Baseball 2015 Thread

Since this thread came up --- I thought this story was pretty cool:

Four Remarkable Women from Baseball History that Everyone Should Know About

>> Up until World War II, baseball was full of so-called barnstormers -- teams that would tour regions as a sort of carnival act, drawing crowds with bizarre attractions and entertainment. As you might imagine, this spawned innumerable odd stories, like, for example, novelty teams made up entirely of men with one arm or one leg.

But one of the strangest of them all involved Jackie Mitchell, who was just a 17-year-old girl pitching for a Chattanooga semi-pro team when she pulled off one of the most remarkable feats in the history of the game -- on April 2, 1931, Jackie Mitchell faced Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, and struck them both out. << (on a total of seven pitches)

>> .... Undeterred, she [Mamie "Peanut" Johnson] started playing semi-pro ball, where she was eventually spotted by a scout for the Indianapolis Clowns of the Negro American League. The Clowns liked what they saw and signed her along with two others -- infielders Toni Stone and Connie Morgan -- who together became the first women to play at any level higher than the Minor Leagues. <<​

More at the link.

Well, Scott Kazmir got traded from the A's to the Astros in the first of the late-summer clearance sales.

Another good playoff race is for the AL wildcard spots between the Astros, Twins, Detroit, Toronto, Tampa Bay and maybe a couple of others.

I'm sort of reaching if all I can get excited about is the wildcard races. When does the NFL start?

Things can change rapidly, but the key race right now is Giants vs Cubs for the 2nd wildcard spot in the NL.

The Cubs are reported to be making a try for Tigers pitcher David Price.

Also: "The Cubs are offering standout prospect Javier Baez and established shortstop Starlin Castro in an attempt to land Phillies prized pitcher Cole Hamels, a team executive has told ESPN.com senior baseball writer Jayson Stark."

There were rumors a while back that the Giants are also interested in David Price. But, I don't think the Giants should do anything. They need Aoki back so Pagan can catch a rest. At that point they'll have 6 outfielders. I don't see a real opportunity to improve their infield. And they have 6 starting pitchers already (Bumgarner, Cain, Peavy, Heston, Vogelsong, Hudson).

We don't need a shortstop. Got an adequate one and a prospect almost ready.
For that matter we have a 2B who's working out pretty well too.

I dunno, we hear a lot about moving Cole Hamels. Yes he's talent that will bring something, he's durable (goes 110-120 pitches without a sweat and rarely misses any time for injury) --- but the fact is starting pitching is one of our biggest needs. Doesn't make much sense to lose the only ace you have. Then you have to rebuild what you just gave up. Kind of begs the question, what was the point?

I could see moving Papelbon though. Such a deal. I'll throw in a Ryan Howard. :D

Speaking of Cole Hamels..... he's pitching a no-hitter right now at Wrigley. 9th inning. :eusa_pray:

...... and BAM there it is. :eusa_dance:

Last edited:
MLB Trades.

Troy Tulowitzki joins the potent Toronto lineup.

Cole Hammels gets traded to Texas.

A’s trade away Kazmir (Astros), Zobrist (Royals) and Clippard (Mets).

Most of the big deals involved players going to bubble teams. The division-leading Royals were the exception, acquiring Cueto in addition to Zobrist.

Thank God sports fans are nicer and more respectable towards each other, than those angry posters in the Israel_Palestine forum. With that being said...

...Mike Trout, mother-fuckers, Mike Trout!

Bryce who?

And I almost forgot, as a Dodger fan...

...fuck the Yankees!

Thank God sports fans are nicer and more respectable towards each other, than those angry posters in the Israel_Palestine forum. With that being said...

...Mike Trout, mother-fuckers, Mike Trout!

Bryce who?

And I almost forgot, as a Dodger fan...

...fuck the Yankees!

yeah all those Israel paid shills in that section that the mods let troll everyday.this site is a joke.

MLB Trades.

Most of the big deals involved players going to bubble teams. The division-leading Royals were the exception, acquiring Cueto in addition to Zobrist.

as a long suffering Royals fan who had to endure decades of futility because of an owner named David ASS who made the Royals into a minor league team because they were just developing all their prospects from their farm system for other major league teams letting them go once they got good,I very much sympathise with you having an an asshole of an owner in Billy Beane doing the same thing David Ass did for so many decades with the Royals making them a laughingstock for so long.

with all the talk of oakland possibly losing all three of their teams,i feel really bad for the oakland fans especially right now because they are the most loyal fans you can find around the country.They really impress me with their loyalty.when i was watching the royals play them down in oakland,even though they were being blown out in the 9th inning,many were still there despite that cheering them on beating their drum,

their fans deserve a lot better than the bullshit Beane is putting them through.:mad:

thats why I was so happy the warriors won the championship.Oakland has something to at least be proud about for a while.:thup:

thats why I was so happy the warriors won the championship.Oakland has something to at least be proud about for a while

The Warriors championship couldn't have come at a better time. They'll be running the court and unfurling the banner about the time the Raiders and Niners hopes are dashed. just kidding, sort of

The Royals are now the best team in the AL, if they weren't already. I'd definitely root for them over the Angels, Yankees and Astros.

I had the A's game on last night, with the sound off. I had to look away when the bullpen gave up the game. That's the story of the season, along with their MLB leading 87 errors. Marcus Semien needs to go to shortstop camp or something. But, they're only 1 year removed from being playoff contenders. The bullpen gave up last year's playoff game to the Royals. A's had a 4 run lead. You can talk about Cespedes and Donaldson and overpaying for Billy Butler. But, you need to have a lock-down bullpen (like the Royals) to play 21st century baseball.

MLB Trades.

David Price to Toronto.

That should wrap it up.
The Hamels trade still hasn't been officially announced, even though all the details of involved players are out.

Toronto sits at .500. They're 5-5 in their last 10 games. But it doesn't take much to catch the Orioles and the Twins.

Meanwhile the White Sox have won 7 straight.

that the Giants are only a half game back in the standings
Alright, I'm issuing a "thread ban", that goes into effect immediately.

For the next 24 hours, there will be no mention of Giants or Stroh's.

200px-Strohs.JPG

:beer:

BlueJays just picked up Ben Revere too. Solid 300 contact hitter, blinding speed and the maker of the most amazing outfield catch I've ever seen in my life.

Tulo, Price and now Revere. AL East just got more interesting.
Go Jays :eusa_dance:

Last edited:
BlueJays just picked up Ben Revere too. Solid 300 contact hitter, blinding speed and the maker of the most amazing outfield catch I've ever seen in my life.

Tulo, Price and now Revere. AL East just got more interesting.
Go Jays :eusa_dance:

This is considered the greatest catch in MLB history.

Forum List

Back