Bill to Ban Credit Checks in Hiring Process

I think if I'm a business owner hiring employees I want to know how reliable they are and a credit check helps me find this out.

I think my credit rating is my own personal information and none of your damn business.

Actually there are two sides to any business transaction.

For example when you sign up for cable service, the company sells you that service and you pay for it.

>>>>

you two need to mind your own business this is between that doofus that likes to get smart on message boards and me. don't instigate shit

Folks, looks like we got us a genuine
3695d1074514651hahafunnho6.jpg

The unintended consequence of this bill is that employers will be even more biased to hire candidates who already have jobs or have been unemployed for a very short time.

I don't think employers should have the right to ones personal information.....such as a credit check, if it does NOT relate to the job being hired for in a direct manner.

I have hired a gazillion employees over the years working and NOT ONCE did I need a potential hire's credit score or credit report, to make a decision on whether they would be a good employee for the job tasked.

Could of just closed the thread after this post. :lol:

There's a reason for doing a credit check on prospective employees, especially when handling money is part of the job: Someone with money problems might be tempted to steal.

i would think if handling money is part of the job, it would be appropriate to look into whether the person has a criminal record or has been involved in law suits or has declared bankruptcy. i've never thought that the credit score is relevant unless you want money from *them*

I think if I'm a business owner hiring employees I want to know how reliable they are and a credit check helps me find this out. If they are consistent in paying bills on time and don't hop from credit card to credit card, that will likely mean they will be a consistent employee who won't hop out of the job. If their credit history is bad/poor and/or they hop around from card to card frequently . . . I'd be wary of hiring them. I'd check their references as well; this just gives me another checkpoint, as it were. No, having crappy credit doesn't necessarily mean they'd make a crappy employee . . .but if I were a boss looking to hire? I'd hire someone with a background that checks out to be sound. Generally, it speaks to the kind of person they are and how responsible they are, which speaks to the kind of employee they'd make, imo.
I'm all for banning that kind of knowledge for employers. Unless you are in a position that requires sensitivity to security (and a cashier is NOT high enough on the food chain as compared to a managing accountant or cashroom attendant who handles MASSIVE amounts of money) they've no need to know such things.

Where the Integrity and reputation of a Company is at stake, the Employer has every right, to legally attained personal information. Even DMV is attained regularly. If there are red flags in your credit report, that you can reasonably explain, that's on your side. If your credit report is evidence of a life time of catastrophic life choices, why would I want to take on you and your perpetual life failures? Either you have good judgement or you don't. You have the right to hide major fuck ups from me, I have the right to look elsewhere for competent reliable help.

There's a reason for doing a credit check on prospective employees, especially when handling money is part of the job: Someone with money problems might be tempted to steal.

i would think if handling money is part of the job, it would be appropriate to look into whether the person has a criminal record or has been involved in law suits or has declared bankruptcy. i've never thought that the credit score is relevant unless you want money from *them*
In the security clearance business, a credit check is part of the investigation, and for the same reason: Someone with money problems might be tempted to sell classified information. It happens.

I think if I'm a business owner hiring employees I want to know how reliable they are and a credit check helps me find this out. If they are consistent in paying bills on time and don't hop from credit card to credit card, that will likely mean they will be a consistent employee who won't hop out of the job. If their credit history is bad/poor and/or they hop around from card to card frequently . . . I'd be wary of hiring them. I'd check their references as well; this just gives me another checkpoint, as it were. No, having crappy credit doesn't necessarily mean they'd make a crappy employee . . .but if I were a boss looking to hire? I'd hire someone with a background that checks out to be sound. Generally, it speaks to the kind of person they are and how responsible they are, which speaks to the kind of employee they'd make, imo.
I'm all for banning that kind of knowledge for employers. Unless you are in a position that requires sensitivity to security (and a cashier is NOT high enough on the food chain as compared to a managing accountant or cashroom attendant who handles MASSIVE amounts of money) they've no need to know such things.

Not all businesses do this anyways...the hairdresser or the burger flipper, I'm sure does not get the treatment. But, there are jobs where it would be essential to know the background and a credit check would tell a big part about the character of the person.

I don't think employers should have the right to ones personal information.....such as a credit check, if it does NOT relate to the job being hired for in a direct manner.

I have hired a gazillion employees over the years working and NOT ONCE did I need a potential hire's credit score or credit report, to make a decision on whether they would be a good employee for the job tasked.

Could of just closed the thread after this post. :lol:

I'm sure you would think so.

Where the Integrity and reputation of a Company is at stake, the Employer has every right, to legally attained personal information. Even DMV is attained regularly. If there are red flags in your credit report, that you can reasonably explain, that's on your side. If your credit report is evidence of a life time of catastrophic life choices, why would I want to take on you and your perpetual life failures? Either you have good judgement or you don't. You have the right to hide major fuck ups from me, I have the right to look elsewhere for competent reliable help.
Several years ago, we had a DoD civilian employee come due for her reinvestigation. She got redlined due to bad credit reporting. The investigating agency sent a letter to the colonel and to her asking for her explanation and plan to make it better. During their divorce, her husband totally screwed he credit...cleaning out accounts, maxing out cards. She declined to do anything about it, and wrote a letter stating such. So her clearance wasn't renewed. Civilian personnel office had to find her another position that didn't require a clearance.

I was asked yesterday by one of the cons on here about "what is the man doing to keep me down" Well, me personally, nothing. I'm employed and not "kept down" and frankly I don't think I ever said that I was. However, I found this article and found the bill to be a good idea. Many unemployed people are kept from being hired by the credit check process.

WASHINGTON -- For many of the 6.4 million Americans who have been unemployed for six months or longer, the prospect of finding a new job is daunting enough with a massive employment gap on their resumes. Checkered credit histories can be an even greater hurdle to clear.

In a move that may even the playing field for some of the long-term unemployed, Maryland State Delegate Kirill Reznik (D-Germantown) introduced a bill on Friday that would prohibit Maryland employers, with a few exceptions, from using a person's credit history as a screening tool for hiring and retention decisions. The Germantown delegate introduced the same bill last year without success, but similar legislation has now passed in Hawaii, Illinois, Oregon and Washington.

Maryland House Bill 87, called the Job Applicant Fairness Act, exempts financial institutions, including banks and credit unions, and law-enforcement agencies that are required to perform credit checks. Reznik told HuffPost that the legislation is mainly intended to help blue-collar workers.

Maryland Lawmaker Reintroduces Bill To Ban Credit Checks In Hiring Process

Your thoughts?

Your source is the Huffington Post? There goes any credibility you may have ever had.

Forum List

Back