Before anyone else says anything more about assault weapons

As if defining an assault rifle as an automatic fire weapon will make us all feel better about the fact that Yidnar, Matthew, Warbler, LGS, Big Derp and Li'l Derp can get their fuck-all crazy hands on a machine that can shoot 30 bullets in 15 seconds.

And what machine is that? Like I said, please know what you're talking about. An AR-15 has no such rate of fire.

I am going to have to start bookmarking these things. Video is 11 seconds long by the way. He starts at 1 and done by 6.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAv_hWWgfPk]AR15 30 round hipfire - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
As if defining an assault rifle as an automatic fire weapon will make us all feel better about the fact that Yidnar, Matthew, Warbler, LGS, Big Derp and Li'l Derp can get their fuck-all crazy hands on a machine that can shoot 30 bullets in 15 seconds.

And what machine is that? Like I said, please know what you're talking about. An AR-15 has no such rate of fire.

I am going to have to start bookmarking these things. Video is 11 seconds long by the way. He starts at 1 and done by 6.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAv_hWWgfPk]AR15 30 round hipfire - YouTube[/ame]

Sure is unfortunate that the chick in Georgia didnt have that weapon.
He most definitely wouldnt have drove away.

An AR15 is a shorter, semi-auto version of the full-auto M16. Basically an M16 for civilians...but with a different name.

And for a bonus 10 points....who can tell us what the "AR" in AR-15 stands for????

1) You couldn't be more wrong.

2) Armalite Rifle.

Hmm. Thats funny.

Because when I worked at APD, we had "patrol rifles", which were from the Deptartment of Defense surplus program, and they were M16's with full auto (APD disabled the full auto and made them semi only) that were Vietnam era issue.

AND, I own a personal AR15. Rock River to be exact. 16".

And I could take my Rock River, undo the top and bottom half, and do the same with the M16, and switch the top half of the M16 and AR15, and guess what? Both guns still fired.

They are the exact same fucking thing, with various lengths, barrels, stocks, etc.

I can take every part out of that M16, and AR15, and they are interchangable. They use the same damn ammo (5.56 or .223, although its recommended not to shoot 5.56 through a designated .223 chamber just because the pressure is a bit more). They use the same damn magazines.

You are the one who is wrong here. I can make any M16 semiauto. And any AR15 full auto.

Read up before you spew nonsense.

Glad to see you apply the same lofty thought to the man as the gun.

Bravo.

I don't. A gun is amoral, the person who fired the gun is immoral as is the NRA.

Yes I know it is the NRA's fault. Bravo again. You're on a roll of higher thought.

I'm not blaming the NRA, I simply state for the record the NRA is immoral. Understand, they oppose every effort to protect innocent citizens from gun violence. The cause of the carnage at Sandy Hook was the shooter. There are many other 'causes' but the primary or proximate cause is the shooter.

Secondary causes include the first victim who did not properly secure her guns; the failure of the state of Connecticut to fund a proactive mental health system and probably dozens of others. The NRA is one of the others. The NRA does so to support the gun industry and in recent statements have made it clear the gun industry is the what they will protect over and future first graders. Of this there is no doubt. That is (sadly) only one of the too many examples of why the NRA is an Immoral organization.

An AR15 is a shorter, semi-auto version of the full-auto M16. Basically an M16 for civilians...but with a different name.

And for a bonus 10 points....who can tell us what the "AR" in AR-15 stands for????

2) Armalite Rifle.

Hmm. Thats funny.

Because when I worked at APD, we had "patrol rifles", which were from the Deptartment of Defense surplus program, and they were M16's with full auto (APD disabled the full auto and made them semi only) that were Vietnam era issue.

And I could take my Rock River, undo the top and bottom half, and do the same with the M16, and switch the top half of the M16 and AR15, and guess what? Both guns still fired.

They are the exact same fucking thing, with various lengths, barrels, stocks, etc.

I can take every part out of that M16, and AR15, and they are interchangable. They use the same damn ammo (5.56 or .223, although its recommended not to shoot 5.56 through a designated .223 chamber just because the pressure is a bit more). They use the same damn magazines.

You are the one who is wrong here. I can make any M16 semiauto. And any AR15 full auto.

Nope. An AR 15 is not a shorter M16. It can be.

As designed by Armalite it was 20in w/ A2 buttstock.

It has been sold in the 20 inch A1/A2 configuration by Colt and others.

Last edited:

It stands for Assault Rifle of course, However in it's civilian single fire version it does not meet the legal Definition of an Assault Rifle because the law requires it not be full auto Capable.

Actually no, the AR stands for the original company who designed the gun before Colt bought them. It stands for ArmaLite.

EDIT: Nevermind, someone answered the question.

Last edited:
I can take every part out of that M16, and AR15, and they are interchangable.

Wrong yet again.

Ok Rambo. Explain it to me then. Im sure there will be some miniscule little part or rod that you say is different.

The upper on each will fire on the lower of the other. The mags for each work with the other. The ammo for each works with the other. The bolt. Bolt carrier. All work with the other. Handguards are interchangable. Stocks are interchangeable.

Im actually interested in hearing exactly what makes the "assault rifle" different from the AR15.

BTW, know why the APD swat team disabled the full auto on those Dept of Defense surplus M16's? Because in their opinion (almost all ex military guys) in CQB it is far more efficient to use semi-auto and have better shot selection. More "hits" per bullet ratio, less wasted shots. A more effective killing machine in a close quarters environment. Imagine that.

The Court has also ruled that weapons ‘in common use at the time’ are subject to Constitutional protection, specifically, handguns.

The question now is: which category applies to semi-auto weapons such as the AR? Is it ‘dangerous and unusual’ or ‘in common use at the time’?

In the opinion of many it’s the latter – and I’m inclined to agree.

You realize the vast majority of handguns out there are semi auto functioning, right? Semi auto as been around for over 100 years. It has the exact same result as an old fashion revolver...one pull of the trigger, one round fired. Revolvers can hold lots of rounds, or just a few. Same with a semi auto pistol. Point is, semi auto firearms are absolutely "in common use". You want to separate out the AR platform because it LOOKS like a military firearm but functionally, it's no damn different than my deer rifle. Logic escapes you.

2) Armalite Rifle.

Hmm. Thats funny.

Nope. An AR 15 is not a shorter M16. It can be.

As designed by Armalite it was 20in w/ A2 buttstock.

It has been sold in the 20 inch A1/A2 configuration by Colt and others.

:badgrin::badgrin:

Ah, so the STOCK is the big difference huh? A part that can be swapped out in 5 minutes? Whose only function is to rest the shoulder and cheek on? THAT is what you are saying is the difference?

Way to go Rambo, you are indeed a gun expert:eusa_clap:

Im actually interested in hearing exactly what makes the "assault rifle" different from the AR15

Full auto and/or burst capability.

BTW, know why the APD swat team disabled the full auto on those Dept of Defense surplus M16's? Because in their opinion (almost all ex military guys) in CQB it is far more efficient to use semi-auto and have better shot selection. More "hits" per bullet ratio, less wasted shots. A more effective killing machine in a close quarters environment. Imagine that.

Correct, which is why we see a statistically insignificant number of full auto firearms used in crime, or in the defense against thugs. Full auto is not the right tool for either job.

Wrong yet again.

Ok Rambo. Explain it to me then. Im sure there will be some miniscule little part or rod that you say is different.

Nope not miniscule. The most important parts. The parts that make an M16 and M16.

And an AR15 and AR15.

Ok then. Explain. Im waiting. Because I KNOW FOR SURE, 100% sure, I can take the upper half of an M16 assault rifle, slap it on the lower half of an AR15, mix up the mags and ammo for both and pick a random mag and random 30 rounds, and it'll work like a charm and fire just fine. And vice versa with AR15 upper/M16 lower. I know because I've done it. Lots of people have.

So, what exactly is the difference?

Forum List

Back