
I have fun.....usually......but I have this "phobic" thing about bowling.
While I like it.....like participating as well as watching others, my fear is........I feel as tho when I go up to bowl, and I'm ready to throw that damn ball down to those pins....I can't help but feel all eyes are on my ass.
Really truth......
Sounds crazy I know......but this fear keeps me from going bowling when I have been asked ~LoL~
I know...when I watch others bowl......and I see them go up and make their stance and then glide into whatever routine they use......I find myself looking at their ass.....*sigh*
No I'm not a perv......it's just that, everyone has to sort of bend over, in a way, and it's unavoidable...there's the ass!

Then, I am fascinated to watch the different styles and techniques people use when bowling. Some go fast....some kind of walk up and then throw the ball. Some use one hand, a mighty powerful toss....and some use both hands, an in between the legs method.

My Mother loved to bowl, and she was an awesome bowler!
She was a tiny woman, about 5' 4" and weighing about 110 pounds....but she could toss that bowling ball down that lane with the best of them.
She was on a woman's bowling league back in the late 70s and early 80s.......and she and her team won many trophies...but the very best trophy my Mother ever won, was when the time she bowled the ever perfect 300.
She only did it once, but that was enough........while I wasn't there to see it, I was able to hear her proudly detail it over the phone, and she got a huge trophy for that.
I have that trophy now...it's a bit rusted and loose.....but it brings a smile to my face to think of the smile that was on her face when she got it :)

Just a bit about bowling...from me...I wanted to talk about.
I like it...and I enjoy it....just wish I could go more often when most of the lanes were empty *haha*
So......anybody here a good bowler??
For the record, my best game was a 163. Years agoooooooooooooooooooo

I never bowl. I don't think I've bowled since I had to use two hands and push the ball. :D

It's not worth it, having to wear those silly shoes! :lol:

My grandfather, though, bowled a 189 at age 100, which sounds pretty impressive. :eusa_clap:

I never bowl. I don't think I've bowled since I had to use two hands and push the ball. :D

It's not worth it, having to wear those silly shoes! :lol:

My grandfather, though, bowled a 189 at age 100, which sounds pretty impressive. :eusa_clap:

The shoe is sort of a *blech* part......most 'pro' bowlers have their own shoes.
My Mother had her own shoes!
And indeed....your Grandfather's score, very impressive!!

I've long retired from bowling. I played lots when I was a junior bowler and played through my college years. Post-college, about two leagues worth, the latter at Earl Anthony's Dublin Bowl.

My peak bowling average was 180. Highest score was 268 (twice). The first 268 was flukey, as I had a lot of crossover strikes, though I did convert an impressive 3-7 split on my second spare shot, and the next two games I was under average. The second 268 was more legit solid. Never came particularly close to hitting 300, probably my best opening was five or six strikes.

The prices just became too high for my liking, plus I was getting more frustrated with my results, especially at Earl's establishment (probably rigged for lefties like him. ;-) ) The standard oiling of the lanes did not favor my style, as the outside was greased more than the interior, and I liked to use a big hook, so my ball would either hang outside too long, or crossover at a bad angle. I modified my hook so it was lessened, but I just didn't seem to have the power to get strikes in any abundance and my average suffered tremendously having to go for more spares.

My two main childhood bowling establishments are long torn down now. Cue Madonna's "This Used To Be My Playground."

So now my main playing sport is tennis, just for recreation (not in any leagues or tournaments) on public tennis courts, so I pay very little to play that sport (mostly for new balls).

It's been a while. I used to take the kids quite a bit.
I think I was in a league when in grade school.

But heck... even this never happened to me!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv77yCyiwYE]Pro-bowler fail - YouTube[/ame]

I am certain that my avi inspired this thread and nobody will ever tell me otherwise. :)

Albino Bowler rocks! :thup:

Oh shit on the video sniplet....I have done that and also had the ball leave my hand behind me....flying into the poor folks seated!

I am certain that my avi inspired this thread and nobody will ever tell me otherwise. :)

Wanna bet??...I will tell you otherwise.

My Mother was the inspiration for my making this thread, thank you very much.
I was looking at all her trophies she had achieved thru the years....and dusting them off..and just remembering.......and I thought it would make a good topic of conversation....plus, it gave me an ideal time to talk about my Mother, which is something I always enjoy doing *smiles*

Sorry to burst your bubble Mani.....if ya got a bubble :lol:

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
But heck... even this never happened to me!

Pro-bowler fail - YouTube

That sucks. Though I never quite reached that point, I can sympathize. At one tournament I was at here in town, for some reason my thumb got swollen and I had a few times where the ball just was reluctant to come out and come out from a very high position. Obviously I had to frantically find a house ball to use, but its rare for to find one to fit my long slender fingers right. I think I even tried a few times left-handed. What a miserable day that was.

While I'm thinking about it, I did have a teammate of mine win a professional tournament one time. My grandpa called me up and said he was on TV and he was on fire that day (this was sometime in the early to mid-90s). Don't know if he ever won another tournament or made it into the top five, but good for thim that day. And he had a more wicked hook than I did. Go figure! :)

I was looking at all her trophies she had achieved thru the years....and dusting them off..and just remembering.......and I thought it would make a good topic of conversation....plus, it gave me an ideal time to talk about my Mother, which is something I always enjoy doing *smiles*

Why you gotta shit on Albino bowler like that? :dunno:

Why you gotta shit on Albino bowler like that? :dunno:

I'm not shitting on anybody you twit ~LoL~

But...my Mother ranks much higher than your bowler dude *whatcanisay*

For all the bowling I'd watched on TV since the 60's I've only seen one 300 game live.

I remember watching my parents bowl in leagues while I was growing up, and I hated sitting there at that time, watching the frames that never seemed to end~
But now, they are precious memories to me, wish I had more.
I never got to witness when my Mother had her 1 perfect game.........wish I could have, but I recall the joy she had in her voice as she described it to me. I do know, she tried.......very hard.....to do it again....but never had it happen again, it was one of those once-in-a-lifetime things I reckon :)

While I'm thinking about it, I did have a teammate of mine win a professional tournament one time. My grandpa called me up and said he was on TV and he was on fire that day (this was sometime in the early to mid-90s). Don't know if he ever won another tournament or made it into the top five, but good for thim that day. And he had a more wicked hook than I did. Go figure! :)

Here was his win (June 12, 1993)...

Seattle Open - Archived Standings | PBA.com

His impressive 279 (spare, nine strikes, spare) in the final was similar to my flukey 268 (spare, eight strikes, spare, strike), well, pattern-wise. :eusa_shhh:

Forum List

Back