Bill to Ban Credit Checks in Hiring Process

I think if I'm a business owner hiring employees I want to know how reliable they are and a credit check helps me find this out. If they are consistent in paying bills on time and don't hop from credit card to credit card, that will likely mean they will be a consistent employee who won't hop out of the job. If their credit history is bad/poor and/or they hop around from card to card frequently . . . I'd be wary of hiring them. I'd check their references as well; this just gives me another checkpoint, as it were. No, having crappy credit doesn't necessarily mean they'd make a crappy employee . . .but if I were a boss looking to hire? I'd hire someone with a background that checks out to be sound. Generally, it speaks to the kind of person they are and how responsible they are, which speaks to the kind of employee they'd make, imo.

As someone just checking a credit score using a SSN, you wouldn't have access to all the accounts anyway in order to see if someone had been bouncing around. When an individual wants to check his/her credit score and want to see which accounts are listed, they need to plug in all the account numbers. A potential employer would not have those.

A credit "score" can be influenced by some spouse who abused the joint credit, then took off, leaving the remaining spouse responsible for the bills. A credit "score" is influenced if a person has major credit cards and also has store credit cards (which reduces the number). The score can be reduced even if someone is shopping around for a refinance. Ironically, the credit score will actually DROP if a person pays off all his credit!! Are those bad people that will make for crappy employees? Hardly.

Don't be so quick to judge based on a measurement from a conglomeration of basic assumptions without the true facts in front of you.

Your first paragraph . . . I don't know what information a potential employer gains from a credit check; thanks for providing that.

Your second paragraph . . . I wasn't talking about credit scores.

Your third paragraph . . . Whose judging? I was merely stating my opinion.

Sorry, I missed the "if" in your first sentence which changed it just enough to appear as though it was you, not "if" it was you.

"I think if I'm a business owner hiring employees I want to know how reliable they are and a credit check helps me find this out."

your credit report IS your own personal information....PERIOD.

How in the world did all of us people who hired employees all this past century do our jobs in hiring WITHOUT the potential hire's credit report? My oh my.... sheesh....

How did we get by without credit reports period? How did we get by without credit cards? Quite well, as I recall. When the cash ran out, that was it. We couldn't just say, "Oh well...I'll just put it on a card, then..."

I think if I'm a business owner hiring employees I want to know how reliable they are and a credit check helps me find this out.

I think my credit rating is my own personal information and none of your damn business.

Actually there are two sides to any business transaction.

For example when you sign up for cable service, the company sells you that service and you pay for it.

>>>>

And that is relevant to some third party how?

Where the Integrity and reputation of a Company is at stake, the Employer has every right, to legally attained personal information. Even DMV is attained regularly. If there are red flags in your credit report, that you can reasonably explain, that's on your side. If your credit report is evidence of a life time of catastrophic life choices, why would I want to take on you and your perpetual life failures? Either you have good judgement or you don't. You have the right to hide major fuck ups from me, I have the right to look elsewhere for competent reliable help.
Several years ago, we had a DoD civilian employee come due for her reinvestigation. She got redlined due to bad credit reporting. The investigating agency sent a letter to the colonel and to her asking for her explanation and plan to make it better. During their divorce, her husband totally screwed he credit...cleaning out accounts, maxing out cards. She declined to do anything about it, and wrote a letter stating such. So her clearance wasn't renewed. Civilian personnel office had to find her another position that didn't require a clearance.

What did they expect her to do about it?

I was asked yesterday by one of the cons on here about "what is the man doing to keep me down" Well, me personally, nothing. I'm employed and not "kept down" and frankly I don't think I ever said that I was. However, I found this article and found the bill to be a good idea. Many unemployed people are kept from being hired by the credit check process.

WASHINGTON -- For many of the 6.4 million Americans who have been unemployed for six months or longer, the prospect of finding a new job is daunting enough with a massive employment gap on their resumes. Checkered credit histories can be an even greater hurdle to clear.

In a move that may even the playing field for some of the long-term unemployed, Maryland State Delegate Kirill Reznik (D-Germantown) introduced a bill on Friday that would prohibit Maryland employers, with a few exceptions, from using a person's credit history as a screening tool for hiring and retention decisions. The Germantown delegate introduced the same bill last year without success, but similar legislation has now passed in Hawaii, Illinois, Oregon and Washington.

Maryland House Bill 87, called the Job Applicant Fairness Act, exempts financial institutions, including banks and credit unions, and law-enforcement agencies that are required to perform credit checks. Reznik told HuffPost that the legislation is mainly intended to help blue-collar workers.

Maryland Lawmaker Reintroduces Bill To Ban Credit Checks In Hiring Process

Your thoughts?

Your source is the Huffington Post? There goes any credibility you may have ever had.

I was wondering when a knee-jerk reaction would arrive concerning the source. The same information can be found in several places, of course. The HP isn't ALL lefty-talk, ya know. They too pick up on AP newswire stories, just like WND, NewsMax, Drudge, etc.

Where the Integrity and reputation of a Company is at stake, the Employer has every right, to legally attained personal information. Even DMV is attained regularly. If there are red flags in your credit report, that you can reasonably explain, that's on your side. If your credit report is evidence of a life time of catastrophic life choices, why would I want to take on you and your perpetual life failures? Either you have good judgement or you don't. You have the right to hide major fuck ups from me, I have the right to look elsewhere for competent reliable help.
Several years ago, we had a DoD civilian employee come due for her reinvestigation. She got redlined due to bad credit reporting. The investigating agency sent a letter to the colonel and to her asking for her explanation and plan to make it better. During their divorce, her husband totally screwed he credit...cleaning out accounts, maxing out cards. She declined to do anything about it, and wrote a letter stating such. So her clearance wasn't renewed. Civilian personnel office had to find her another position that didn't require a clearance.

At some point, damage control. What he did was despicable. She should have acted on that. Why didn't she? At some point she was made aware. How did she respond? How would you respond?

At some point, damage control. What he did was despicable. She should have acted on that. Why didn't she? At some point she was made aware. How did she respond? How would you respond?

If that had happened to me, I would have first attempted to get some monetary award through small claims court, if such a dispute can be heard in that venue; I don't know. To keep her credit fairly clean, the only thing that could be done would be to keep plugging away at the debt. If it was astronomical, she may not have had the income to keep the balances current.

But I wonder if the powers that be within the DoD even cared that there might have been circumstances beyond her control, which were none of their business IF she was doing her JOB according to the job description. In that case, she might have been pissed off to the point where she refused to answer their probing letter. Frankly, I may have taken that position myself and asked for a transfer out, including in the transfer request her decision not to respond to such a nosy demand for personal and private information.

If that had happened to me, I would have first attempted to get some monetary award through small claims court, if such a dispute can be heard in that venue; I don't know. To keep her credit fairly clean, the only thing that could be done would be to keep plugging away at the debt. If it was astronomical, she may not have had the income to keep the balances current.

But I wonder if the powers that be within the DoD even cared that there might have been circumstances beyond her control, which were none of their business IF she was doing her JOB according to the job description. In that case, she might have been pissed off to the point where she refused to answer their probing letter. Frankly, I may have taken that position myself and asked for a transfer out, including in the transfer request her decision not to respond to such a nosy demand for personal and private information.

That makes sense. The Banks should have also warned her that she was being maxed out. They share some of the blame. I don't ever see myself working for the Fed., different jobs have different burdens. There is usually one trade off or another. My point though, is in a case like that, I would not blame her, the victim, and I personally would not disqualify her for a potential job based on what happened to her. Compare that to someone with a life time history of bounced checks, and it's apples and oranges.

Fix it -- method up to her. Make arrangements for repayment, sue her ex-husband, whatever. She chose not to, so her clearance was denied. Luckily, the CPO was able to find her another job.

That makes sense. The Banks should have also warned her that she was being maxed out. They share some of the blame. I don't ever see myself working for the Fed., different jobs have different burdens. There is usually one trade off or another. My point though, is in a case like that, I would not blame her, the victim, and I personally would not disqualify her for a potential job based on what happened to her. Compare that to someone with a life time history of bounced checks, and it's apples and oranges.

I agree. The closest I came to having my spouse potentially destroy me financially was his practice of keeping a second checking account in his name only carrying a small deposit of under $500 just in case he wrote checks from the joint account he knew would bounce, and then he would deposit enough in our account to cover it, then redeposit from ours to his. He always insisted on "balancing the checkbook" himself, so I wasn't aware he was kiting until the divorce. He was, after all a CPA. Why wouldn't I have trusted him?

If she'd come up with a sound plan to mitigate, she could have gotten her clearance and kept the position. The decision was up to her boss to accept the plan or not.

She chose not to do even that. And given her previous work record (chronic lateness, spending lots of time on Ebay while on duty, not doing her job in general, even getting arrested for a bar fight), that was the final straw. The colonel wanted her gone. She got a job that didn't require a clearance at Fort Jackson, which cut her commute time considerably.
I can tell you've never had a security clearance. "Nosy demand for personal and private information" are how the government decides who can be trusted with classified information and who can't. :lol:

Dave, I dun think anyone is arguing that certain jobs warrant a look-see into the applicant's credit history -- and personal life in general.

What your side seems unwilling to acknowledge is, for most jobs no rational basis for doing so excists and to create a new barrier to employment for the long-term unemployment deepns the suffering of many without cause.

O, and BTW willworkforcrak -- Zoom-boing is about as nice a poster as USMB has to offer. If you can't tolerate being disagreed with, this may not be the best place for you....and most of the rest of us are capable of being MUCH nastier.

I think if I'm a business owner hiring employees I want to know how reliable they are and a credit check helps me find this out. If they are consistent in paying bills on time and don't hop from credit card to credit card, that will likely mean they will be a consistent employee who won't hop out of the job. If their credit history is bad/poor and/or they hop around from card to card frequently . . . I'd be wary of hiring them. I'd check their references as well; this just gives me another checkpoint, as it were. No, having crappy credit doesn't necessarily mean they'd make a crappy employee . . .but if I were a boss looking to hire? I'd hire someone with a background that checks out to be sound. Generally, it speaks to the kind of person they are and how responsible they are, which speaks to the kind of employee they'd make, imo.

As someone just checking a credit score using a SSN, you wouldn't have access to all the accounts anyway in order to see if someone had been bouncing around. When an individual wants to check his/her credit score and want to see which accounts are listed, they need to plug in all the account numbers. A potential employer would not have those.

A credit "score" can be influenced by some spouse who abused the joint credit, then took off, leaving the remaining spouse responsible for the bills. A credit "score" is influenced if a person has major credit cards and also has store credit cards (which reduces the number). The score can be reduced even if someone is shopping around for a refinance. Ironically, the credit score will actually DROP if a person pays off all his credit!! Are those bad people that will make for crappy employees? Hardly.

Don't be so quick to judge based on a measurement from a conglomeration of basic assumptions without the true facts in front of you.

thats why you ask questions. if I am hiring someone who especially is over say 35 and they roll in with a C score of like 480 or 500 I am going to ask why.

Dave, I dun think anyone is arguing that certain jobs warrant a look-see into the applicant's credit history -- and personal life in general.

What your side seems unwilling to acknowledge is, for most jobs no rational basis for doing so excists and to create a new barrier to employment for the long-term unemployment deepns the suffering of many without cause.
Ummm...I explained my view here.

Most jobs do not involve handling the money, at least not without supervision, Dave. Do you at least acknowledge this will burden those who have been unemployed a long time?

Most jobs do not involve handling the money, at least not without supervision, Dave. Do you at least acknowledge this will burden those who have been unemployed a long time?
It might. However, denying that information to companies with a need for the information based on the position is foolish.

there is NO NEED for that information....how did people hire good people BEFORE this was available?

we own our home, no car loans, no credit card debt either etc....but i do not believe for one nano second, someone looking to hire me, needs to know our 800 plus credit rating....this is an invasion of privacy...

i can not see how any of you, can think otherwise, quite frankly....

there is NO NEED for that information....how did people hire good people BEFORE this was available?

we own our home, no car loans, no credit card debt either etc....but i do not believe for one nano second, someone looking to hire me, needs to know our 800 plus credit rating....this is an invasion of privacy...

i can not see how any of you, can think otherwise, quite frankly....

Yes, totally...Just another way to keep people down really.

I view it as another way to keep people down. I'm sure many Americans having undergone a sustained period of unemployment will not have such good credit ratings as they once held when employed.

It seems as if it is a way to kick people when they're down.

Forum List

Back