Bill Maher steps in it again

Maher is a purveyor of the 'f' woid....nothing more....nothing less. Could someone with some clinical psychological experience on here explain his obsession with the 'f' woid?

I did find this: What the F-Word actually means... and why it should bother us | Christian News on Christian Today

I dont subscribe to the idea that the etymology of a word gives us its *real* meaning as used in current society.

What I think it illustrates about current society is what shocking words can be used and not used and that shows what are our current 'sacred' shibboleths are untouchable and which are not. Telling a priest to 'fuck off' should be as shocking and unacceptable as telling a black person that he is a n1gger. But the two are not equivalent at all. The PC zeitgeist is far superior to the responsible moral perspective today as PC taboo trumps moral sensitivity. It isnt even close.

The history of a word can be interesting, but it is irrelevant in terms of how it is used today.

If it was someone on the right saying that, the CNN Fake news channel should be headlining it for 5 days while calling for his head.
Bullshit. If a rightwing politician says it, yes of course, that makes news. If a rightwing comedian says it, it no more makes the news than when a left wing comedian says it.

Maher is intentionally provocative. It's his schtick.

He's like Mel Brooks back in the day, but not nearly as hilarious. And it's a different time, and I imagine Mel Brooks would be run out of town PDQ if he trotted around his Blazing Saddles script looking for investors, so Maher has to find some sort of middle ground.

anyhow, I've always kind of liked Maher, although I mostly disagree with his politics. He's kind of a dick and has carved out a little niche for himself by combining politics and humor and he isn't afraid to occasionally piss on his own team when they've obviously gone around the bend, so I've got to give him some props for that..

He tweaks people's noses in a fairly harmless way, gets people spun up over minor shit, just as he's doing now, and runs right to the bank..

....or the nail salon apparently....

Forum List

Back