Blockbuster Video

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
I found out today that the Blockbuster Video that I go to is closing down.

This is the fourth store in my area to close in the last year, and I'm actually a bit upset about it, because the few that remain aren't close enough to drive to.

Blockbusters already drove the mom and pop videostores out of business, and they are being driven out by movies on line, movies on demand, and movies by mail- businesses they are trying to get into.

I guess some would call this progress, but I think we are losing something as well.

Times change. Buggy whips, millions of pay phones in airports and elsewhere, and a slew of other things fall by the wayside as new technology changes the landscape. Progress...

Times change. Buggy whips, millions of pay phones in airports and elsewhere, and a slew of other things fall by the wayside as new technology changes the landscape. Progress...

But is progress always good? What I always enjoyed about a Video Store was seeing a title cover for a movie I wasn't looking for, but, hey, that looks interesting. And sometimes I'd enjoy the movie and sometimes I'd laugh at the awfulness of it.

And sometimes, I'd pick up a movie and another patron would tell me, "Man, that movie sucked!"

I'm probably going to switch to netflicks, but sometimes it's what we leave behind that we miss.

Redbox is a simpler version of Blockbuster, in that you can still go to a Redbox and browse and get a movie right then and there. I actually prefer the Redbox because it doesn't have nearly as much selection. Enough but not so much that I stand there for an hour, you know?

All of the Blockbusters around us closed down. You can get some great deals on movies/tv shows as they unload their inventory. They drop the prices each week so if you're looking for something in-particular, nows a good time to keep an eye out for it. Also, when ours closed down they offered a free movie (that you were buying anyways, I think whatever the cheapest movie you were purchasing) and a month free of Blockbuster online (it's like Netflix). You can just cancel before the one month timeframe is over. I took them up on the offer . . . good deal.

I'm already on their "on-line" program where I get movies in the mail and the store. But it was the ability to go to a store that made it worth the extra 10 bucks a month compared to Netflix.

I found out today that the Blockbuster Video that I go to is closing down.

This is the fourth store in my area to close in the last year, and I'm actually a bit upset about it, because the few that remain aren't close enough to drive to.

Blockbusters already drove the mom and pop videostores out of business, and they are being driven out by movies on line, movies on demand, and movies by mail- businesses they are trying to get into.

I guess some would call this progress, but I think we are losing something as well.

Surprised you still have one. The last one I know of in my area closed about 6 months ago. If they don't make a big internet play themselves, I think they're toast.

For me, part of the fun of renting movies was going to the store with your chick and picking them out, bullshitting with other people in the store, etc.

God forbid we have to leave the house for an hour and move our limbs.

For me, part of the fun of renting movies was going to the store with your chick and picking them out, bullshitting with other people in the store, etc.

God forbid we have to leave the house for an hour and move our limbs.

Hey, can you hand me the remote? Thanks.

Forum List

Back