Zone1 Best Version of the Bible and Why?

“But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.” (Matthew 5:22, KJV)

"But what I tell you is this: Anyone who nurses anger against his brother shall be brought to judgment. If he abuses his brother he must answer for it to the court; if he sneers at him he will have to answer for it in the fires of hell." (Matthew 5:22, NEB)

“Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good. For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.” (Isaiah 7:14 KJV)

"Therefor the Lord himself will give you a sign; a young woman is with child, and she will bear a son, and will call him Immanuel. By the time he has learnt to reject evil and choose good he will be eating curds and honey: before that child has leant to reject evil and choose good desolation will come upon the land before whose two kings you cower now." (Isaiah 7:14 NEB)

See what I mean?

Isaiah 7:14 is about Hezekiah, not Jesus.

Thanks I’ll try both of your top two.

I had asked earlier on this forum, where the information about the end times, the rapture, the tribulation, etc. was in the Bible. Someone said it came from how Hal Lindsey‘s work. I read his first book, and it did sound exactly like what I was taught in Baptist Church as a teenager in the 70s.

I read his book Satan is alive and well on planet Earth as a teenager, and my grandmother, who did not go to the same church, did not like me reading it. But just based on the title, she probably thought it was Satan worship or something.

I want to read for myself how accurate Lindsey’s take on the prophesy is.

Hal Lindsey borrowed it from felon Cyrus Scofield and the Darbyites.

We don't HAVE to do anything. I'll be the first person to say there are excellent lessons to live by in the Bible but an open mind, eyes and spirit are critical. There are things you "can't no know" and ultimately, your relationship with God is personal
Yabut, I'm the curious sort. When something doesn't seem to make sense I dive into a study of it.

Manifest Unmanliness

Why didn't those who witnessed the "miracles" fight to save Jesus from crucifixion? The way they and even the Apostles ran and hid proves that there weren't any miracles. Certainly, if Jesus had proved he was God in such an obvious way and promised eternal life, his cult had nothing to lose by fighting the Romans and the High Priests.

Second, with all the miracles in Egypt, there's no way the Hebrews would have worshipped a Golden Calf if the plagues on the Egyptians and the opening of the Red Sea had really happened.

As for those sacrificing themselves in the Roman Coliseum, they were escapists who had nothing to live for except the delusion of eternal Heaven.

The Exodus is another foundation myth. The Jews weren't in Egypt proper. Egypt was in Canaan for 400 years.

Considering that the KJV was written prior to the discovery of text that were older than manuscripts the KJV was written from, the KJV is not the best version.
Those manuscripts and the KJV are pretty much in agreement.

Yep. I don't read anywhere in the Bible, that Jesus said Christians need to read and believe in the Bible, nor do I read in the Bible where the Bible says that one needs to believe in the Bible. But, here we are.

If the first Century Christians didn't need a Bible to be saved and understand doctrine, than why would Christians today need it?
Jesus often cited the writings of the Law and the Prophets to the disciples and others. The New Testament writings/letters had yet to be organized, so new covenant doctrine was largely word of mouth.

Jesus often cited the writings of the Law and the Prophets to the disciples and others. The New Testament writings/letters had yet to be organized, so new covenant doctrine was largely word of mouth.
And why did Christ do so, because the OT authors completely mischaracterized God and or God's intent of laws and traditions. That's why the OT, as a Christian, a lot of can be tossed out when it comes to creating doctrine or orthodoxy. Great history and literary, but doctrine, nope, don't need it.

Still, the idea that to be a Christian, you need a Bible, or believe that it's infallible and the "Word of God", is never stated by Christ, nor does the bilble affirm that of itself in any way. There are plenty of Christians that will say, you can't be a Christian if you don't believe the Bible is the ordained and infallible "Word of God". To that I would say, Hog wash. If the early Christians, who were mostly illiterate anyways, didn't need a Bible, than why do Christians today need it?

What's that answer?

Isaiah 7:14 is about Hezekiah, not Jesus.
Of course. I pointed out the major difference between "a virgin shall conceive" in the KJV as opposed to "a young woman is with child" used in the translation that I recommend, the NEB.

And why did Christ do so, because the OT authors completely mischaracterized God and or God's intent of laws and traditions. That's why the OT, as a Christian, a lot of can be tossed out when it comes to creating doctrine or orthodoxy. Great history and literary, but doctrine, nope, don't need it.

Still, the idea that to be a Christian, you need a Bible, or believe that it's infallible and the "Word of God", is never stated by Christ, nor does the bilble affirm that of itself in any way. There are plenty of Christians that will say, you can't be a Christian if you don't believe the Bible is the ordained and infallible "Word of God". To that I would say, Hog wash. If the early Christians, who were mostly illiterate anyways, didn't need a Bible, than why do Christians today need it?

What's that answer?
The Bible is like our Constitution, it's a confirming document that keeps us on the straight and narrow. Also, it helps to write stuff down as there is way too much for us to remember. It's also a history book that tells us where we've been and reveals where we're going. It's the uniform body of knowledge central to our faith.

The Bible is like our Constitution, it's a confirming document that keeps us on the straight and narrow. Also, it helps to write stuff down as there is way too much for us to remember. It's also a history book that tells us where we've been and reveals where we're going. It's the uniform body of knowledge central to our faith.
But the bible, has created more division than it has ever uniformed, organized, or kept believers on the straight and narrow. In fact it has only ever created more paths. Christians have been put to death over varying doctrinal beliefs. How many denominations do we have now.... All because of the Bible, and man's desire to have the lock on interpretation.

If perfect, than it should be perfectly written and prescribed. But alas, it is not.

The history point, is valid. That's really what it is.

But the bible, has created more division than it has ever uniformed, organized, or kept believers on the straight and narrow. In fact it has only ever created more paths. Christians have been put to death over varying doctrinal beliefs. How many denominations do we have now.... All because of the Bible, and man's desire to have the lock on interpretation.

If perfect, than it should be perfectly written and prescribed. But alas, it is not.

The history point, is valid. That's really what it is.
True that 'holy writ' can only guide us so far. The Holy Spirit is our true guide.

Hal Lindsey borrowed it from felon Cyrus Scofield and the Darbyites.

Interesting. I had not heard of either, so I looked them up. The Darbyites seem to be people who have a different interpretation of biblical scripture than other churches. Of course, that is true of every church.

In Scofield’s young manhood, he committed several egregious acts, starting with deserting as a confederate soldier and swearing all allegiance to the enemies in the north. He then went deeper into criminality to forgery accepting bribes even sinking solo as to become a lawyer.

Following a religious conversion, he abandoned all such activities and published a Bible with an annotations was that is very popular as aid to learning scripture. Indeed, he addressed the prophecies in the Bible as if they were valid predictions of future events.

That seems to be pretty straightforward examples of the wide variety of differing Christian religious beliefs, but I think by your tone you met them to sound somehow disreputable. Maybe that was a vibe that I misinterpreted?

I take it that both Scofield and the Darbyites predicted the resurrection of Israel over 100 years before the actual event?

I was unable to find the Scofield felony conviction to which you refer. Can you link me to it?

What's that answer?
The early Christians, mostly Jews, knew the Law having it been the focus of their lives for generation. Jesus, and later the apostles, revealed what the intention of the Law was. Today the church is guided by the Holy Spirit. The Bible is still useful, just as books from medical school are still useful to a doctor.

Interesting. I had not heard of either, so I looked them up. The Darbyites seem to be people who have a different interpretation of biblical scripture than other churches. Of course, that is true of every church.

In Scofield’s young manhood, he committed several egregious acts, starting with deserting as a confederate soldier and swearing all allegiance to the enemies in the north. He then went deeper into criminality to forgery accepting bribes even sinking solo as to become a lawyer.

Following a religious conversion, he abandoned all such activities and published a Bible with an annotations was that is very popular as aid to learning scripture. Indeed, he addressed the prophecies in the Bible as if they were valid predictions of future events.

That seems to be pretty straightforward examples of the wide variety of differing Christian religious beliefs, but I think by your tone you met them to sound somehow disreputable. Maybe that was a vibe that I misinterpreted?

I take it that both Scofield and the Darbyites predicted the resurrection of Israel over 100 years before the actual event?

I was unable to find the Scofield felony conviction to which you refer. Can you link me to it?

He also abandoned his wife and children. Scofield never converted. He was hired by Samuel Untermyer (famous US Zionist) who declared economic war on Germany in 1933 from Madison Square Garden.

The Darbyites based their futuristic version of Revelation on the dream of a teenage girl in Scotland.

In 1862, after spending a month in Chimborazo Hospital in Richmond, Virginia, Scofield successfully petitioned for a discharge.

Scofield then returned to Lebanon, TN and was conscripted again into Confederate service. Ordered to McMinnville, Tennessee, Scofield deserted and escaped behind Union lines in Bowling Green, Kentucky. After taking the Union oath of allegiance, Scofield was allowed safe passage to St. Louis, Missouri, where he settled.

Lawyer and politician

In 1866, he married Leontine LeBeau Cerrè, a member of a prominent French Catholic family in St. Louis.[6] Scofield apprenticed in the law office of his brother-in-law and then worked in the St. Louis assessor's office before moving to Atchison, Kansas, in late 1869. In 1871, Scofield was elected to the Kansas House of Representatives, first from Atchison for one year and then from Nemaha County, for a second.

In 1873 he worked for the election of John J. Ingalls as senator from Kansas, and when Ingalls won, the new senator had Scofield appointed U. S. District Attorney for Kansas—at 29, the youngest in the country.

Nevertheless, that same year Scofield was forced to resign "under a cloud of scandal" because of questionable financial transactions, which may have included accepting bribes from railroads, stealing political contributions intended for Ingalls, and securing bank promissory notes by forging signatures. It is possible Scofield was jailed on forgery charges, although there is no extant evidence in the public records.

Forum List

Back