Bans on car parts?

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
Rod reads more news than I do and he fills me in on stuff I miss from time to time. He was telling me last night he had read where Obama wants to ban used car parts such as motors and tranny's. So I went looking to see if I could find where he read this. Did not find that but found this information on Oregon legislation.

GREENHOUSE GASES: House Bill 2186, which would direct the state Environmental Quality Commission to develop rules to limit greenhouse gas emissions, was in the Senate Rules Committee. The bill was heard Wednesday.

That does not sound bad until one reads what the bill actually is. This is the kind of representation that the people of Oregon are getting from some of their politicians. It makes me wonder how many actual intelligent people do we have in elected offices in this country.

75th OREGON LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY--2009 Regular Session
House Bill 2186
Ordered printed by the Speaker pursuant to House Rule 12.00A (5). Presession filed (at the request of Governor
Theodore R. Kulongoski for Department of Environmental Quality)
SUMMARY
The following summary is not prepared by the sponsors of the measure and is not a part of the body thereof subject
to consideration by the Legislative Assembly. It is an editor′s brief statement of the essential features of the
measure as introduced.
Authorizes Environmental Quality Commission to adopt rules to help state to achieve
greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals. Specifies rules that commission may adopt.
Declares emergency, effective on passage.
A BILL FOR AN ACT
Relating to greenhouse gas emissions; and declaring an emergency.
Be It Enacted by the People of the State of Oregon:
SECTION 1. Sections 2 and 3 of this 2009 Act are added to and made a part of ORS
chapter 468A.
SECTION 2. As used in section 3 of this 2009 Act:
(1) “Greenhouse gas” has the meaning given that term in ORS 468A.210.
(2) “Heavy-duty truck” has the meaning given that term in ORS 468A.795.
(3) “Medium-duty truck” has the meaning given that term in ORS 468A.795.
(4) “Motor vehicle” has the meaning given that term in ORS 825.005.
SECTION 3. (1) The Environmental Quality Commission may adopt by rule the following
to help this state achieve the greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals specified in ORS
468A.205:
(a) Low carbon fuel standards for fuel that is used for transportation;
(b) Restrictions and prohibitions on the use of substances that contain, release or cause
to be released greenhouse gases, if alternatives are available;
(c) Requirements to maintain or retrofit medium-duty and heavy-duty trucks in order to
reduce aerodynamic drag and otherwise reduce greenhouse gas emissions from those trucks;
(d) Restrictions and prohibitions on the sale and distribution of after-market motor ve-
hicle parts, including but not limited to tires, if alternatives are available that decrease
greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles;
(e) Requirements for motor vehicle service providers to check and inflate tire pressure
according to manufacturer recommended specifications; and
(f) Restrictions on engine use by parked commercial vehicles, including but not limited
to medium-duty trucks and heavy-duty trucks, and by commercial ships while at port, and
requirements that truck stops and ports provide alternatives to engine use such as electric
power.
(2) In adopting rules under this section, the commission:
(a) Shall consider safety, feasibility and cost-effectiveness; and
(b) May differentiate between different areas of the state, different greenhouse gases and
different categories of substances, fuels, motor vehicles or other equipment or activities that contribute directly or indirectly to greenhouse gas emissions.
SECTION 4. This 2009 Act being necessary for the immediate preservation of the public
peace, health and safety, an emergency is declared to exist, and this 2009 Act takes effect
on its passage

Rod reads more news than I do and he fills me in on stuff I miss from time to time. He was telling me last night he had read where Obama wants to ban used car parts such as motors and tranny's. So I went looking to see if I could find where he read this. Did not find that but found this information on Oregon legislation.

GREENHOUSE GASES: House Bill 2186, which would direct the state Environmental Quality Commission to develop rules to limit greenhouse gas emissions, was in the Senate Rules Committee. The bill was heard Wednesday.

Oregon and California, by pushing for more electrically powered cars, are exporting the resulting greenhouse gas emissions to states which produce the electricity they power their cars with; this of course does not overall diminish green house gases.

Oregon and California, by pushing for more electrically powered cars, are exporting the resulting greenhouse gas emissions to states which produce the electricity they power their cars with; this of course does not overall diminish green house gases.
"Green house gases" hysteria is nothing more than a money grab. No doubt that in many areas people need to be more efficient in dealing with waste etc.. yet adding burdens on the working man such as these type of ideas proliferate are killing even the simple liberties and freedoms in this country.

I look back to the days I started my first contract when I hear about this kind of crap. All we had was my old 71' Dodge pickup. We picked up old Plymouth, Chrysler, Dodge engines for that pickup for years to keep it running. Since we had more time than money we could change out the engine of an old car that needed to be crush from any other old Chrysler product and put it in the old Dodge. That old pickup is still in our driveway and it still runs. "Poor people have poor ways" fit to a tee in those days.

That ability to be innovative and creative to keep things going kept us going. The dream is being stolen right out from under our noses by people who come up with these dumb ass ideas that will line someones pocket book while stifling those who have a dream of owning a home, operating a small business, being able to afford that new car some day or just being able to pay the bills.

The people of this nation are being forced into a box by people who have a desire to have ultimate control.

This has been proposed by The Obama, on the national level as well. "Cash for Clunkers" will be mandatory after next Congressional session, and will include "junk" parts outlawed. Got to get this recycling stopped!

This has been proposed by The Obama, on the national level as well. "Cash for Clunkers" will be mandatory after next Congressional session, and will include "junk" parts outlawed. Got to get this recycling stopped!

They seem to have no clue of the impact their solutions will have. For the Ds it comes from a basic failure to understand incentives.

This particular policy is bent on getting us into energy efficient cars and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, as well as rebuilding our economy in alignment with those goals as quickly as possible, so that we don't have an opportunity to swerve away. They really do believe that they and the government have workable solutions, but their basic lack of understanding of incentives shows they do not. A first and early symptom of that lack of understanding is unintended consequences, and they abound.

Last edited:
Great, more government interfering with product sales to push failed products in favor of those that work, that's all this is.

Great, more government interfering with product sales to push failed products in favor of those that work, that's all this is.
What's the matter? You don't want a Government Motors Obama Pedal Car? Don't you wanna' save the Polar Bears? Jeez, look how insensitive you are!

What's the matter? You don't want a Government Motors Obama Pedal Car? Don't you wanna' save the Polar Bears? Jeez, look how insensitive you are!

The polar bears will evolve and adapt eventually so no, I don't care about them. :razz:

The really funny thing is that I have and plan on never driving or owning a car, I just don't like turning more of our lives over to the government.

The polar bears will evolve and adapt eventually so no, I don't care about them. :razz:

The really funny thing is that I have and plan on never driving or owning a car, I just don't like turning more of our lives over to the government.

sorry i am not impressed !

now if you can make a commitment to never own a computer i might say KK is cool ...

now if you can make a commitment to never own a computer i might say KK is cool ...

WTF are you babbling about? Just because I have never had a use for a car nor plan on it ... that equates to my love of technology how?

They seem to have no clue of the impact their "solutions" will have.
For openers, 100s of thousands of people out of work when the junkyards all have to liquidate. Meanwhile the folks are still waiting for even ONE of those "shovel-ready" jobs to materialize, five months after they were promised.

They wanna throw out the baby with the bath water, call it an "emergency" as you see the bill in the OP is doing, then blame it all on "the last eight years of Boooooosh."

Obamacar!!!
obamobile.jpg

Incredibly "green," this car runs on hot air and broken promises. It has three wheels that speed the vehicle through tight left turns. It comes complete with two Teleprompters programmed to help the occupants talk their way out of any violations.

Built by union labor with full benefits, it's base price is only $83,000, but low government financing is available for any payment requested.

Subsidized insurance available!

Loan guarantees and special payment plans for "Undocumented workers."

Non-union American citizens must pay full price of course, plus all taxes.

The transparent canopy reveals the smiles still on the faces of all the happy Librul owners.

50 miles to the gallon and their knees on their chest, they gonna save alot of gas for all the rest!

WTF are you babbling about? Just because I have never had a use for a car nor plan on it ... that equates to my love of technology how?

well you think you're so awesome because you don't have sex and don't drive but actually there are many people like that on the internet.

all i am saying is if you really want to impress us you will have to stop using computers ( including smartphones etc ) ...

well you think you're so awesome because you don't have sex and don't drive but actually there are many people like that on the internet.

all i am saying is if you really want to impress us you will have to stop using computers ( including smartphones etc ) ...

Meh ... I won't, I enjoy my right to be a technogeek just as I also say it's peoples right to drive whatever the hell they want. :eusa_whistle:

wtf are you babbling about? Just because i have never had a use for a car nor plan on it ... That equates to my love of technology how?

All i am saying is if you really want to impress us you will have to stop using computers ( including smartphones etc ) ...

meh ... I won't, i enjoy my right to be a technogeek just as i also say it's peoples right to drive whatever the hell they want. :eusa_whistle:

i'm sorry i was mean. i have a flu right now. i didn't mean it.

* hug *

Last edited:

Forum List

Back