Biggest jobs drop in nearly 4 years

April job openings show biggest drop in nearly 4 years

Job seekers were jolted Tuesday by new government data showing the number of available jobs dropped by 325,000 in April to 3.4 million.

That was the biggest single-month drop since September 2008's falloff of 438,000.

And that helps explain why the April-May increase in jobs was so low. Remember, this report is for April, it's now June and we already know what happened in May.
Still waiting on those shovel ready jobs.

I hope you're comfortable, then. It'll be a long wait.

That's IS the whole point of QE: Free money to the Banks so they can play the Stock Market.

Morons like TM will then point to the temporary Stock Rally and say: "See Cons? Our Economy is doing JUST FINE!" :cuckoo:

In the end, the only thing QE accomplishes is, diminishing the value of our dollar which diminishes the worth of my life savings.

What rate of inflation do you realistically want to see?

I would like to see inflation caused by the markets, not by my government printing money to ease things. That is what I would realistically want to see.

Job seekers were jolted Tuesday by new government data showing the number of available jobs dropped by 325,000 in April to 3.4 million.

That was the biggest single-month drop since September 2008's falloff of 438,000.

And that helps explain why the April-May increase in jobs was so low. Remember, this report is for April, it's now June and we already know what happened in May.

Then you haven't been looking

In the end, the only thing QE accomplishes is, diminishing the value of our dollar which diminishes the worth of my life savings.

I would like to see inflation caused by the markets, not by my government printing money to ease things. That is what I would realistically want to see.

Then you a) don't know what your looking at because b) you don't understand inflation.

When aggregate inflation is caused by the markets, then we are in a crap load of trouble because it means that there is a sever supply shock across all markets and there is a shortage of goods. Quantity went down, prices went up, and income all stayed the same. But then again, that's the nature of the economy, prices should go up when there is a shortage, right? So, I suppose, it is an okay, crap load of trouble that the money supply isn't suppose to take care of anyways.

On the other hand, when aggregate inflation is caused by increasing the money supply, then all is just fine because real income and real prices moved in the same direction at the same time. Quantity stayed the same, prices went up, and income went up.

So you have seen inflation caused by the markets and a tiny bit of inflation caused by the money supply is meaningless. You are not being realistic.

Then you a) don't know what your looking at because b) you don't understand inflation.

When aggregate inflation is caused by the markets, then we are in a crap load of trouble because it means that there is a sever supply shock across all markets and there is a shortage of goods. Quantity went down, prices went up, and income all stayed the same. But then again, that's the nature of the economy, prices should go up when there is a shortage, right? So, I suppose, it is an okay, crap load of trouble that the money supply isn't suppose to take care of anyways.

On the other hand, when aggregate inflation is caused by increasing the money supply, then all is just fine because real income and real prices moved in the same direction at the same time. Quantity stayed the same, prices went up, and income went up.

So you have seen inflation caused by the markets and a tiny bit of inflation caused by the money supply is meaningless. You are not being realistic.

You are actually being dishonest in your representation of what the USA's economic policies over the last few years have done to the value of the dollar.

Endless borrowing and printing of money has caused a ton of inflation for us, I would like to see my govt stop devaluing the dollar through printing and devaluing the wealth of hte entire nation by borrowing.

Nice spin though.

The news comes as markets await Wednesday's Federal Reserve statement on the economy at the end of a two-day meeting of its policy-setting committee. Stocks rose Tuesday in anticipation that the Fed will announce further help for an economy that has shown some signs of slowing.

Thank god the private sector is doing fine ,as Obama says...:cuckoo::cuckoo:
View attachment 19644

View attachment 19645

View attachment 19646
I wonder how many of those available jobs went down because people filled them?????

uzefbznd90mydcoicykmmq.gif

The numbers you use for inflation are the official numbers created by politicians in Washington with the clear intent to defraud the American public into believing there is little inflation. Here is an updated quote to consider: There are lies, damned lies, statistics, and hedonics! That is one of the tools the tricksters use to force the price numbers to not show the true rate of increase. Instead of using the official BS to describe inflation, I prefer to use the work of Shadowstats.com. Using the same methodology that the government used in 1980, Shadowstats calculates the current rate of inflation to be near 10%.

View attachment 19669

By publishing an "official" rate of inflation that is much too low, government is able to steal from savers, from lenders who buy bonds, from people on fixed incomes, and from workers whose pay should be properly adjusted for real inflation. Inflation created by government is theft from the people. I prefer to have less inflation, so that less real value will be stolen from my family. Cheers!

Shadow stats is full of shit. The guy has no education in statistics and economis. He doesn't do his own survey, he doesn't publish his methodology for "calculating" his inflation numbers. He has no clue what he is doing except how to make money from the paranoid delusional consipracy theory crowd. And he is hiding his process from inspection

The BLS is not part of some government conspiracy to defraud the American public. Thier methodology is transparent and published. They are also not the only ones that produce an inflation survey. Every measure of inflation by indepentent organizations all come out the same, whether it is MIT or the BLS.

Then you haven't been looking

Dude I do construction for a living their were no shovel ready jobs, as a matter of fact when obama got what he wanted construction basically shut down.

The numbers you use for inflation are the official numbers created by politicians in Washington with the clear intent to defraud the American public into believing there is little inflation.
No, the numbers are published by BLS, which is apolitical. The formulas and calculations had zero political input.

Here is an updated quote to consider: There are lies, damned lies, statistics, and hedonics!
Hedonic adjustment is a well-established, valid statistical tool used to adjust for quality change. If a men's shirt changes from being 95% cotton, 5% polyester and changes to 90% cotton, 10% polyester it is clearly not the same item anymore and the change in fabric needs to be accounted for in pricing. You can't do it straightforward like if a box or can changes size, so you have to use more sophisticated calculations.

Perhaps you're not aware that only 15 item categories use hedonic adjustment...11 are apparel categories and the others are Educational Books and Supplies, Major Appliances, Televisions, and Other Video Equipment. and those item categories combined only make up 2.9% of the total CPI.

What would be your proposed method of adjusting for quality change for these categories? Or would you just say that an HD television is the same thing as non-HD is the same thing as 3D?

That is one of the tools the tricksters use to force the price numbers to not show the true rate of increase.
No, it's used to show the true increase/decrease which would otherwise be hidden by quality change. If an item's quality drops, and the price doesn't, are you really going to say there's no change? BLS would show that as a price increase. Conversely, if the quality of an item improves and the price doesn't change, that's a price decrease because you're getting more for less.

Sure there's reasonable argument about the details of the models and actually calculating the implicit quality changes, but that doesn't make the concept invalid.

Instead of using the official BS to describe inflation, I prefer to use the work of Shadowstats.com. Using the same methodology that the government used in 1980, Shadowstats calculates the current rate of inflation to be near 10%.
Except he doesn't. No one can duplicate his methodology, which he doesn't publish, and BLS studies of the effects of the changes in CPI calulation don't match his claims. And his charts don't make sense....if he's doing what he claims he's doing (and where the hell would he get the raw data from????) it would not match up the same way his does. It looks like all he's doing is adding an arbitrary percent on to the CPI.

If you want alternatives to the CPI, there's MIT's Billion Prices Project and AIeR's Everyday Price Index

Really, though, neither is as comprehensive as the CPI. The BPP is only internet prices and does not include sales tax, while the EPI is essentially a re-working of the CPI based on "everyday items" (excludes housing, cars, appliances, etc).

The BPP tracks about the same as the CPI, while the EPI is a lot higher (around 8% I think) but represents only about a third of consumer spending.

The main thing of course is that the CPI, BPP, and EPI all state what exactly they do to get their numbers. Consumer Price Index (CPI) is full of technical documentation and research papers, and the other 2 also clearly state the source of their data and how they calculate their numbers. Shadowstats does not, and frankly it's not possible for him to be doing what he claims because he has no access to the raw data.

The news comes as markets await Wednesday's Federal Reserve statement on the economy at the end of a two-day meeting of its policy-setting committee. Stocks rose Tuesday in anticipation that the Fed will announce further help for an economy that has shown some signs of slowing.

View attachment 19644

View attachment 19645

View attachment 19646
I wonder how many of those available jobs went down because people filled them?????

Those numbers are just awful in that graph, still way over average for percentage.....and that graph doesn't even include those unemployed so long they have dropped from the numbers used to count the labor force.

View attachment 19644

View attachment 19645

View attachment 19646

Those numbers are just awful in that graph, still way over average for percentage.....and that graph doesn't even include those unemployed so long they have dropped from the numbers used to count the labor force.

Because there's no such thing. There's no maximum time limit to be classified as unemployed. If you're looking for work, you're unemployed...doesn't matter how long.
If you're not looking for work, well, you're not looking for work and therefore not unemployed.

But Ed is a little off in his guessing since hires also went down March-April.

Last edited:
I love people that believe 70k jobs "created" in a month really brought the UE down .1%... These same people don't like looking at the 300,000k people that fell off the ass end of UE that month but yet that 300k number was added to the 70k number to help bring the UE rate down.

At 70k jobs created UE should have gone up… In fact most months the UE rate should have gone up. But when you have an average of something like 250k people falling off the ass end, and you get to add it to the number of “jobs created,” so it’s easy to make the UE rate fall.

It seems very possible we are re-entering the recession we never actually left. Amazing how this was predicted by so many people.

I love people that believe 70k jobs "created" in a month really brought the UE down .1%... These same people don't like looking at the 300,000k people that fell off the ass end of UE that month but yet that 300k number was added to the 70k number to help bring the UE rate down.

At 70k jobs created UE should have gone up… In fact most months the UE rate should have gone up. But when you have an average of something like 250k people falling off the ass end, and you get to add it to the number of “jobs created,” so it’s easy to make the UE rate fall.

"Jobs created" is the net change in non-farm payroll employment (excludes self-employed, unpaid family workers, agriculture), comes from the Current Employment Survey and is not used in any way to calculate Unemployment.Multiple job holders are counted for each job.

The Unemployment rate is Unemployed/(Employed+Unemployed) where Employed is total employed. This data comes from the Current Population Survey. Multiple job holders are counted once.

Jobs can go up while total employment goes down and vice versa because hey are seperate surveys with different samples measuring different things

Republicans in Congress refused to pass any jobs bills in favor of anti abortion bills.

They hope this will win them the election, but it won't.

Housing is finally starting to recover. And this is the last piece of the puzzle.

Republicans in Congress refused to pass any jobs bills in favor of anti abortion bills.

They hope this will win them the election, but it won't.

Housing is finally starting to recover. And this is the last piece of the puzzle.

I see your vacation has not cured you of stupidity. too bad.

Republicans in Congress refused to pass any jobs bills.

Thats because only Republicans in business create real jobs. How on earth can a Republican in Congress create jobs?? You're James Bond, you ought to be able to hit that out of the park??

We're waiting James.

You are actually being dishonest in your representation of what the USA's economic policies over the last few years have done to the value of the dollar.

Endless borrowing and printing of money has caused a ton of inflation for us, I would like to see my govt stop devaluing the dollar through printing and devaluing the wealth of hte entire nation by borrowing.

Nice spin though.

You claim statistics lies, then you present the statistics of Shadow stats, the biggest piece of lying crap every devised for the internet. You lie about the rate of inflation, then call me a liar.

Like drug addicts think everyone else is doing drugs, child abusers think everyone beats their kids, the biggest liars and cheater are the first ones to call other people liars and cheaters.

Nice try, though.

The reason you must go there is that you don't have any actual facts to present.

Year Inflation Rate
2,011 2.96%
2,010 1.50%
2,009 2.72%

And the methodology is transparent and published at

Consumer Price Index (CPI)
Methodology Resources Consumer Price Index

They have address the ShadowStats B.S. at
Common Misconceptions about the Consumer Price Index: Questions and Answers

Honestly you obviously don't understand how the money supply functions or how inflation works. You honestly don't understand how numbers or measurements work. You are clueless about statistics and couldn't calculate a standard deviation if your life depended on it.

Fundamentally, the entire aggregate economy can be described by the equation of exchange, MV=PQ, where M is the total amount of money in circulation, V is the velocity of money, the turn over for that money in a time period, P is the price of goods, and Q is the quantity.

If Q goes up, M must go up for prices to remain the same.

The entire money supply system is dependent upon borrowing by businesses to invest in expansion. As the economy expands, the money supply expands.

You might want to start there.

Or, by all means, keep on living in your deluded world of conspiracies. Then you can claim everyone is out to get you. Perhaps you should look out for the CIA hiding in an unmarked van across the street, beaming micro wave mind control into your house at night while you sleep. I can sell you some microwave attenuation material to surround your bed with.

Republicans in Congress refused to pass any jobs bills.

Thats because only Republicans in business create real jobs. How on earth can a Republican in Congress create jobs?? You're James Bond, you ought to be able to hit that out of the park??

We're waiting James.

Infrastructure spending.

Ever drive on the interstate?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back