Big Three screwed themselves and America

Are you old enough to remember the 70's?

American's - we never learn. :cuckoo:

Let's see....an unpopular war, an oil crisis, inflation, rising interest rates..........IT'S 1974 ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

The Big Three auto makers fought fuel efficiency standards for years and pushed big SUVs and trucks, and now they are going down.

The Associated Press: Bleeding cash, Ford looks to Europe for help

Ahh yes, and Unions demanding 27 dollars an hour for janitors, and Double time Saturdays even when overtime is not needed had nothing to do with it right.

As far as the trucks and SUV's, they were simply making what Americans wanted. Where they failed was in not seeing that Gas was going to sky rocket like it has in the last few years, That I'll give ya.

Ahh yes, and Unions demanding 27 dollars an hour for janitors, and Double time Saturdays even when overtime is not needed had nothing to do with it right.

As far as the trucks and SUV's, they were simply making what Americans wanted. Where they failed was in not seeing that Gas was going to sky rocket like it has in the last few years, That I'll give ya.

Ask yourself how much more was paid in golden parachutes than in union benefits.

The car companies refused to try to compete..... H3, my butt....

Ask yourself how much more was paid in golden parachutes than in union benefits.

The car companies refused to try to compete..... H3, my butt....

I just read a story in the Detroit Free press which says that for every dollar GM makes it spends 50 cents on paying the pensions and Health care costs of retired workers. Clearly that has some effect on how bad they are doing.

Look I am not saying the Big 3 are not at fault, I am just saying there is plenty of blame to go around.

I get tired of people like Kirk that think things are so simple. He acts like the Big 3 are the only ones to blame in this mess. When I see there is much more to it than that.

Last edited:
I just read a story in the Detroit Free press which says that for every dollar GM makes it spends 50 cents on paying the pensions and Health care costs of retired workers. Clearly that has some effect on how bad they are doing.

Look I am not saying the Big 3 are not at fault, I am just saying there is plenty of blame to go around.

I get tired of people like Kirk that think things are so simple. He acts like the Big 3 are the only ones to blame in this mess. When I see there is much more to it than that.

Ignore him--he's a partisan hack who won't look at the big picture.

The Big 3 realized there was more profit in trucks and SUVs than cars, so they started pushing them in their ads. Then they got their lobbyists in Congress to influence the pols to drop fuel efficiency standards. Toyota, on the other hand, was thinking ahead and developing hybrids and being successful using the same American workers.

The Big 3 realized there was more profit in trucks and SUVs than cars, so they started pushing them in their ads. Then they got their lobbyists in Congress to influence the pols to drop fuel efficiency standards. Toyota, on the other hand, was thinking ahead and developing hybrids and being successful using the same American workers.

Not arguing with that kirk, I am simply saying that there is more to it than that. What I see as out of control unrealistic union demands plays a role to if you ask me. If you can not see that 50 cents of every dollar GM makes going out to pay Pensions and Health care of retired workers is part of their problem as well, I can't help you.

Last edited:
Ignore him--he's a partisan hack who won't look at the big picture.

The big picture?

You mean how the big oil and auto companies ignored the larger and larger share of our oil that was coming from foreign countries threatening to turn us into a third world nation?

The big picture?

You mean how the big oil and auto companies ignored the larger and larger share of our oil that was coming from foreign countries threatening to turn us into a third world nation?

I believe we were discussing the Car companies, not the Oil companies. Do try and keep up.

Not arguing with that kirk, I am simply saying that there is more to it than that. What I see as out of control unrealistic union demands plays a role to if you ask me. If you can not see that 50 cents of every dollar GM makes going out to pay Pensions and Health care of retired workers is part of their problem as well, I can't help you.

The unions have nothing to do with the rise in the price of oil, and the fact that the Big 3 ignored fuel efficiency while other manufacturers like Toyota and Honda kept developing fuel efficient cars for the American market.

The unions have nothing to do with the rise in the price of oil, and the fact that the Big 3 ignored fuel efficiency while other manufacturers like Toyota and Honda kept developing fuel efficient cars for the American market.

like duh, no shit, but the title of your thread says the Big 3 screwed themselves and us. I was talking about them, how they are screwed, and losing money like mad. That is because of more than just their unwise decisions. IMO

These nuts don't want to hear economic facts about union and retiree benefits.....they want to hear about those big old evil CEO's and their benefits....
The leftists have them believing that GM and FORD exist for the benefit of the workers and have no other moral purpose....:D

No, we were discussing "the big picture."

Read the post I responded to.

Read the post that post was responding to sherlock. When he said Big picture he was responding directly to me saying you do not see the whole picture of why he big 3 are in so much trouble. Oh nm this is clearly above you.

like duh, no shit, but the title of your thread says the Big 3 screwed themselves and us. I was talking about them, how they are screwed, and losing money like mad. That is because of more than just their unwise decisions. IMO

So you are saying that if they had fuel efficient cars to sell, that they would not be making money because of the unions?

Toyota could hardly give the damn hybreds away before this year....

GM and FORD built and sold what Americans wanted....no one forced people to by trucks and SUV's.....they will adapt if the oil disappears, ... will you?

So you are saying that if they had fuel efficient cars to sell, that they would not be making money because of the unions?

No, I am sure they would be selling more cars if they had more fuel efficient cars, but that would not change the fact that they are shelling butt loads out for labor, and for Pensions and health care for retired workers.

I mean why do you think they keep sending Jobs over seas? If not because of high labor costs, and Retired worker costs, then why.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back