Best Places to Live???

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Help me move.
You cannot beat the weather in San Diego County. Multiple sources say it is the best weather on earth. We have every climate zone on earth except two - Arctic and Tropical. And where I live 4 weather zones converge making it the best of the best.

But done with California politics. Democrats have the State imploding and it's time for this born and raised SoCal kid and his wife to jump ship.

So where to go? Need at least a few acres of land. Don't need a job, so don't need a big city nearby. Don't do snow that is not going to melt in a few days. Don't do desert of Arizona or the high humidity of the Gulf coast. I don't do flat, has to be at least hills. Wife doesn't do tornados or hurricanes.

Right now eyeballing the regions of east Kentucky and Tennessee, west half regions of Virginia or North Carolina.

Suggestions would be appreciated. And also why you suggest it.

So you want to leave one of the best places in the country over some perceived notion of politics for a better life in Gooberville?

Good luck with that.

There's a very good reason why property values are so high in places like CA and NY and so low in places like Kentucky and Tennessee.

Just sayin'

So you want to leave one of the best places in the country over some perceived notion of politics for a better life in Gooberville?

Good luck with that.
i just left it....and were i am i bought a 16 year old 3 bed 2 bath house in a solid middle class neighborhood for $155,000.....were i came from in Orange County that house would have been $300,000 easy in a half ass neighborhood.......Cal used to be many years ago the best place to live bar none.....

There's a very good reason why property values are so high in places like CA and NY and so low in places like Kentucky and Tennessee.

Just sayin'
and many of those properties are way over priced.....go visit Garden Grove and look at all those 3-4 hundred thousand dollar OLD houses that look like shit in run down neighborhoods.....30 years ago those same areas were much nicer....not anymore....just sayin....

The good thing about living in the "High Rent District" all my life is that when I get ready to move on, I'll be able to pocket a shitload of money no matter where I go (as long as it's not CA or HI).

We left northern Cali for Missouri. Now I live on seven acres in a bunch trees with squirrels and raccoons for neighbors.
I can't think where should live though Cuz YER TOO DAMN PICKY!

Just sayin'
and many of those properties are way over priced.....go visit Garden Grove and look at all those 3-4 hundred thousand dollar OLD houses that look like shit in run down neighborhoods.....30 years ago those same areas were much nicer....not anymore....just sayin....
Crap, my Great Grandparents house in Redondo is still standing. Over a hundred years old, leaks air like a screen door thru the walls, maybe 1100 sq ft and is on a tiny parcel. A mile from the water, no view except the houses packed in around it. Zillow has it at a million.

The good thing about living in the "High Rent District" all my life is that when I get ready to move on, I'll be able to pocket a shitload of money no matter where I go (as long as it's not CA or HI).
thats the only advantage i had when i sold my house.....lots of cash to invest in a great house elsewhere...

Just sayin'
Crap, my Great Grandparents house in Redondo is still standing. Over a hundred years old, leaks air like a screen door thru the walls, maybe 1100 sq ft and is on a tiny parcel. A mile from the water, no view except the houses packed in around it. Zillow has it at a million.
you are comparing Redondo Beach with Garden Grove?.......obviously you havent been to GG ....lol....

Just sayin'
you are comparing Redondo Beach with Garden Grove?.......obviously you havent been to GG ....lol....
Lived and escaped OC. Only reason GG prices did not match is the immigrants turned the place into the same shithole they just escaped from.

Just sayin'
Lived and escaped OC. Only reason GG prices did not match is the immigrants turned the place into the same shithole they just escaped from.
right,no argument there,but the house prices are still up in the 2-4 hundred thousands for old crappy places......Redondo is a whole different ballgame....

San Diego's great. Stop listening to your stupid right wing blowhards about California and you'll be fine in relatively blue SD. Or move to Republican hell, Orange County and shut up.

Just sayin'
right,no argument there,but the house prices are still up in the 2-4 hundred thousands for old crappy places......Redondo is a whole different ballgame....
My point is still crappy homes. I don't go with the "prices are high so it must be nice" rant. I used to work at a billion dollar corporation, the CEO's house in the Midwest was valued at less than mine. And our paychecks were more than a few decimal places off from each other.

Just sayin'

You need to get out more. I needed to flee Cali before it became trendy. Left Silicon Valley to continue working as an independent consultant. Asked my clients if they cared where I was located. They said it wouldn't make a difference.

So -- we looked for fantastic housing opportunities, great public schools, and good governance. Did a tour of the "SEC school" areas, because I went to an SEC school and remember being impressed with the "neighborhoods" and countryside.

Settled on the south of Nashville area. Got a newer home 3 times the size of our "$1Mill" tract home in Cali that was a half mile from the San Andreas fault, without earthquake insurance. Because the state of Cali had totally fucked up the earthquake insurance market by taking it over. Enrollment went from 70% of homeowners to less than 30% in just 3 or 4 years. Three times the home, Three times the land. 1/2 of the price...

It's BEAUTIFUL, it's well governed, my daughter went to schools that consistently make the top 100 list in the nation. Many of my immediate neighbors are professionals that commute by AIR to jobs all over the country. Along with the massive home offices that they can have here.

I can go dine in 6 languages. Have a Trader Joes. The music scene here is the best in the nation. I live on Chinese food and didn't have to give that up. Get a few "snow days" every winter. And plenty of seasonal change. SO nice -- my lefty, NY Times reading, Democrat worshipping in-laws, saw this place and ABANDONED Milwaukee WI and joined us here in the SAME YEAR.. :lmao:

Forum List

Back