Happy Birthday to the U.S. Constitution

AquaAthena

America First...MAGA
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2010
Central Coast
What a great article serving as a reminder of our system of government. I had forgotten much of the great legacy our Founding Fathers created for us to abide by. A long article I hope is not too long and is in the correct forum.
------------------------------------

September 17, 2023

A timely moment to wish 'happy #236' to the US Constitution​

By Silvio Canto, Jr.

We begin today with a "happy birthday" to the U.S. Constitution. Maybe you remember this from your U.S. History class. They taught it when I went to school, and I'm hoping that they still do today. Or maybe they started today's classes with a reminder that it was the work of a bunch of white guys who had slaves and didn't let their wives vote.
This is the story that I learned:
On May 25, 1787, delegates representing every state except Rhode Island convened at Philadelphia's Pennsylvania State House for the Constitutional Convention. The building, which is now known as Independence Hall, had earlier seen the drafting of the Declaration of Independence and the signing of the Articles of Confederation. The assembly immediately discarded the idea of amending the Articles of Confederation and set about drawing up a new scheme of government. Revolutionary War hero George Washington, a delegate from Virginia, was elected convention president.
During an intensive debate, the delegates devised a brilliant federal organization characterized by an intricate system of checks and balances. The convention was divided over the issue of state representation in Congress, as more-populated states sought proportional legislation, and smaller states wanted equal representation. The problem was resolved by the Connecticut Compromise, which proposed a bicameral legislature with proportional representation in the lower house (House of Representatives) and equal representation of the states in the upper house (Senate).
On September 17, 1787, the Constitution was signed. As dictated by Article VII, the document would not become binding until it was ratified by nine of the 13 states. Beginning on December 7, five states—Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia and Connecticut—ratified it in quick succession. However, other states, especially Massachusetts, opposed the document, as it failed to reserve un-delegated powers to the states and lacked constitutional protection of basic political rights, such as freedom of speech, religion, and the press. In February 1788, a compromise was reached under which Massachusetts and other states would agree to ratify the document with the assurance that amendments would be immediately proposed. The Constitution was thus narrowly ratified in Massachusetts, followed by Maryland and South Carolina. On June 21, 1788, New Hampshire became the ninth state to ratify the document, and it was subsequently agreed that government under the U.S. Constitution would begin on March 4, 1789. In June, Virginia ratified the Constitution, followed by New York in July.

7_238_9.gif

On September 25, 1789, the first Congress of the United States adopted 12 amendments to the U.S. Constitution–the Bill of Rights–and sent them to the states for ratification. Ten of these amendments were ratified in 1791. In November 1789, North Carolina became the 12th state to ratify the U.S. Constitution. Rhode Island, which opposed federal control of currency and was critical of compromise on the issue of slavery, resisted ratifying the Constitution until the U.S. government threatened to sever commercial relations with the state. On May 29, 1790, Rhode Island voted by two votes to ratify the document, and the last of the original 13 colonies joined the United States. Today, the U.S. Constitution is the oldest written constitution in operation in the world.
My late great-uncle, who died in Cuba in the 1970s, was a judge, attorney, and law school professor. He was a great admirer of Abraham Lincoln and once told my father that the beauty of the U.S. Constitution was the amendment process. And then he quickly added that the U.S. was very lucky that a man like George Washington was around to take it from a document to reality.

The document, and the governing system it created, were finally put to the test when George Washington was inaugurated in March 1789.
We remember today the document and its history. I mean especially today, because I'm not sure if we are teaching our kids how fortunate we are to be living under it.

Last edited:
Let's just hope it will still be around 20 years from now.

I don't WANT to own nothing, and I am absolutely certain that will not make me happy.

The Constitution was designed to protect the Citizens from a tyrannical corrupt government.
This is why the Corrupt Democrat Party hates the constitution and why they appoint anti-constitution judges to the Supreme Court.

What a great article serving as a reminder of our system of government. I had forgotten much of the great legacy our Founding Fathers created for us to abide by. A long article I hope is not too long and is in the correct forum.
------------------------------------

September 17, 2023

A timely moment to wish 'happy #236' to the US Constitution​

By Silvio Canto, Jr.

We begin today with a "happy birthday" to the U.S. Constitution. Maybe you remember this from your U.S. History class. They taught it when I went to school, and I'm hoping that they still do today. Or maybe they started today's classes with a reminder that it was the work of a bunch of white guys who had slaves and didn't let their wives vote.
This is the story that I learned:

My late great-uncle, who died in Cuba in the 1970s, was a judge, attorney, and law school professor. He was a great admirer of Abraham Lincoln and once told my father that the beauty of the U.S. Constitution was the amendment process. And then he quickly added that the U.S. was very lucky that a man like George Washington was around to take it from a document to reality.

The document, and the governing system it created, were finally put to the test when George Washington was inaugurated in March 1789.
We remember today the document and its history. I mean especially today, because I'm not sure if we are teaching our kids how fortunate we are to be living under it.

It is envied around the world. Some want you to become a covert Police State as Canada is and I believe MANY on both sides agree. Unless you stand up for ever human rigt abuse, you wikk inevitably all lose a piece of this documents premise.

Forum List

Back