Zone1 Best Version of the Bible and Why?

In 1862, after spending a month in Chimborazo Hospital in Richmond, Virginia, Scofield successfully petitioned for a discharge.

Scofield then returned to Lebanon, TN and was conscripted again into Confederate service. Ordered to McMinnville, Tennessee, Scofield deserted and escaped behind Union lines in Bowling Green, Kentucky. After taking the Union oath of allegiance, Scofield was allowed safe passage to St. Louis, Missouri, where he settled.

Lawyer and politician

In 1866, he married Leontine LeBeau Cerrè, a member of a prominent French Catholic family in St. Louis.[6] Scofield apprenticed in the law office of his brother-in-law and then worked in the St. Louis assessor's office before moving to Atchison, Kansas, in late 1869. In 1871, Scofield was elected to the Kansas House of Representatives, first from Atchison for one year and then from Nemaha County, for a second.

In 1873 he worked for the election of John J. Ingalls as senator from Kansas, and when Ingalls won, the new senator had Scofield appointed U. S. District Attorney for Kansas—at 29, the youngest in the country.

Nevertheless, that same year Scofield was forced to resign "under a cloud of scandal" because of questionable financial transactions, which may have included accepting bribes from railroads, stealing political contributions intended for Ingalls, and securing bank promissory notes by forging signatures. It is possible Scofield was jailed on forgery charges, although there is no extant evidence in the public records.
Yes, that’s what I read also. It didn’t support what you claimed.

Yes, that’s what I read also. It didn’t support what you claimed.

When John Hagee, the founder of Christians United for Israel (CUFI), said that “50 million evangelical bible-believing Christians unite with five million American Jews standing together on behalf of Israel,” it was the Scofield Bible that he was talking about.

Although the Scofield Reference Bible contains the text of the King James Authorized Version, it is not the traditional Protestant bible but Cyrus I. Scofield’s annotated commentary that is problematic. More than any other factor, it is Scofield’s notes that have induced generations of American evangelicals to believe that God demands their uncritical support for the modern State of Israel.

When John Hagee, the founder of Christians United for Israel (CUFI), said that “50 million evangelical bible-believing Christians unite with five million American Jews standing together on behalf of Israel,” it was the Scofield Bible that he was talking about.

Although the Scofield Reference Bible contains the text of the King James Authorized Version, it is not the traditional Protestant bible but Cyrus I. Scofield’s annotated commentary that is problematic. More than any other factor, it is Scofield’s notes that have induced generations of American evangelicals to believe that God demands their uncritical support for the modern State of Israel.
So… It’s a Bible, along with a guy talking about the Bible?

I’m confused. Is that the felony?

Forgery.

Samuel Untermyer hired Scofield to promote Christian Zionism.
Yes, he committed forgery. Then he became a Christian. I don’t know that he was convicted of a felony.

Other than writing about the Bible, what were his crimes after becoming a Christian?

Is it really such a stretch to interpret the king James version as a reason to support Israel? For that matter, is it a stretch to support believing the Bible prophecy that Israel would return due to the fact that Israel has, you know, returned?

Yes, he committed forgery. Then he became a Christian. I don’t know that he was convicted of a felony.

Other than writing about the Bible, what were his crimes after becoming a Christian?

Is it really such a stretch to interpret the king James version as a reason to support Israel? For that matter, is it a stretch to support believing the Bible prophecy that Israel would return due to the fact that Israel has, you know, returned?

What prophecy?

What prophecy?
So, anyway…

Several post of thread, I said what I would like to find is a Bible with annotations. They are on the same page. This Schofield Bible, seems to fit the bill, so I thank you for recommending it.

So, anyway…

Several post of thread, I said what I would like to find is a Bible with annotations. They are on the same page. This Schofield Bible, seems to fit the bill, so I thank you for recommending it.

I think Ezekiel is referring to the ingathering of the Jews after the Babylonian exile.

So, anyway…

She only likes bits and pieces of the Bible, she twists it to fit her very own version of the Bible.

I think Ezekiel is referring to the ingathering of the Jews after the Babylonian exile.
Could be, but quite a co-ink-e-dink that Scofield in 1917, interprets it as a coming return of Israel 🇮🇱 and 30 years later, it happens.

She only likes bits and pieces of the Bible, she twists it to fit her very own version of the Bible.
A common human failing, but she is so rude about it.

The Bible is like our Constitution, it's a confirming document that keeps us on the straight and narrow. Also, it helps to write stuff down as there is way too much for us to remember. It's also a history book that tells us where we've been and reveals where we're going. It's the uniform body of knowledge central to our faith.

the 4th century christian bible is written by the crucifiers, nutz - than those who gave their lives in repudiation of judaism, their false commandments, hereditary idolatry et al as a religion of servitude and denial they have maintained in the christian bible ...

the opposite of liberation theology, self determination the true events of the 1st century no where found in any of the three desert religions.

the reversal of hope engineered by the heavens from the time of noah and its untimely reversal, the closing scene and death made certain for their unjust cause those that prevailed and live without justice to this day.

God has protected the Bible to a large extent, but not fully. There are errors, some incidental, some deliberate. God has also hidden some stuff that requires serious study to understand. Also noteworthy is that the Bible is the history and the prophecies concerning Israel, and the church. It is not the business of anyone else.
Well, I am a Catholic and I disagree, wholly disagree. And before you say it, I became Catholic because I saw the errror of your way of thinking. The BIble is the Word of God. The whole thing goes without an infallible guide to what is and is not trustworthy and of course that is where you contradict yourself: IF it has error and has Truth too then without infallible guide to the difference the whole thing goes.

Even Mark Twain saw the silliness of this argument :

1712833669254.png

Isaiah 7:14 is about Hezekiah, not Jesus.
YOU ARE TRIPLY WRONG
1)It is about both
2)It would not make much sense if the prophecy were only intended for the time of Hezekiah !! Your approach elminates every person in Isreael except whoever knew of the prophecy of Isaiah
3) Why would the Jews of Jesus time not know what you know ??? For Matthew is a Jew as were all the Apostles!!! (Not to mention that
"many of the church Fathers clearly stated that the Sadducees only accepted the Book of Moses as canonical. According to these Christian sources, the Sadducees rejected all other writings as Holy Scripture.")

The Darbyites based their futuristic version of Revelation on the dream of a teenage girl in Scotland.
We can thank Darby for "Dispensationalism". Which points to the idea that the Bible has created more division and more idiocy within the Christian religion than it has ever tried to unify.

We can thank Darby for "Dispensationalism". Which points to the idea that the Bible has created more division and more idiocy within the Christian religion than it has ever tried to unify.
You show your ignorance of all points of your statement, but I will concentrate on your ever-present illogicality
THe Bible had no currency among the great majority of people for 500 years !!!

The unity was the Church

Sorry, but this idea that a couple years after the Resurrection everyone had gone to Barnes & Noble and got their Bibles,marks you as the
time-honored MORON :)

You show your ignorance of all points of your statement, but I will concentrate on your ever-present illogicality

The unity was the Church

Sorry, but this idea that a couple years after the Resurrection everyone had gone to Barnes & Noble and got their Bibles,marks you as the
Huh... I think we are on the same page. Did you mis quote the wrong person? I argue that the early church HAD NO BIBLE, weren't commanded to form a Bible, ascribe super natural characteristics to a "bible", etc., therefore, why do current Christians need this library of letters tied to the Jewish Torah... we don't. Or is your comment so poorly written, that I have misinterpreted your comment?

I have read the Bible straight through 5 or 6 times. It's fascinating. I also follow archaeology. ... Israel Finkelstein is a favorite. The Bible isn't history or science.. it's a teaching narrative. Didactic literature. Some poetry and laws ...some fables to illustrate a truth.

You read the Bible anyway you like. The storytellers borrowed from older cultures around them because they were morality tales.

YOU ARE TRIPLY WRONG
1)It is about both
2)It would not make much sense if the prophecy were only intended for the time of Hezekiah !! Your approach elminates every person in Isreael except whoever knew of the prophecy of Isaiah
3) Why would the Jews of Jesus time not know what you know ??? For Matthew is a Jew as were all the Apostles!!! (Not to mention that
"many of the church Fathers clearly stated that the Sadducees only accepted the Book of Moses as canonical. According to these Christian sources, the Sadducees rejected all other writings as Holy Scripture.")
Isaiah and Hosea are not about Jesus. Christians borrowed from them to "prove" Jesus was the Messiah. I don't think it was necessary, but they must have.

The unity was the Church

Darby based his beliefs on the dreams of a teenaged girl. He invented the rapture, domnionism and dispensation around 1930.

I have read the Bible straight through 5 or 6 times. It's fascinating. I also follow archaeology. ... Israel Finkelstein is a favorite. The Bible isn't history or science.. it's a teaching narrative. Didactic literature. Some poetry and laws ...some fables to illustrate a truth.

You read the Bible anyway you like. The storytellers borrowed from older cultures around them because they were morality tales.

Your god is a false one. A God cannot be a God without super natural abilities.

Forum List

Back