Bilingual Ed

Where did you live?
I live in France.
Are you a gypsy?
No, Gypsies are Indo Europeans like the French and most other state majorities in Europe. I would hate to be Indo European.

You keep using that term, but I don't think you know what it means.
Germanic, Slavonic, and the Latin languages are the European branches of the Indo European group, gypsy/Romani and a few others are the Asian branches of it.

I am very familiar with the Indo-European language group. There is much more to it than you mention above. However, you seem to be trying to use the term as if it were an ethnicity today.

Why do 90% of the world's school children learn everything in a foreign language from the very 1st day in school? I'm glad you had no problems, though.
Nobody has problems with this, except political trouble makers. The reason for the 90 % is that 90 % of all the ~ 200 countries is a formal colony with hundreds of tribes in them whose languages can't be tracked so they all agree to just continue in the old colonial language for the schools. Then there are even more people, and I am in this category, who are members of some ethnic minority or another, and are actively denied an education in their native languages. The purpose of this is to loot and rob them off of their money, off of their ability to do business, and off of their identities and traditions. Centralized governments that operate popular democracies all realize that they can sell in a new market when they kill off the local language of that market. Check out France.
Where did you live?
I live in France.
Are you a gypsy?
No, Gypsies are Indo Europeans like the French and most other state majorities in Europe. I would hate to be Indo European.
Just a guess. Gypsies visited our mom and pop grocery once when I was a kid minding the store, and they were speaking a different language. They were from Canada, the grownups said, so maybe it was French. What did I know?

I can't imagine trying to learn ANYTHING when the teacher and everyone around me is speaking a foreign language. I just can't. One of my half brothers was adopted from Colombia when he was 6 or so. They offered bilingual ed and my Dad insisted no. Poor kid did somehow make it (my stepmom spoke Spanish so at least at home he got a bit of a break) but I can't imagine what it must have been like. Seems to me the law before was pretty damned cruel.
Worked fine for my wife. It took her maybe two months to speak & understand English. She was totally fluent in four, and spoke near-perfect, colloquial American English inside of six. Her English is notable mostly for her NOT having any New England accent.

The entire working class in China is NOT comprised entirely - or anywhere near mostly - of Cantonese speakers. Everyone who attends school learns Mandarin, and only a small and growing number of elderly people can speak only Cantonese.

So you agree that Chinese should be mandatory for those who wish to continue to live in California and differ only on the dialect. Small matter, no?

The entire working class in China is NOT comprised entirely - or anywhere near mostly - of Cantonese speakers. Everyone who attends school learns Mandarin, and only a small and growing number of elderly people can speak only Cantonese.

So you agree that Chinese should be mandatory for those who wish to continue to live in California and differ only on the dialect. Small matter, no?

Um, no.

This is why democratic societies can't do anything right. They are usually "unfair" but even when they are trying to be "fair" they get circumvented. Homeschooling in principal protects your identity hence protects your business turf. But is doesn't protect you from the physical aggression of state. State schooling is the opposite.

California will bring back bilingual education as Proposition 58 cruises to victory

The passage of prop 58 in CA opens the door for the reintroduction of bilingual ed in the state. The law still requires that students become proficient in English as quickly as possible, but leaves a lot open.
It is a good thing for an American to learn Spanish. After all, the entire Latin America speaks it, and you may very well go on vacation there plus discover it in detail. Bilingual education is a winner.

I can't imagine trying to learn ANYTHING when the teacher and everyone around me is speaking a foreign language. I just can't. One of my half brothers was adopted from Colombia when he was 6 or so. They offered bilingual ed and my Dad insisted no. Poor kid did somehow make it (my stepmom spoke Spanish so at least at home he got a bit of a break) but I can't imagine what it must have been like. Seems to me the law before was pretty damned cruel.
Worked fine for my wife. It took her maybe two months to speak & understand English. She was totally fluent in four, and spoke near-perfect, colloquial American English inside of six. Her English is notable mostly for her NOT having any New England accent.

Yeah, unfortunately you can't equate immersion learning with classroom learning.

Forum List

Back