Beyond stupid: florida court declares it's illegal to grow food in your own front yard

Did you look at the actual footage of their home?

Nope. don't care to. The people in that neighborhood decided to zone it, "Not a fucking hillbilly farm".

But you'll whine about the mean old government.

So as usual you have no idea what you're talking about.

what is inaccurate about what he said? the home is irrelevant. there is a lawful zoning measure that was passed. what is your issue?

the o/p's article was a little bizarre

If communities can control how high you can have your front lawn they can keep you from having a cornfield in front of your house

You don't know if anyone complained as there was no mention of it in the article. The couple's lawyer also did not mention that anyone complained so you are assuming facts not in evidence.

This is a few assholes in a small town telling people what they should do. It's no wonder you agree with them as they are your kind of people

These are people who don't want hillbillies bringing down their property values.

Lemme guess: you live in a HOA where all houses are the same color, all landscaping has to be identical, and you go around measuring grass height with a ruler every week.

Actually, I live in a Condo, and there are a whole bunch of rules about what I can and can't keep on my porch area...

Before that, I lived in a town where we had a "Department of Blight" that went around writing up citations for junk in your front lawn and rickety porches.

Yeah it's the assholes like you with a pathological need to tell everyone what to do that bothers me.

Mind your own fucking business and I'll mind mine

It's when your business interferes in mine that I have a problem.

You now, like when you bring down my property value because you want to live like a hillbilly.
That garden wasn't interfering with anyone.

and that yard was well tended and quite visually interesting I bet it was better kept than your patch of weeds you call a lawn

No one on this planet calls a home vegetable garden a farm. And quite frankly it's none of your fucking business if someone has a vegetable garden
Call it what you like but understand that what you do on your parcel of land has an affect on the community as a whole. The community decided to make it their business.

They had that garden for 17 years. So why all of a sudden is it anyone else's business?

This is the purest fucking bullshit I have ever seen and quite frankly is one of the reasons this country is halfway down the fucking shitter
I don't know the history of the ordinance. What I know is that there is one and these people are in violation of it.

I don't necessarily agree with it but I am not their neighbors.

I take it that you don't much care for representative democracy? I find it difficult to believe that the country is in the crapper due to a ban on front yard gardens in Miami Shores.

If you can't recognize government overstep then you won't notice when it's your rights that get trampled on.

There is absolutely no good reason to ban people from growing vegetables in their yard
The reasons have already been stated in this thread. Appearances and money. I agree with you, they don't represent my values, but this is the society we live in. This is how the majority of people in this country think. Eliminating government, if that is your belief, does nothing to address the problem. It is not a problem of government overstep, it is a problem of your values not being aligned with the rest of the community.
The zoning board is hardly the community.

None of their neighbors seemed to have a problem with it from what I could find

Did you look at the actual footage of their home?

Nope. don't care to. The people in that neighborhood decided to zone it, "Not a fucking hillbilly farm".

But you'll whine about the mean old government.

So as usual you have no idea what you're talking about.

what is inaccurate about what he said? the home is irrelevant. there is a lawful zoning measure that was passed. what is your issue?

the o/p's article was a little bizarre

There was no legitimate reason for zoning change. Their neighbors weren't complaining. In fact if the news articles I have read were correct the neighbors complimented the couple on their yard.

So they can grow all the fruits they want in the front yard just not vegetables and you can't see the idiocy in the law

When I first met my husband he use to have a vegetable garden in his backyard. He grew cucumbers, tomatoes and potatoes. Although it was nice to have fresh veggies, the backyard looked like a jungle.

It's an eyesore to have it grown on the the front yard.

Call it what you like but understand that what you do on your parcel of land has an affect on the community as a whole. The community decided to make it their business.

They had that garden for 17 years. So why all of a sudden is it anyone else's business?

This is the purest fucking bullshit I have ever seen and quite frankly is one of the reasons this country is halfway down the fucking shitter
I don't know the history of the ordinance. What I know is that there is one and these people are in violation of it.

I take it that you don't much care for representative democracy? I find it difficult to believe that the country is in the crapper due to a ban on front yard gardens in Miami Shores.

If you can't recognize government overstep then you won't notice when it's your rights that get trampled on.

There is absolutely no good reason to ban people from growing vegetables in their yard
The reasons have already been stated in this thread. Appearances and money. I agree with you, they don't represent my values, but this is the society we live in. This is how the majority of people in this country think. Eliminating government, if that is your belief, does nothing to address the problem. It is not a problem of government overstep, it is a problem of your values not being aligned with the rest of the community.

The zoning board represents the community.

How would this difference of opinion regarding front yard gardens be resolved without government and law?

A court in Florida has decided that homeowners do not, in fact, have the right to garden on their own property. While the court says flower gardens and fruit trees are acceptable horticultural pursuits for a front yard, for some reason vegetables are non-negotiable. Leave it to big government to make it illegal for property owners to grow their own food, on their own land.
Beyond stupid: Florida court declares it's ILLEGAL to grow food in your own front yard

Well the leftist thugs get off on auhoratarianenforcement which was implemented into action during Bush and that A.H. Obama

Was this neighborhood zoned for farming? OH, wait, no, it wasn't.

sorry, I live in a neighborhood, the last think I want is Hillbilly Bob done growing him some vittles in the front yard and making us all look bad.

Let him tie up a hog in his front yard

who wants a fucking corn field on the front yard next to your house.....you have a back yard,use it....

depends on the property-----some houses have lots more land in front than in back ------or on the side. I find the law OUTRAGEOUS-----but I did grow up in an idiot town in north east USA----that could easily pass such a law. ALL OF FLORIDA----or just some single town ordinance?

That garden wasn't interfering with anyone.

and that yard was well tended and quite visually interesting I bet it was better kept than your patch of weeds you call a lawn

Again, I live in a Condo and I pay a maintenance fee to keep the lawns up.

The people in the neighborhood though differently about Ma and Pa Kettle's Vittels Garden.

The neighbors didn't complain.

If you bothered to learn a little bit about the situation you wouldn't sound like such a fucking idiot.

When I first met my husband he use to have a vegetable garden in his backyard. He grew cucumbers, tomatoes and potatoes. Although it was nice to have fresh veggies, the backyard looked like a jungle.

It's an eyesore to have it grown on the the front yard.
Did you even see this couple's front yard?

It was well tended unlike your husband's garden

The zoning board represents the community.

How would this difference of opinion regarding front yard gardens be resolved without government and law?

The neighbors didn't have any complaints so why did the zoning idiots pass the ruling?

There was absolutely no reason for what they did.

The neighbors didn't complain.

well, somebody did. Did you think it was the Lawn Police?

The neighbors didn't have any complaints so why did the zoning idiots pass the ruling?

There was absolutely no reason for what they did.

Um, yeah, there was a rule, and Ma and Pa Kettle violated it.
There was no mention of any complaints in any of the articles I read and you didn't read. You just assume there was.

and they had that garden for 17 years long before any idiotic zoning board ruling

There was no mention of any complaints in any of the articles I read and you didn't read. You just assume there was.

and they had that garden for 17 years long before any idiotic zoning board ruling

And maybe someone finally got sick of all the rabbits and other vermin that their garden was attracting.

Or it was just an eyesore that looked bad.

Forum List

Back