Blaming Tea Party for S&P downgrade is like blaming Betty Ford Clinic for alcoholism

the tea party members used default as a bargaining chip - and for a while there it looked like they could actually do it.

they made people believe that the united states could actually willfully do itself the kind of harm that no sane country would even contemplate.

yes, the tea party is very much to blame for the downgrade - and it will be remembered.

It's obviously not up to anyone here who eventually gets more blame for this, but if there's any justice, the GOP will get their asses handed to them November of next year because of the antics of their Teahdist wing.

NOT a chance, but thanks for playing

“John Kerry is on a crusade to destroy the Tea Party. To blame the Tea Party for the S&P downgrade is like blaming the Betty Ford Clinic for alcoholism. The entire existence of the Tea Party movement has been based on an attempt to stop the runaway spending of Washington – by the likes of John Kerry. Any media outlet that features his outrageous blame game remarks without challenging his serial dishonesty is giving aid and comfort to the crusade to vilify and extinguish conservative thought.

“If this is the ‘Tea Party downgrade’ then I’m the fairy godmother. No, this is a well-coordinated effort by the left-wing to deflect bad news – very bad news – away from their very left-wing President Obama.

“Let’s not forget the conservative movement’s position on the debt. The only legislation that would have met the criteria to avert a downgrade was the Cut, Cap and Balance proposal. It included $5.8 trillion in cuts, far more than what S&P required. But President Obama vowed not to sign it, and the John Kerry Senate Democrats refused to consider it. The liberal media largely ignored this reality, too.

Bozell to Media: Don't Endorse John Kerry's Crusade Against the Tea Party

The liberal media is doing everything they can to get people to not see the obvious. The obvious being that Obama is to blame for this downgrade.

His horrible policies make Carter look responsible in comparison. Even the incompetent Jimmy Carter didn't get this country downgraded. Only Barack Insane Economy Obama could do that.

As usual with liberals, they are desperately pointing the fingers anywhere else but themselves in a pathetic effort to deflect the blame away from themselves.

But let's examine the obvious. The Tea Party did not pass any budgets. The tea party did not vote on any budgets. The Tea Party did NOTHING but protest and vote for candidates in an attempt to stop this RUNAWAY SPENDING, and the Tea Party is to blame?

Hilariously sick and insane. I know the left will hilariously insist that the Tea Party is to blame, because Republicans didn't want to "compromise."

Compromise on what? Run away spending is runaway spending. Whether it's spending at 50 mph or spending at 100 mph, it's STILL SPENDING, and on MONEY WE DON'T HAVE.

How do you compromise on bad policies that got us here in the first place?

But what is Washington's answer from both parties? More of the same.

And the Tea Party is to blame?

This is Jimmy Carter's malaise speech on STEROIDS.

Blame the American people FOR YOUR BAD POLICIES DEMOCRATS. Go right ahead.

See ya election day November 2012. Malaise guarranteed a landslide for Reagan.

Let's see what Malaise2011 gets ya!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You really couldn't have said it better--Love the title--and so TRUE!

$fore.jpg

the tea party members used default as a bargaining chip - and for a while there it looked like they could actually do it.

they made people believe that the united states could actually willfully do itself the kind of harm that no sane country would even contemplate.

yes, the tea party is very much to blame for the downgrade - and it will be remembered.

It's obviously not up to anyone here who eventually gets more blame for this, but if there's any justice, the GOP will get their asses handed to them November of next year because of the antics of their Teahdist wing.

why? when you had tea party politicians saying publicly that perhaps the ceiling shouldn't be raised and the us should default, when you had pundits and message board posters and representatives stating that defaulting wouldn't be that bad and under no circumstances could taxes be raised...

and then you have them bring us to the brink of making it happen, why on earth wouldn't a credit agency sit back and think "gee, they may actually do it."

your chest thumping and irresponsible behavior has had consequences. i believe there are more to come - and i hope that we see that happen next november.

You're making the assumption it seems that the Democrats as a whole are Liberal. Just because it's a Democrat vote doesn't necessarily mean it's a Liberal vote.

Got a link to where he caucuses with the Democrats over 90% of the time?

Too easy, Modbert. I hope you accept the NY Times site as authentic....I mean it's not "Faux News".

Lieberman votes with the Democrats 90 percent of the time, but he has always been a Scoop Jackson Democrat who early on broke with his party on defense issues. In the 1990s, he challenged party orthodoxy on school choice, entitlement reform and the place of religion in public life.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/21/opinion/21brooks.html

So if someone votes with the Democrats 90% of the time, but a certain tax bill is one of the 10% of the times he doesn't vote with them,

then they don't have a lock on the Democrats, do they?

WTF? You have no idea what the context of this part of the debate was even about, do you skippy?

S&P Downgraded the US mostly because of the political theatrics, not the debt or deficit. S&P spelled out why they did what they did and it wasn't because of spending.

I hope all the tea-wonkers get voted out in 2012.

You're exactly right, they did it because of the political theater, because BOTH SIDES were acting like fucking children. BOTH SIDES!

I hope BOTH SIDES get voted out 2012.

And on another note, the Tea Party could not have created this crisis out of thin air. There needed to be something there as a base for them to go on. That something being a massive unsustainable trend in debt spending created by BOTH SIDES over the past 30 or so years.

That is COMPLETE BS. As I already posted, political theater is nothing new to the budget, and I posted videos of the Democrats doing the same thing in 2005/6.

Nice try libs, but you are just trying to give cover to your bad president.

This downgrade happened because of Obama's OUT OF CONTROL SPENDING.

So, the 10 trillion in debt we had before Obama took office had nothing to do with this debate at all? The entire debate is based on Obama's 4 trillion and what's projected for future spending?:eusa_eh:

The downgrade happened because Washington proved that not only are they completely incompetent and out of control when it comes to spending, but also because they care more about political posturing and political games than they do fixing anything.

Cover for Obama? I cover for Obama as much as I cover for Bush, meaning none at all. They're both horrendously bad presidents that are essentially the exact same thing, but with a different letter next to their names.

why? when you had tea party politicians saying publicly that perhaps the ceiling shouldn't be raised and the us should default, when you had pundits and message board posters and representatives stating that defaulting wouldn't be that bad and under no circumstances could taxes be raised...

and then you have them bring us to the brink of making it happen, why on earth wouldn't a credit agency sit back and think "gee, they may actually do it."

your chest thumping and irresponsible behavior has had consequences. i believe there are more to come - and i hope that we see that happen next november.

Now your just lying. The pundits, tpers and posters said, and I quote "we wont default for simply not raising the debt ceiling. In order to default we have to NOT pay the interest on our debt"

Thats a far cry from the bloviating shit you just posted.

Now if you want to rephrase your point without the lies ill be happy to address it

You're exactly right, they did it because of the political theater, because BOTH SIDES were acting like fucking children. BOTH SIDES!

I hope BOTH SIDES get voted out 2012.

And on another note, the Tea Party could not have created this crisis out of thin air. There needed to be something there as a base for them to go on. That something being a massive unsustainable trend in debt spending created by BOTH SIDES over the past 30 or so years.

That is COMPLETE BS. As I already posted, political theater is nothing new to the budget, and I posted videos of the Democrats doing the same thing in 2005/6.

Nice try libs, but you are just trying to give cover to your bad president.

This downgrade happened because of Obama's OUT OF CONTROL SPENDING.

So, the 10 trillion in debt we had before Obama took office had nothing to do with this debate at all? The entire debate is based on Obama's 4 trillion and what's projected for future spending?:eusa_eh:

The downgrade happened because Washington proved that not only are they completely incompetent and out of control when it comes to spending, but also because they care more about political posturing and political games than they do fixing anything.

Cover for Obama? I cover for Obama as much as I cover for Bush, meaning none at all. They're both horrendously bad presidents that are essentially the exact same thing, but with a different letter next to their names.

Just wanted to say, love your avatar, my kids made me watch that show when they were teenagers :razz:

BS. The debit ceiling crisis was manufactored and brought by the Teabaggers. They won. Now live with the concequences. Well, lie as much as you can and blame the President and maybe some people will believe you.

BS. The crisis was brought on by the reckless spending of both parties and Obamas innept attitude towards addressing it until the last minute.

Origins of the debt showdown - The Washington Post

no, not really...They where willing to bring it down in order to get what they wanted.

Oh, the liberal media is carrying the water for the Whitehouse and that automatically makes it Gospel.

What a surprise!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Every day the big social spenders (in both parties) in Congress look more like a a credit card addicts who ran up $10,000 in credit card debt. Then took $100,000 equity loan to pay the debt: blew the rest on a garage full of toys and now blames the mortgage company because they can't afford the new payment. So now they run the credit card to make payments while still blaming someone else for their debt problem and their inability to now get credit.

And Obulls#!ts answer - borrow even more money that we don't have (another new stimulus) because that will surely fix it. :cuckoo:

How soon they forget.

Debt Ceiling Debate: Michele Bachmann Says Washington Is 'Deceiving' American People

Debt Ceiling Debate: Michele Bachmann Says Washington Is 'Deceiving' American People

WASHINGTON -- Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann on Thursday said the debt ceiling debate is just the latest chapter in a long history of Republicans getting rolled when it comes to spending fights, and said that's why she unequivocally opposes any increase in the amount the government can borrow.

Rep. Bachmann (R-Minn.) gave her most complete explanation to date of why she opposes raising the debt ceiling, a position that has endeared her to the conservatives grassroots but which has raised questions about her seriousness, given the economic stakes of a potential government default.

During a 30-minute speech and an extended question and answer session at the National Press Club, Bachmann said that she is confident the U.S. government will not default on its debts to creditors who hold U.S. treasury bonds.

"I have no doubt that we will not lose the full faith and credit of the United States," she said, referring to the theory that the government can prioritize its payments to ensure that interest payments to bondholders are made.

Inept?

It's generally a bill that consists of one piece of paper.

The Tea Party chose to make this an issue about future spending.

Well, okay..if they are so concern about the debt..why no tax increases?

Cutting spending is just as bad as increasing taxes during a recovery.

And they don't seem to have a problem with cutting spending.

If the dems were so concerned why didt they raise taxes when they had control??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

republican filibusters....next

Yeah, that explains how Obamacare got through despite the fact Republicans didn't support it.

NEXT!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Blaming Tea Party for S&P downgrade is like blaming Betty Ford Clinic for alcoholism

I dunno about that both places are refuges for people with mental issues.

Last edited:
There was no debt ceiling crisis until the Repupicans/Teafolks made it one. The downgrading was not because of the amount of debt but the brinkmanship playing in DC. Had raising the ceiling been done like it has the past hundred or so times it has been increased(no drama) there would have been no downgrade.

I think for the most part the American people understand this. We'll see in about 15 months.

Please show me when, in history, we had a debt to GDP at 75% where it was the kind of issue that it is today.

Hello.???????????....debt to GDP of 75 fucking percent....

There was valid fucking reason to not simply "raise the fucking debt ceiling" you fucking obamabot.

Pardon my language. You guys are pathetic....and I let the frustration get to me.

My fault....but it felt good.
S&P stated raising the debt ceiling was not a reason for the downgrade.
you guys enjoy ignoring this fact a lot.

Keep lying liberals. S&P said NOTHING of the kind. You want to give us a quote, because I sure has hell can quote the reasons S&P gave:

– The outlook on the long-term rating is negative. We could lower the long-term rating to ‘AA’ within the next two years if we see that less reduction in spending than agreed to, higher interest rates, or new fiscal pressures during the period result in a higher general government debt trajectory than we currently assume in our base case.

Republicans and Democrats have only been able to agree to relatively modest savings on discretionary spending while delegating to the Select Committee decisions on more comprehensive measures. It appears that for now, new revenues have dropped down on the menu of policy options. In addition, the plan envisions only minor policy changes on Medicare and little change in other entitlements, the containment of which we and most other independent observers regard as key to long-term fiscal sustainability.

Even assuming that at least $2.1 trillion of the spending reductions the act envisages are implemented, we maintain our view that the U.S. net general government debt burden (all levels of government combined, excluding liquid financial assets) will likely continue to grow. Under our revised base case fiscal scenario–which we consider to be consistent with a ‘AA+’ long-term rating and a negative outlook–we now project that net general government debt would rise from an estimated 74% of GDP by the end of 2011 to 79% in 2015 and 85% by 2021. Even the projected 2015 ratio of sovereign indebtedness is high in relation to those of peer credits and, as noted, would continue to rise under the act’s revised policy settings.

In other words what Standards and Poor are saying is the problem is SPENDING, SPENDING, SPENDING!

And before you libs try to spin the real problem is we don't have higher taxes on the rich. Get this little tidbit by S&P

Our revised upside scenario–which, other things being equal, we view as consistent with the outlook on the ‘AA+’ long-term rating being revised to stable–retains these same macroeconomic assumptions. In addition, it incorporates $950 billion of new revenues on the assumption that the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts for high earners lapse from 2013 onwards, as the Administration is advocating. In this scenario, we project that the net general government debt would rise from an estimated 74% of GDP by the end of 2011 to 77% in 2015 and to 78% by 2021.

S&P Downgrades U.S. Debt Rating — Press Release - MarketBeat - WSJ

IN OTHE WORDS, raising taxes will not even come close to covering the debt.

Which is, again, because of SPENDING, SPENDING SPENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S&P is saying the run away spending is the problem.

Oh they try to spread the blame around, because they don't want to anger the Democrats too much, BUT LET'S FACE IT.

The real face of out-of-control Federal spending is THE DEMOCRAT PARTY, and there is no doubt about it.

The S&P downgrade is the new face of Democrat spending, and no amount of liberal spin is going to get around that!

"The entire existence of the Tea Party movement has been" promoted as "an attempt to stop the runaway spending of Washington". It is far more than that, including racists and sexists and fascist corporatists.

( respectfully snipped)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Justt wondering...what makes the Tea Party racist? Or sexist? Or fascist?

Some of its membership, among them USAR and teapartysamurai who post here regularly. They stain everybody else.

"The entire existence of the Tea Party movement has been" promoted as "an attempt to stop the runaway spending of Washington". It is far more than that, including racists and sexists and fascist corporatists.

( respectfully snipped)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Some of its membership, among them USAR and teapartysamurai who post here regularly. They stain everybody else.

Is it your intention to be a whiny little bich this morning?

Have some coffee and two doses of PAXIL.

Now your just lying. The pundits, tpers and posters said, and I quote "we wont default for simply not raising the debt ceiling. In order to default we have to NOT pay the interest on our debt"

Thats a far cry from the bloviating shit you just posted.

Now if you want to rephrase your point without the lies ill be happy to address it

the lie was the belief that there was a way for us not to raise the debt ceiling and not to default on the debt. that was never a real possibility - and believing it was either makes you naive or stupid.

The S&P clearly indicted the Tea Party for its unwillingness to work with others for the betterment of the country.

Yes, the Tea Pots are going to get hammered hard next year.

Is it your intention to be a whiny little bich this morning?

Have some coffee and two doses of PAXIL.

Jackson asked why sexism and racisim are associated with the TP, I answered, gave two examples, and know you are PMSing. Who knew?

Forum List

Back