Beyond stupid: florida court declares it's illegal to grow food in your own front yard

Done seen it time after time after time. There are communities that people had grew up in back in the day, that they can't even revisit due to safety reasons in those communities now. I road through an old community I had grew up in way back in the day, and it was a community teaming with life back then, kids playing in the streets, riding mini bikes, go carts, fishing in the local ponds, swimming in the local ponds, walking, jogging, but after government targeted the area for placing poor people into the residency's there, and this after many had gotten old and died leaving their places vulnerable to this new idea that was concocted and conducted by the government, you now ride through and see no trespassing signs nailed to many trees in the front yards, bad roads, grass or weed covered sidewalks, run down homes etc.

Yes, I've seen it, but what you leave out is the reason why the poor folks move in is not because "the government" is moving in "those people", it's that the people who lived their, or their children, moved out.

They moved out to a suburb with a bigger house and a bigger yard. And when Mom finally kicked the bucket, her old house was just something to be disposed of along with all her other accumulated junk.

That's what happened to the house my grandparents bought when they immigrated here from Germany back in the 30's, and that's what happened to the house I grew up in, and that's what is probably going to happen to the houses me and my siblings live in now.
. Your right, but the problem is that the government saw these areas and places available, and it said Hmmmm, I know what we can do, and that is to rent these houses from who ever owns them, and we can place these people in them regardless of who these people are, and why they might be having it tough.

Then it just sends the check to the owners mail box where that owner could give a crap less about the area anymore, or about the goings on in there or the elder people who are stuck because they never imagined the area would go bad like that... What's a shame is that it's all due to the government moving people into the areas that make it not only bad afterwards, but downright dangerous to live in.

Hey, the new inheritance owners or the former owners who might have hit it big couldn't refuse a deal like that from the government, and besides that, they can't see it from their new house or community anymore right ?? After witnessing old folks being abused by their neighborhoods going bad, and it happening at the hands of their own government was a sickening thing.. I will say that the government was wrong for doing what it did, and then Obama was trying to double down on it all ?? There is a special place in hell for those who would sell out or had sold out their communities and/or neighborhoods over to government control, and then watching as the government turns their old communities into no go zones, and danger zones that creates poverty sprawl from hell. When will the nation get a clue about the creeping destruction of a government empowered to destroy this nation bit by bit by bit in these ways ??

They had that garden for 17 fucking years and a garden is NOT a farm.

And really tell me how much the property values in a neighborhood decrease because the nice old couple grows some vegetables in their yard

Well, it looks fucking tacky, that's the point. Affluent neighborhoods are aflluent because people do keep their lawns up...

First way you can tell a shitty neighborhood from a good one, is what the lawns look like.
. Why are you kind of idiotic on the issues ? They are grandfathered in, so who ever the idiots are that complained, well they are the ones in the wrong. Hey if you don't like old people then just say so.

They had that garden for 17 fucking years and a garden is NOT a farm.

And really tell me how much the property values in a neighborhood decrease because the nice old couple grows some vegetables in their yard

Well, it looks fucking tacky, that's the point. Affluent neighborhoods are aflluent because people do keep their lawns up...

First way you can tell a shitty neighborhood from a good one, is what the lawns look like.
Did you look at the actual footage of their home?

That is not an upscale neighborhood and they have lived there for 17 years

Their yard is small but well tended and quite frankly more interesting than a plain old patch of crabgrass

Your right, but the problem is that the government saw these areas and places available, and it said Hmmmm, I know what we can do, and that is to rent these houses from who ever owns them, and we can place these people in them regardless of who these people are, and why they might be having it tough.

Guy, the thing was, those neighborhoods became undesirable before the poor people moved in, that was my point, but you want to blame the poor people.

You know, instead of fixing the problem of poverty to start with.

Why are you kind of idiotic on the issues ? They are grandfathered in, so who ever the idiots are that complained, well they are the ones in the wrong. Hey if you don't like old people then just say so.

well, no, the town rezoned the neighbor as "not a fucking farm".

these old folks don't like it, they can go buy a farm, if they want.

No one on this planet calls a home vegetable garden a farm. And quite frankly it's none of your fucking business if someone has a vegetable garden
Call it what you like but understand that what you do on your parcel of land has an affect on the community as a whole. The community decided to make it their business.

They had that garden for 17 years. So why all of a sudden is it anyone else's business?

This is the purest fucking bullshit I have ever seen and quite frankly is one of the reasons this country is halfway down the fucking shitter
I don't know the history of the ordinance. What I know is that there is one and these people are in violation of it.

I don't necessarily agree with it but I am not their neighbors.

I take it that you don't much care for representative democracy? I find it difficult to believe that the country is in the crapper due to a ban on front yard gardens in Miami Shores.

A court in Florida has decided that homeowners do not, in fact, have the right to garden on their own property. While the court says flower gardens and fruit trees are acceptable horticultural pursuits for a front yard, for some reason vegetables are non-negotiable. Leave it to big government to make it illegal for property owners to grow their own food, on their own land.
Beyond stupid: Florida court declares it's ILLEGAL to grow food in your own front yard

Well the leftist thugs get off on auhoratarianenforcement which was implemented into action during Bush and that A.H. Obama

you should probably read what real journalism on this subject looks like.

Under a zoning ordinance tightened last spring, residents in Miami Shores are not allowed to have vegetable gardens in their front yards. In August, Ricketts went before the town's code enforcement board to protest, but board Chairman Robert Vickers was less than sympathetic.

The board ruled the vegetables must go. The zoning inspector told Ricketts which plants she had to pull up. She complied, but wasn't done with her fight.

In Florida, A Turf War Blooms Over Front-Yard Vegetable Gardening

the COURT was not the problem. the COURT upheld a zoning regulation. it is not the place of that particular court to strike down such an ordinance, lawfully passed in the district,

I applaud your alleged defense of constitutional rights. I hope you are as strong in your convictions when defending mine. but growing vegetables is not a constitutional right and it is unlikely the courts will strike down a lawfully passed zoning ordinance.

No one on this planet calls a home vegetable garden a farm. And quite frankly it's none of your fucking business if someone has a vegetable garden
Call it what you like but understand that what you do on your parcel of land has an affect on the community as a whole. The community decided to make it their business.

They had that garden for 17 years. So why all of a sudden is it anyone else's business?

This is the purest fucking bullshit I have ever seen and quite frankly is one of the reasons this country is halfway down the fucking shitter
I don't know the history of the ordinance. What I know is that there is one and these people are in violation of it.

I take it that you don't much care for representative democracy? I find it difficult to believe that the country is in the crapper due to a ban on front yard gardens in Miami Shores.

If you can't recognize government overstep then you won't notice when it's your rights that get trampled on.

There is absolutely no good reason to ban people from growing vegetables in their yard

No, you see, the problem with Skully and other LiberTards is they think our biggest problem is people telling them what to do.

Yeah it's the assholes like you with a pathological need to tell everyone what to do that bothers me.

Mind your own fucking business and I'll mind mine

So as usual you have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't have to, the people in the neighborhood complained, and the department that handles these complaints said, "Yup, that looks pretty shitty.

You don't know if anyone complained as there was no mention of it in the article. The couple's lawyer also did not mention that anyone complained so you are assuming facts not in evidence.

This is a few assholes in a small town telling people what they should do. It's no wonder you agree with them as they are your kind of people

A court in Florida has decided that homeowners do not, in fact, have the right to garden on their own property. While the court says flower gardens and fruit trees are acceptable horticultural pursuits for a front yard, for some reason vegetables are non-negotiable. Leave it to big government to make it illegal for property owners to grow their own food, on their own land.
Beyond stupid: Florida court declares it's ILLEGAL to grow food in your own front yard

Well the leftist thugs get off on auhoratarianenforcement which was implemented into action during Bush and that A.H. Obama

Was this neighborhood zoned for farming? OH, wait, no, it wasn't.

sorry, I live in a neighborhood, the last think I want is Hillbilly Bob done growing him some vittles in the front yard and making us all look bad.
Here we have the busybody neighbor...he spends his days peering through lace curtains, hoping to find something so he can run to the phone and tattletale.

well, yeah, it is if I live in a community where we have zoning.

I don't want to live next to Hillbilly Bob and his home farm in his front yard, thanks...

It brings down my property value.
Lemme guess: you live in a HOA where all houses are the same color, all landscaping has to be identical, and you go around measuring grass height with a ruler every week.

If you can't recognize government overstep then you won't notice when it's your rights that get trampled on.

There is absolutely no good reason to ban people from growing vegetables in their yard
The reasons have already been stated in this thread. Appearances and money. I agree with you, they don't represent my values, but this is the society we live in. This is how the majority of people in this country think. Eliminating government, if that is your belief, does nothing to address the problem. It is not a problem of government overstep, it is a problem of your values not being aligned with the rest of the community.

Forum List

Back