Bilingual Ed

California will bring back bilingual education as Proposition 58 cruises to victory

The passage of prop 58 in CA opens the door for the reintroduction of bilingual ed in the state. The law still requires that students become proficient in English as quickly as possible, but leaves a lot open.
It is a good thing for an American to learn Spanish. ...

That's not really the issue.

Okay, let me make it real then. If the Russians can migrate to Crimea and force everyone there to switch to speaking Russian, then the Latinos can migrate to the USA and force everyone there to switch to speaking Spanish. Hehehe.

California will bring back bilingual education as Proposition 58 cruises to victory

The passage of prop 58 in CA opens the door for the reintroduction of bilingual ed in the state. The law still requires that students become proficient in English as quickly as possible, but leaves a lot open.

Okay, let me make it real then. If the Russians can migrate to Crimea and force everyone there to switch to speaking Russian, then the Latinos can migrate to the USA and force everyone there to switch to speaking Spanish. Hehehe.

No, they can't and they won't.

Just like that? Why don't you just write "woof woof"? You are the worst written AI. In fact the guys who wrote you were so stupid, they probably modeled you with a dog's brain because that was smarter than them.

I can't imagine trying to learn ANYTHING when the teacher and everyone around me is speaking a foreign language. I just can't. One of my half brothers was adopted from Colombia when he was 6 or so. They offered bilingual ed and my Dad insisted no. Poor kid did somehow make it (my stepmom spoke Spanish so at least at home he got a bit of a break) but I can't imagine what it must have been like. Seems to me the law before was pretty damned cruel.
90 % of the world's school children learn everything in a foreign language from the very 1st day in school. I am one of them. Believe me, if it is just a fact of your life, you will do it too, with no problems.

completely agree. My daughter speaks 4 languages and it seems she can acquire any languages quickly, easily, and without effort

Okay, let me make it real then. If the Russians can migrate to Crimea and force everyone there to switch to speaking Russian, then the Latinos can migrate to the USA and force everyone there to switch to speaking Spanish. ....

Just like that? ....

Just like that.

I can't imagine trying to learn ANYTHING when the teacher and everyone around me is speaking a foreign language. I just can't. One of my half brothers was adopted from Colombia when he was 6 or so. They offered bilingual ed and my Dad insisted no. Poor kid did somehow make it (my stepmom spoke Spanish so at least at home he got a bit of a break) but I can't imagine what it must have been like. Seems to me the law before was pretty damned cruel.
90 % of the world's school children learn everything in a foreign language from the very 1st day in school. I am one of them. Believe me, if it is just a fact of your life, you will do it too, with no problems.

completely agree. My daughter speaks 4 languages and it seems she can acquire any languages quickly, easily, and without effort

"Without effort"? No.

Why not mandarin? That way they would avoid the first nuclear strike from Beijing.

I had seriously considered saying Mandarin or perhaps even Mandarin/Cantonese.

But then, upon thinking it through, I recalled that the lower classes - those who get the low-paid grunt jobs - they're Cantonese speakers so the Mandarin-speaking bosses are bi-lingual in that regard. So they give orders to be understood and followed by the slaves. ....

You just completely made that up.

The federal government should not be fiscally responsible for teaching immigrants English. There should be a "out of Pocket" expense from the families that use those classes. They came here willing. Be responsible!

Or tax California into oblivion.

The federal government should not be fiscally responsible for teaching immigrants English. There should be a "out of Pocket" expense from the families that use those classes. They came here willing. Be responsible!

How about math, science, history?

That should be funded by the government.

But not English? Just that one subject?

English entails language arts (writing skills grammar, spelling and literature). Of course that should be funded by the government. OUR CITIZENS need that course.

English entails language arts (writing skills grammar, spelling and literature). Of course that should be funded by the government. OUR CITIZENS need that course.

So, what are you talking about?

Standard education.

Standard education.

Which includes English.

Standard education.

Which includes English.
I have decided to use your method of posting. One sentence. That is it. OOPS! went over my quota.

Standard education.

Which includes English.
I have decided to use your method of posting. One sentence. That is it. OOPS! went over my quota.

I'll take that as a retraction.

Once knew a fella who was named Ed. Yes, he was bi-lingual.

Fluent in both American English and in Southern Black Dialect. Made big bucks coaching Hillary but lost that job suddenly under strained circumstances......

Standard education.

Which includes English.

I'll take that as a retraction.
Not a retraction.

Forum List

Back