Beyond stupid: florida court declares it's illegal to grow food in your own front yard

There was no mention of any complaints in any of the articles I read and you didn't read. You just assume there was.

and they had that garden for 17 years long before any idiotic zoning board ruling

And maybe someone finally got sick of all the rabbits and other vermin that their garden was attracting.

Or it was just an eyesore that looked bad.

No one complained. I don't know how many times I have to say it.

And it wasn't an eyesore, I saw the video footage of their yard you didn't

so we have you just making shit up again

I don't know the history of the ordinance. What I know is that there is one and these people are in violation of it.

I don't necessarily agree with it but I am not their neighbors.

I take it that you don't much care for representative democracy? I find it difficult to believe that the country is in the crapper due to a ban on front yard gardens in Miami Shores.

If you can't recognize government overstep then you won't notice when it's your rights that get trampled on.

There is absolutely no good reason to ban people from growing vegetables in their yard
The reasons have already been stated in this thread. Appearances and money. I agree with you, they don't represent my values, but this is the society we live in. This is how the majority of people in this country think. Eliminating government, if that is your belief, does nothing to address the problem. It is not a problem of government overstep, it is a problem of your values not being aligned with the rest of the community.
The zoning board is hardly the community.

None of their neighbors seemed to have a problem with it from what I could find
The zoning board represents the community.

How would this difference of opinion regarding front yard gardens be resolved without government and law?

The neighbors didn't have any complaints so why did the zoning idiots pass the ruling?

There was absolutely no reason for what they did.

d. To protect property values and the enjoyment of property rights by minimizing and reducing conflicts among various land uses through the application of regulations designed to assure harmonious relationships among land uses;
https://www.miamishoresvillage.com/...write-2012/Rewrite-Zoning-Code-02-01-2013.pdf

It's also various neighborhoods which have certain rules, like in some places you can't have a fence in the front yard or paint your house a certain color, for example black.

I think it does infringe on homeowners' rights, but I don't think this is a right/left issue.

It's also various neighborhoods which have certain rules, like in some places you can't have a fence in the front yard or paint your house a certain color, for example black.

I think it does infringe on homeowners' rights, but I don't think this is a right/left issue.
Those are neighborhoods run by a homeowners association.
IMO Anyone who buys a house where there is an HOA is a complete idiot or a sheep who likes to be told what to do

If you can't recognize government overstep then you won't notice when it's your rights that get trampled on.

There is absolutely no good reason to ban people from growing vegetables in their yard
The reasons have already been stated in this thread. Appearances and money. I agree with you, they don't represent my values, but this is the society we live in. This is how the majority of people in this country think. Eliminating government, if that is your belief, does nothing to address the problem. It is not a problem of government overstep, it is a problem of your values not being aligned with the rest of the community.
The zoning board is hardly the community.

None of their neighbors seemed to have a problem with it from what I could find
The zoning board represents the community.

How would this difference of opinion regarding front yard gardens be resolved without government and law?

The neighbors didn't have any complaints so why did the zoning idiots pass the ruling?

There was absolutely no reason for what they did.

d. To protect property values and the enjoyment of property rights by minimizing and reducing conflicts among various land uses through the application of regulations designed to assure harmonious relationships among land uses;
https://www.miamishoresvillage.com/...write-2012/Rewrite-Zoning-Code-02-01-2013.pdf

There were no conflicts that were reported.

and those people had that garden for 17 years I'm sure people bought and sold houses in that time so tell me how much money did those home owners who sold lose because of the nice old couple's garden.

You say all this crap about property values but give absolutely no proof that the very well tended garden of one couple actually reduced property values for the entire neighborhood

IMO Anyone who buys a house where there is an HOA is a complete idiot or a sheep who likes to be told what to do
Sometimes you don't have a choice unless you want to live way out in the country, but I'm not crazy about homeowners' associations either.

Sometimes you don't have a choice unless you want to live way out in the country, but I'm not crazy about homeowners' associations either.

There are plenty of places to live without Nosy Neighbor Associations that are not way out in the country

There are plenty of places to live without Nosy Neighbor Associations that are not way out in the country
But still a little out of the way, off the beaten path. I think I know what you mean.

most people don't mind their HOA's. I'd think it depends on what you're used to. I've lived in co-ops most of my life. We have co-op boards. they can be annoying, but ultimately they're ok.

who wants a fucking corn field on the front yard next to your house.....you have a back yard,use it....

Pesticides and fertilizer in ground water are not needed. No cite to a case, I will try to find it. Nor anything about variances, special exceptiions, the article appears incomplete.

One town, with an ordinance, from photos you can see the metal that those using the sidewalk in front of the home must navigate. Gardens are for back yards:

Predictably, the claim aused widespread outrage on social media due in part to the growing popularity of vegetable gardens and local produce. The rumor was condensed to conclude that a precedent enabling the banning of independent vegetable growth throughout Florida (or all of the U.S.) had been set by a judge because such gardens are unsightly, and that Miami Shores officials wished for all vegetable gardens to be replaced with grass.

The “tyrannical” tale also made it to the Miami Herald, which presented a more balanced version of events to readers. As it turned out, Carroll and Ricketts weren’t prohibited “by the government” from growing any and all vegetables; rather, the Miami Shores jurisdiction simply stipulates, as part of local landscaping codes, that such gardens should not be placed in the front yards of homes:

A Miami-Dade judge on [25 August 2016] upheld the village’s much-maligned ordinance banning the practice. In a 10-page ruling filled with legal analysis on the definition of vegetables, Circuit Judge Monica Gordo acknowledged she wasn’t quite sure how the gardens ruin the aesthetics of a neighborhood [but] she got to the root of the law: Miami Shores still has every right to decide front-yard veggies make a neighborhood ugly.

“Given the high degree of deference that must be given to a democratically elected governmental body … Miami Shores’ ban on vegetable gardens outside of the backyard passes constitutional scrutiny,” Gordo wrote.

The upscale village in Northeast Miami-Dade has long insisted it had every right to regulate the look of the community. At a hearing in June, the village’s attorney said vegetable gardens are fine in Miami Shores, as long as they remain out of sight in the backyard.

“There is no vegetable ban in Miami Shores,” village attorney Richard Sarafan told the judge. “It’s a farce. A ruse.”

Judge Gordo agreed, saying that the village was well within its rights. She noted that Ricketts and Carroll weren’t without options.

Code regulations in Miami Shores Village (Division 17, Sec. 536[e]) pertaining to landscaping state that “Vegetable gardens are permitted in rear yards only.”

It is true that a Miami Shores couple fought and lost a court battle with the village to retain their front-yard vegetable garden, but the court’s decision in no way “banned vegetable gardens,” much less constituted a sweeping ruling applicable anywhere outside Miami Shores. A local judge simply sided with Miami Shores Village in ruling that the jurisdiction had a right to enforce extant landscaping codes, which permit vegetable gardens in rear yards but not front ones. The couple involved were not prohibited from growing vegetables, simply from doing so in the front yard.

The rumor about a vegetable garden ban was one of several that severely distort local controversies over individual management of personal resources such as food and water to suggest the government is hostile to rugged individualists. A similar distortion asserted a man was arrested for collecting rainwater, and another inaccurately claimed Michigan repealed its “Right to Farm Act” (and presumably the right to farm along with it).

Vote in pro front yard vegetable gardening advocates, the law can be changed.

A court in Florida has decided that homeowners do not, in fact, have the right to garden on their own property. While the court says flower gardens and fruit trees are acceptable horticultural pursuits for a front yard, for some reason vegetables are non-negotiable. Leave it to big government to make it illegal for property owners to grow their own food, on their own land.
Beyond stupid: Florida court declares it's ILLEGAL to grow food in your own front yard

Well the leftist thugs get off on auhoratarianenforcement which was implemented into action during Bush and that A.H. Obama

While you were busy trying to lay blame for this on leftists, I thought I'd go look up the Florida Third District Court of Appeals where this case was heard. Here are the active judges, and the people who appointed them:

Name Tenure Appointing Governor
Kevin Emas 2010- Charlie Crist
Ivan F. Fernandez 2011- Rick Scott
Barbara Lagoa 2006- Jeb Bush
Thomas Logue 2012- Rick Scott
Leslie B. Rothenberg 2005- Jeb Bush
Vance E. Salter 2007- Charlie Crist
Edwin A. Scales, III 2013- Rick Scott
Frank A. Shepherd 2003- Jeb Bush
Richard J. Suarez 2004- Jeb Bush
Linda Ann Wells 2003- Jeb Bush

Sorry MW, but there ain't a leftist in the bunch, these are your own Right Wing defenders of conservative values, appointed by your very own Right Wing governors.
And the "trying to blame it on Obama" gambit fails in the extreme.

A court in Florida has decided that homeowners do not, in fact, have the right to garden on their own property. While the court says flower gardens and fruit trees are acceptable horticultural pursuits for a front yard, for some reason vegetables are non-negotiable. Leave it to big government to make it illegal for property owners to grow their own food, on their own land.
Beyond stupid: Florida court declares it's ILLEGAL to grow food in your own front yard

Well the leftist thugs get off on auhoratarianenforcement which was implemented into action during Bush and that A.H. Obama

While you were busy trying to lay blame for this on leftists, I thought I'd go look up the Florida Third District Court of Appeals where this case was heard. Here are the active judges, and the people who appointed them:

Name Tenure Appointing Governor
Kevin Emas 2010- Charlie Crist
Ivan F. Fernandez 2011- Rick Scott
Barbara Lagoa 2006- Jeb Bush
Thomas Logue 2012- Rick Scott
Leslie B. Rothenberg 2005- Jeb Bush
Vance E. Salter 2007- Charlie Crist
Edwin A. Scales, III 2013- Rick Scott
Frank A. Shepherd 2003- Jeb Bush
Richard J. Suarez 2004- Jeb Bush
Linda Ann Wells 2003- Jeb Bush

Sorry MW, but there ain't a leftist in the bunch, these are your own Right Wing defenders of conservative values, appointed by your very own Right Wing governors.
And the "trying to blame it on Obama" gambit fails in the extreme.

Sorry go learn about AGENDA 21 leftist asses are the ones who engineer the bs. and those little ole REP. you got going on there are FAKE REPUBLICANS better kn own as RHINOS.. so try again.

Forum List

Back